High School Football

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

High School Football

Post by Jaybird »

We open our season in Iowa tonight. Two of my grandsons start for the #2 team in the state of Iowa, but they have a brutal starting schedule. Tonight #4 ranked team, then #1 team, then #12, then #10 before going into the easy part of our schedule. The issue with playing top teams is they play hard to make Playoffs, and there will be injuries with no time to recover going into another tough game. Good luck to all who follow their high school teams.
ImageImageImage
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: High School Football

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Dang, that is a tough schedule.. Nothing like Friday Night Under the Lights... I would love to go back and help coach, but I would probably have parents calling me every night :lol:
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Jay- refresh me, what school?
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Ticeman wrote:Jay- refresh me, what school?
Waukee.
ImageImageImage
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

I'm getting ready to go watch my local team play ! They finished 8-2 last year & lost 51-49 in the first round of the playoffs. Most of the players are back this year with a better defense I hope !
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Except for clearing the stadium on account of lightning, I had more fun tonight than any other high school game I have been at. Both of my grandsons had outstanding games, and the team dominated the #4 team in the state 28-6. Next week we get the powerhouse #1 team in the state to play. #1 vs #2 will definitely be an exciting game. Our opponents went undefeated last year, and this team is suppose to be better, so we got our hands full.
ImageImageImage
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

After looking at the rosters of the 2 teams, it amazes me at the SIZE of these kids. One grandson starts at Center, and he is the smallest in the line at 6'1" 250#s with biggest kid at 290. Defensive lines biggest at starter is 350"s. These kids are not the overweight slobs that can't run to save their lives. They are the obvious product of having 2 strength/conditioning coaches on the team, who have them working out all year. Different game from my day by far in high school football.
ImageImageImage
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Jaybird wrote: They are the obvious product of having 2 strength/conditioning coaches on the team, who have them working out all year. Different game from my day by far in high school football.
Its hard to win on talent anymore.. Games are won Dec-Aug in the weight room and through plyometrics.
Frankinthelaurels

Post by Frankinthelaurels »

I was a high school line coach for about 10 years and it's amazing the amount of dedication it takes to be at the top of the sport these days and sizes, we have a couple of kids on our local team today that are 330 lbs and it's not fat it's muscle...last year we had an average of about 275 for the 5 offensive linemen....not that I'm small but I never would have imagined this compared to the size we were in the mid-70's... a great sport and only my love for college football exceeds it..
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

We played a team tonight that would not lose, and fought us to the end, but we finally got it done 48-41. We lost one of our stars to an ankle injury, and we have a bunch of totally exhausted boys in no shape to play the #1 powerhouse in the state next week. I knew this dang schedule was going to kill us. We did not need this game before the game next week. Then after next week we have a team probably moving into the #3 spot. Brutal 4 games.
ImageImageImage
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Jaybird wrote:We open our season in Iowa tonight.Tonight #4 ranked team, then #1 team, then #12, then #10 before going into the easy part of our schedule. .
Confused who did you play tonight #1 team???? You play #12..

Congrats on the win, that schedule is brutal but will pay off later.. Even if you lose next week early loss is not bad for kids of that age.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
Jaybird wrote:We open our season in Iowa tonight.Tonight #4 ranked team, then #1 team, then #12, then #10 before going into the easy part of our schedule. .
Confused who did you play tonight #1 team???? You play #12..

Congrats on the win, that schedule is brutal but will pay off later.. Even if you lose next week early loss is not bad for kids of that age.
I had the schedule wrong, we play the #1 team next week, this week was #12, and week after that #10, which could have moved to 3 or 4 in next poll. The #1 team is in a league by themselves, undefeated last year, and a better team this year. They have to be rated high in the high school national polls. We lost to them in the Playoffs 14-8 last year, which was the only close game they had the whole season.
ImageImageImage
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Well, the brutal 4 game opening schedule is over, and went pretty good. We got stomped by the #1 team in the state 45-14, but beat the #3 team in the state 28-6, who last night beat the #1 team in the state 24-21 because of turnovers. Bad news was, as expected, we lost some very good players to injuries, all should be back by Playoffs. I couldn't make the game last night, but read in the paper my grandson led the team in tackles, even though he played with a torn biceps. Most of the time you are done for the season on that one, so will be checking on that with his dad. Losing the team captain, leading the team in tackles, will hurt. Other grandson is really doing well at Center and I have yet to see him miss a block. Has great technique, and only a Jr. Dang, I wish he was bigger, but 6 1, 250#s isn't going to get you looked at for College in the OL.
ImageImageImage
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Well my grandson at Center went down with high ankle sprain, and other grandson is iffy at LB with torn biceps. Man, we are getting killed with injuries. Thankfully, we are done with the tough part of our schedule.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Gobbler Talk”