Wild Turkey Killin' BS !

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Wild Turkey Killin' BS !

Post by timbrhuntr »

All I ever hear about is calling is the only way to kill a bird properly, and it must be in close under 40 yards! I asked a while ago about this and where it came from. A true turkey hunter outwits his prey by calling him in and killing him, no decoys, rifles etc etc etc. I was basically told that this is the way the old masters did it and it is tradition. Well I just finished reading 2 books from what understand were 2 of the first ever written on the wild turkey and its hunting. From what I read I am beginning to believe this is just like the you gotta get'em close to kill bow hunting bs. But then you read in Saxton Popes book he often took 100 yard shots at game! Well now I see the same BS in turkey hunting. After reading these books and I get that the authors liked to call but that was not the only tactic and getting a kill was very important. They were not opposed to using a rifle at 75-80 yards and one even describes the rifle as the best weapon and which one to use. So is this like bow hunting where some try to make themselves out as better turkey hunters by putting BS rules (not talking legislated game rules) on it to make themselves out to be better hunters. :stir: :dontknow:
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Wild Turkey Killin' BS !

Post by hawglips »

timbrhuntr wrote:All I ever hear about is calling is the only way to kill a bird properly, and it must be in close under 40 yards! I asked a while ago about this and where it came from. A true turkey hunter outwits his prey by calling him in and killing him, no decoys, rifles etc etc etc. I was basically told that this is the way the old masters did it and it is tradition. Well I just finished reading 2 books from what understand were 2 of the first ever written on the wild turkey and its hunting. From what I read I am beginning to believe this is just like the you gotta get'em close to kill bow hunting bs. But then you read in Saxton Popes book he often took 100 yard shots at game! Well now I see the same BS in turkey hunting. After reading these books and I get that the authors liked to call but that was not the only tactic and getting a kill was very important. They were not opposed to using a rifle at 75-80 yards and one even describes the rifle as the best weapon and which one to use. So is this like bow hunting where some try to make themselves out as better turkey hunters by putting BS rules (not talking legislated game rules) on it to make themselves out to be better hunters. :stir: :dontknow:
From what I've read, the old timers killed them any way they could. Including rifles, shooting them off the roost, etc. I have heard that it was common in some places to even tote both a shotgun and a rifle when turkey hunting.
blunderbuss

Post by blunderbuss »

How far back are we talking about? There was a huge difference between the market 'hunters' of the 1700 and 1800's and the 'sport' hunter of the 1900's. :slap:
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

blunderbuss wrote:How far back are we talking about? There was a huge difference between the market 'hunters' of the 1700 and 1800's and the 'sport' hunter of the 1900's. :slap:
I'm talking about 1960s and 1970.

I know at least one guy who frequents this board that used to tote both the rifle and shotgun when it was legal.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

blunderbuss wrote:How far back are we talking about? There was a huge difference between the market 'hunters' of the 1700 and 1800's and the 'sport' hunter of the 1900's. :slap:
That is something I am curious about as well.. Waterfowl had the same thing and almost wiped out the waterfowl population with punt guns, sink boxes, sneak boats etc..
blunderbuss

Post by blunderbuss »

Toted both? I'm trying to get the .410 up to speed, carrying just the 12 is too much! Or I've been toting too long. :thumbleft:
blunderbuss

Post by blunderbuss »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
blunderbuss wrote:How far back are we talking about? There was a huge difference between the market 'hunters' of the 1700 and 1800's and the 'sport' hunter of the 1900's.

That is something I am curious about as well.. Waterfowl had the same thing and almost wiped out the waterfowl population with punt guns, sink boxes, sneak boats etc..
I bristle when I hear the 'market hunters' of the early days referred to as hunters, they were shooters that were supplying meat to the city folk. Anything with meat on its bones was fair game including song birds. With commercial animal husbandry supplying meat to the masses today's hunter is a totally different definition.
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Hey if its Legal, Safe, and your having fun :thumbright:
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Talking about these guys Edward A. McIlhenney and Tom Turpin not market hunting since I don't think they called much so I doubt the reference to only calling in turkeys would have come from there. :slap: :lol: :roll:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

timbrhuntr wrote:So is this like bow hunting where some try to make themselves out as better turkey hunters by putting BS rules (not talking legislated game rules) on it to make themselves out to be better hunters. :stir: :dontknow:
It's a personal choice issue. I rarely if ever see any of the no blind, no deke, call them to the gun crowd try to make themselves out to be better hunters. I see more of it the other way around. People saying they killed a bird by using decoys and sitting in a blind. Then turn around and act like they have to justify it :dontknow: Maybe some are better at hunting without the extra aids, and some are better at hunting with them. Like kids learning to ride a bike. One kid takes off his training wheels and helmet and the other never takes them off or puts them back on. Does that mean the kid without the extra wheels and helmet is better at riding a bike? I don't think so. Just one might better at riding one on two wheels and no helmet and the other might be better at riding one on four wheels while wearing a helmet. If someone wants to ride around on a bike with four wheels and wear a helmet by all means they have my blessing. Maybe he's in a neighborhood with more traffic and mean people who throw rocks at him so he needs them.

Again it's a personal choice, and how the next guy chooses to hunt or ride his bike doesn't concern me in the least. Nor does how some guy I've never heard of hunted 100-200 years ago.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

Yeah, but what about those of us that have to ride a tricycle?... :toothy7:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

GobbleNut wrote:Yeah, but what about those of us that have to ride a tricycle?... :toothy7:
As long as you wear your helmet, goggles, knee and elbow pads you ride as good as the other two. :lol:

You may want to opt for one of those red flags on a long pole attached to the trike. Make it easdier for the old folks home to find you once they realized you escaped and can't find your way back in time for supper.
Double Naught Spy!
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

So you agree that its total BS then ! :toothy7:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

timbrhuntr wrote:So you agree that its total BS then ! :toothy7:
Yep. I'm for people killing them how they can. If that means riding a four wheel bicycle with a helmet carrying DSD decoys and a Doublebull blind and no calls, then go kill them and be proud. Just don't put your tongue on the poles in the Doublebull blind if it's freezing. :D
Double Naught Spy!
Bigspurs68

Post by Bigspurs68 »

I'm sure that most of the old school turkey hunters that had a love for hunting the bird and for eating the bird, couldn't have cared less about what others thought of their ethics. If a bird came to the call, it was killed. If a bird spent it's day in the middle of a field, maybe a rifle came out. They weren't influenced by all the crap that hunters are today. The idea was and still is, to kill turkeys. That's why we carry things to shoot them with. We are spoiled these days with more turkeys, better info, better gear and guns. Take that all away and you can bet your tail feathers that I'd be happy to walk to the house with a long spurred bird on my shoulder and a .222 in my hand. Wouldn't care much about what others thought either.
This spring, if that's your thing, be safe and have at it. Maybe yelp once if you care what others think.
I read a story once of a fella hunting a ol swamp gobbler that gave him fits for a whole season. In the end, he broke out a .22 hornet and shot him out of his tree. I wouldn't go quite that far but the point is.. He did what he did with no shame, the bird is dead, he was happy and even wrote of it. I'm sure that's not the only occasion that a bird drove a old timer nuts.
Momma said "kill that turkey"
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

I don't use dekes nor blinds and I kill birds. Does that make me better than those that do, absolutely not, it my preference no to use those. To me a blind and decoy slow me down, And I never no from one hunt to the next what I will be doing. I'm like the rest of us, kill your bird your way and I will kill mine my way, in the end we both accomplished the same mission, just took 2 different routes to get there. It doesn't bother me one single bit the manner that someone kills a turkey, what they choose to do is their business. I don't need to hear justification on why someone used a decoy and a blind to kill a bird either, again it doesn't matter. For me it's about the hunt and how I arrived at my killing spot. I don't use decoys because once a bird lays eyes on the decoy they either haul butt in it haul butt away, and for me that does nothing. But to another guy that doesn't hunt much seeing that old Tom run into his decoy might give him the same thrill that I experience when not using decoys. Doesn't mean I'm better or he's not better its a choice. I've killd birds using decoys many years ago and at that time it meant something to me, but now I have an empty feeling when using them successfully. Thats another thing, success has different meanings from one hunter to the next. 1 guy might like to ambush and not call and the others like to call and not crawl. Again their choice. I personally think it takes as Much skill to crawl on a bird than as it does calling a bird. Would I do it, damn right I would, but it would be a last ditch resort. The latest thrill is fanning, to me it looks like an awesome rush, would I do it, no, it's a safety thing for me. And again to me it looks like it involves a lot of work and practice to fan a bird in. So some people have skills in some areas whil other's have skills in the other areas, in the end they both kill turkeys just in different manners. Me personally I'm for which ever makes you happy! That's your choice as a hunter, I might not agree with it but doesn't mean im judging you or thinking I'm better than you.
Pass the biscuits!!
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

My son killed his first turkey out of a blind with a full strut decoy out front. I had made the decoy out of a hard bodied hen and a cape from a gobbler I had killed. Long story short...The bird hit the road bed close to a quarter mile north of us and I called to him. I could actually see him gobble through my bino's but couldn't hear him. He closed the distance quick and lost all his senses when he keyed in on the strutting decoy like nothing I've ever seen a mature gobbler do. My son killed that bird...but in MY mind, I cheated my son and the turkey. The strutter decoy is now a permanent fixture on a shelf in my shop and has never moved in the last seven years. To each his own, but it's not for me. When hunting public land I atually like to see folks in blinds hunting over decoys. It keeps them in one location and occupied.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

KPcalls wrote:When hunting public land I atually like to see folks in blinds hunting over decoys. It keeps them in one location and occupied.
Exactly my train of thought. I have always said I wish everyone used decoys and blinds, except me. Just for the reason you pointed out. A lot of people see a blind as an advantage, I view it as a huge disadvantage in almost every situation and terrain.
Double Naught Spy!
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

One event comes to mind Ronnie while hunting a WMA in Florida. We drove 12 hours through the night to get to where we were going to hunt. After getting to the area we were going to start out at and waiting on daylight a guy walks up on us and tells us he had already marked the spot....WTH..He set up his blind and a flock of decoy's not 50 yards from us. I was about to loose my mind .... :banghead: My friend calmed me down when he said " Don't sweat it...when a bird gobbles we will go to him and kill him" Daylight broke, a bird gobbled..we went to the bird and killed him...another gobbled...another dead turkey. I'm sure both would have ended up in the field he was set up on if they were given the chance... :lol:
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I think it is a good point made by ya'll that to just hunt them the way that makes you personally happy. I do think turkey hunting evolves for the turkey hunter. I think the longer you hunt them you start to refine your techniques and how you personally enjoy hunting them.
Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

I was once told that the old timers used to dig shallow trenches and fill them with corn.
When the turkeys arrived, they would line up on both sides of the trench and stick their heads down to eat. One shot down the trench often netted several birds at once.
Is that hunting? I guess. It's just not the way I want to do it.
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Tail Feathers wrote:I was once told that the old timers used to dig shallow trenches and fill them with corn.
When the turkeys arrived, they would line up on both sides of the trench and stick their heads down to eat. One shot down the trench often netted several birds at once.
Yup and the Indians would drive turkeys to a big cliff, the turkeys would get to the cliff and have no choice and jump off the cliff and fall on the ground where the Indians would take them for food.
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
Tail Feathers wrote:I was once told that the old timers used to dig shallow trenches and fill them with corn.
Yup and the Indians would drive turkeys to a big cliff, the turkeys would get to the cliff and have no choice and jump off the cliff and fall on the ground where the Indians would take them for food.
When did they learn to fly? :stir: :turkeywave:
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
I heard they used those same tactics with buffalo ;)

As far as the bike riding goes I couldn't afford one so when the older kid next door abandoned his I took it. It didn't have training wheels so I learned without them. It took a bit of falling on my head but once I got it it was very easy to ride. I then saw other kids with training wheels and thought hmm wonder what they are like. When one kid took his off I put them on my bike to try. At first I thought they where good for keeping my bike up but eventually found they slowed me down and didn't really make riding the bike any easier at that point. I bent them up and out of the way.I can bend them back down if I feel like sometimes. As far as the helmet I tried it a few times but find it too restraining and uncomfortable so I probably won`t where it much. ;)
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

KPcalls wrote:My son killed his first turkey out of a blind with a full strut decoy out front. I had made the decoy out of a hard bodied hen and a cape from a gobbler I had killed. Long story short...The bird hit the road bed close to a quarter mile north of us and I called to him. I could actually see him gobble through my bino's but couldn't hear him. He closed the distance quick and lost all his senses when he keyed in on the strutting decoy like nothing I've ever seen a mature gobbler do. My son killed that bird...but in MY mind, I cheated my son and the turkey. The strutter decoy is now a permanent fixture on a shelf in my shop and has never moved in the last seven years. To each his own, but it's not for me. When hunting public land I atually like to see folks in blinds hunting over decoys. It keeps them in one location and occupied.
See this is what I mean. You feel cheated and why do you feel cheated. You called the bird and he came to you from a long distance. Your son got to see this and also experience it. Ya I guess he lost his senses at the end and charged your decoy allowing that your sons was able to successfully kill his first bird ! But you feel cheated why because of somebody else`s idea of how a turkey should be killed .

Return to “Gobbler Talk”