Question for smoke pole shooters......

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Hey guys!

I have an old T/C Scout that I have to shoot loose powder through due to it's ignition source being a #11 percussion cap.
I am currently using Jim Shokey's Gold, but am almost out, and cannot find anymore.
For those of using loose powder, what kind do you use? I will be looking to get something else, just wondering what the best kind is.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Question for smoke pole shooters......

Post by vaturkey »

BLACK HORN 209 !! :thumbup: Good Stuff !
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

I use Goex 2ff in both my 50 and 58 thompson flintlocks.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Before I stopped shooting Muzzy's, I had real good luck with Triple 7, in both burn rates, FF, and FFF.
I have heard good things about Blackhorn too though,... just never had the chance to try it.
turkey_slayer

Post by turkey_slayer »

He can't shoot blackhorn with a #11. I've shot it all but mostly used triple 7. Chatter which shockey powder are you using? My uncle probably has a few cases left in different types if you want any I will look.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Yeah blackhorn is the deal, now swabbing, hydroscopic.. But as said not with #11...
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

I had good luck with loose 777 in my Rem 700 ML before I made the switch to BH 209. I much prefer the BH, but again, not for use with percussion caps.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I know pellets are not everyones favorite.. But I believe the orginal NON T7 pellets are compatible with #11 percussion caps..
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

I shoot a T/C Omega with 777 and don't plan to change anytime soon. It is not as clean burning as BH209, but it shoots great in my gun. And as others have said, don't try BH209 with percussion caps.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Thanks for all the tips, guys! :thumbup:
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Shooter wrote:Before I stopped shooting Muzzy's, I had real good luck with Triple 7, in both burn rates, FF, and FFF.
I have heard good things about Blackhorn too though,... just never had the chance to try it.
Tommy,

What do you think would work better in the scout, FF, or FFF?
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Spuriosity wrote:I had good luck with loose 777 in my Rem 700 ML before I made the switch to BH 209. I much prefer the BH, but again, not for use with percussion caps.
Did you do a bolt nose conversion on your 700 ML to shoot BH?
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

If it's a short barrel 50, you would have better results with the FFF.
Spuriosity
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Spuriosity »

drenalinld wrote:
Spuriosity wrote:I had good luck with loose 777 in my Rem 700 ML before I made the switch to BH 209. I much prefer the BH, but again, not for use with percussion caps.
Did you do a bolt nose conversion on your 700 ML to shoot BH?
The gun had already been converted from caps to 209 primers when I got it, so I'm not sure what all mods were required for that. Obviously the nipple had been changed, not sure about the bolt nose. Wasn't getting consistent ignition with the Rem. birdcage style primer holder, so I replaced it with a unit from Muzzleloading Sales that fully encloses the primer. Still didn't get consistent ignition, even using Fed 209As or CCI 209Ms 'til I bored the flash hole out from .030" to .040". Now it goes bang every time.
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Shooter wrote:If it's a short barrel 50, you would have better results with the FFF.
Tommy,

It is. It is a Scout Carbine. Harrison uses it. It was given to me by my FIL, and now Harrison is using it!
So the triple F is the way to go?
Hobo With a shotgun

Post by Hobo With a shotgun »

I use Goex FFF.
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

I know this is an old topic, but I have a question on the grain amount of the Hodgton 777.
I typically run 90 grains of loose powder in the T/C Scout, and that was with both pyrodex and Shockey's Gold.
With the 777, running hotter, can I stay with the same starting amount of 90 grains, or should I start at 80 grains?
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

vaturkey wrote:BLACK HORN 209 !! :thumbup: Good Stuff !
I second that.
Mike
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

I did not know you could not use the BG 209 with #11. When I hunted with #11 I used Triple 7 and Pyrdex Select with good results.
Mike
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

I like being the odd man out. I still believe that plain old REAL black powder is outstanding if you buy the Swiss brand in 2f or 3f granule size. Yes,,, it is a little harder to come by but if you are willing to go through the inconvenience of mail order, most any black powder or substitute can be purchased at Powder Inc.

LINK: http://powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm

I highly encourage real black powder shooters to use Swiss over the other brands. It is super high quality and very consistent on velocities produced. Enjoy.
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

ncturkey wrote:I did not know you could not use the BG 209 with #11. When I hunted with #11 I used Triple 7 and Pyrdex Select with good results.
You can Mike but reliable ignition is best accomplished through opening up the flash hole in the breech plug. Google search the subject and they're recommendations on how large to make the hole for Blackhorn 209. :thumbup:
"You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?"- Bernadette Peters
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Is there someway to find out who made the powder with Shockeys name on it? I highly doubt he made his own. Just a figurehead.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Sloppy_Snood

Post by Sloppy_Snood »

redarrow wrote:Is there someway to find out who made the powder with Shockeys name on it? I highly doubt he made his own. Just a figurehead.
American Pioneer. Same stuff different label.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Sloppy_Snood wrote:
ncturkey wrote:I did not know you could not use the BG 209 with #11. When I hunted with #11 I used Triple 7 and Pyrdex Select with good results.
You can Mike but reliable ignition is best accomplished through opening up the flash hole in the breech plug. Google search the subject and they're recommendations on how large to make the hole for Blackhorn 209. :thumbup:
I am not so sure on 11 bh is 209 only. TC is good to go from factory CVA u open up on old hex plugs but I lost all accuracy when I opened it up. New cva with hand breech they sell a bh compatible breech plug.
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by drenalinld »

Please don't waste money on the American Pioneer crap. Velocity from one shot to the next was the most inconsistent I have ever seen. Set a match to it. Lost some respect for Shockey after trying it.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”