Ky rule change

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
kygobbler

Ky rule change

Post by kygobbler »

Something that I noticed last week was a little rule change. For as long as I know the only shot size you could use for turkey hunting was 4,5, and 6 only. Well for the fall season its nothing bigger than size 4. I read this summer where there was a proposal to change the rule but didn't know if it passed or not.

So when you come to Ky next spring make sure you check the rule book to see if they keep the rule changed or go back to the way it was.

Here is a link to where they changed it for this fall.

http://fw.ky.gov/Hunt/Pages/Spring-Turkey-Hunting.aspx
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Ky rule change

Post by hawglips »

kygobbler wrote:Something that I noticed last week was a little rule change. For as long as I know the only shot size you could use for turkey hunting was 4,5, and 6 only. Well for the fall season its nothing bigger than size 4. I read this summer where there was a proposal to change the rule but didn't know if it passed or not.

So when you come to Ky next spring make sure you check the rule book to see if they keep the rule changed or go back to the way it was.

Glad to see them get out of the dark ages. I noticed there was another state that made a similar move recently - but I can't recall which one it was.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Man I wish they would talk to the regulators here in Ontario !
kygobbler

Post by kygobbler »

hawglips wrote:
kygobbler wrote:Something that I noticed last week was a little rule change. For as long as I know the only shot size you could use for turkey hunting was 4,5, and 6 only. Well for the fall season its nothing bigger than size 4. I read this summer where there was a proposal to change the rule but didn't know if it passed or not.

Glad to see them get out of the dark ages. I noticed there was another state that made a similar move recently - but I can't recall which one it was.

Something else that was on the proposal was to change the caliberation of the shotguns you could use. They were trying to change it to where you could use a .410 to turkey hunt. Im assuming that hasn't passed yet.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

kygobbler, is that for the fall season only? I thought .22 and above caliber was legal too. LOL. But seriously, why would you want to use bigger than #4 shot? JMO.
kygobbler

Post by kygobbler »

Punisher wrote:kygobbler, is that for the fall season only? I thought .22 and above caliber was legal too. LOL. But seriously, why would you want to use bigger than #4 shot? JMO.
:lol: I don't know why anyone would. Then again you never know.
Last edited by kygobbler on December 17th, 2014, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

never mind
BigMick

Post by BigMick »

It's always been no larger than 4's. 5's, 6's, 7's, etc. are all smaller than 4's. I've been hunting in KY since about 1977 and that's the way I always remember it.
kygobbler

Post by kygobbler »

BigMick wrote:It's always been no larger than 4's. 5's, 6's, 7's, etc. are all smaller than 4's. I've been hunting in KY since about 1977 and that's the way I always remember it.
The rule was that you could only use shot size 4,5, and 6. Any other shot size was illegal.
blunderbuss

Post by blunderbuss »

Punisher wrote:kygobbler, is that for the fall season only? I thought .22 and above caliber was legal too. LOL. But seriously, why would you want to use bigger than #4 shot? JMO.
Here in Western NY many use #2 lead!!! And they will not discuss the issue. :dontknow:
SKFOOTER

Post by SKFOOTER »

kygobbler wrote:
BigMick wrote:It's always been no larger than 4's. 5's, 6's, 7's, etc. are all smaller than 4's. I've been hunting in KY since about 1977 and that's the way I always remember it.
The rule was that you could only use shot size 4,5, and 6. Any other shot size was illegal.
I believe BigMick is correct, kygobbler.
kygobbler

Post by kygobbler »

SKFOOTER wrote:
kygobbler wrote:
I believe BigMick is correct, kygobbler.
I just called the KY fish and wildlife to check on it, and according to the guy I was talking to yes it was illegal to kill a turkey with any besides using a 4,5,6.

I also asked him when the spring '15 turkey season would start. He told me it would be 4-18. :shock: :shock: I asked him to what happen to vote the hunters had 3-4 years ago to make it the second Saturday of April and was told it would stay that way instead of the closes Saturday to the 15th. He said he knew of the vote, but didn't know what happened.
SKFOOTER

Post by SKFOOTER »

He is incorrect. Last year's Turkey Guide plainly states that no lead or non-toxic shot larger than #4 may be used while turkey hunting. Which means #7 was and is legal.
BigMick

Post by BigMick »

I'm not trying to be a jerk here or dispute anybody's word but here is the email response I received from the information desk at the KY Dept of Fish and Wildlife.

"Thank you for contacting us.

Spring turkey season always opens the Saturday closest to April 15th. This year it will open on April 18th.

I hope that this helps answer your questions.

Thank you again,

Robert (Bo) Spencer
KY Dept. Fish and Wildlife
Information Center
1-800-858-1549, Ext. 4557
robert.spencer@ky.gov"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”