Anyone apply for a quota hunt?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

On one of Florida's luxurious Management areas chock full of Osceola Gobblers?
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Planning to do it.

Sent from the Strut Zone
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Anyone apply for a quota hunt?

Post by Gobbler »

Its time ...all this month. Good luck.
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

Gobbler wrote:On one of Florida's luxurious Management areas chock full of Osceola Gobblers?
I applied, but after the disaster that was the Homosassa Special Opp hunt I drew last year I'm changing my strategy a bit.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Watch out. They gave me one I never applied for. When I went hunting I didn't have the right one. My responsibility to check. Not theirs for giving me 1 I never asked for.
Expensive.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
milkman

Post by milkman »

I applied already like every year. Just make sure of what you are applying for. Special opportunities and quota hunts are different.
ChiefBubba

Post by ChiefBubba »

I did mine over the weekend. Finally got my time off for one of my favorite WMAs. I'm going to be busy going to try for FL, SC and Texas this year. Chief
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Between forums and now facebook it will take at least four years to get drawn now. I'm glad I got my hunts in while the getting was good. After checking harvest data I think I'll just save my 25.00 dollar fee this year.
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I was going to send in then I tried to figure out how their draw system worked and thought I would be better off going somewhere else.

Joe
Eph 2:8-9
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

I did on the 1st.............
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I was going to apply for a quota hunt but they won't let you unless you buy a management area permit first for 30 bucks :scratch: Kinda seems like putting the cart before the horse. Why would I want a permit especially if I don't get drawn ? They say it is free to apply but it is actually 30 bucks I guess. :dontknow:
wiltznucs

Post by wiltznucs »

timbrhuntr wrote:I was going to apply for a quota hunt but they won't let you unless you buy a management area permit first for 30 bucks :scratch: Kinda seems like putting the cart before the horse. Why would I want a permit especially if I don't get drawn ? They say it is free to apply but it is actually 30 bucks I guess. :dontknow:
This is becoming a trend in many States particularly for big game. Arizona and others require you buy a hunting license and all the stamps to simply apply for a quota permit. A bull elk tag may take 6-8 years to draw and in order to get one you'll pay for an out of State license for those 8 years. At $200 or more a year in some States it adds up pretty quickly.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

wiltznucs wrote:[quote="timbrhuntr". Arizona and others require you buy a hunting license and all the stamps to simply apply for a quota permit. A bull elk tag may take 6-8 years to draw and in order to get one you'll pay for an out of State license for those 8 years. At $200 or more a year in some States it adds up pretty quickly.
OTOH, just look at how much money you save by not getting drawn. :wink:
Hambone79

Post by Hambone79 »

Put in for mine but like every year i prolly wont be able to go.
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Yeah, I applied. I've hunted the same couple of WMA's for the last 25 years, but got drawn for a different one last spring and that worked out real well....got to see some new country, and we kilt a couple fine gobblers there, too. We'll see how it goes this spring. I have quite a few folks already lined up to guide, so I might not even get the chance to go elsewhere, even if I do get drawn.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Yeah Baldwin Bear unit.. Great big bears.. I have 9 preference points and you need about 13..
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

hookspur wrote:Yeah, I applied. I've hunted the same couple of WMA's for the last 25 years, but got drawn for a different one last spring and that worked out real well....got to see some new country, and we kilt a couple fine gobblers there, too. We'll see how it goes this spring. I have quite a few folks already lined up to guide, so I might not even get the chance to go elsewhere, even if I do get drawn.
If you got drawn last year I can assure you that you won't get drawn this year...unless your applying for bottom of the barrel hunts on the last weekend.
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

That's fine by me. I'm quite content to hunt the WMA's.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

hookspur wrote:That's fine by me. I'm quite content to hunt the WMA's.

And I know you will kill a bird on the one's that's open.... :D I'd love to travel around with you one spring....but it would be after I retire in about 12 years...
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Johndoe wrote:Watch out. They gave me one I never applied for. When I went hunting I didn't have the right one. My responsibility to check. Not theirs for giving me 1 I never asked for.
Expensive.
Update.
The lady at the courthouse was very nice. Took all my paperwork(evidence) and sent me on my way. No charge at all.
I hate when things work out right.
Nothing to Bitch about ya know. Lol

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that

Return to “Gobbler Talk”