Are We Doing Our Part?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
allaboutshooting

Are We Doing Our Part?

Post by allaboutshooting »

Nearly 1/2 of us took a kid hunting in the past year but that also means that a bit more than 1/2 did not.

We all struggle with what we can do to promote the outdoors, hunting and the way of life that we enjoy.

You may enjoy reading this report on how and what we're doing.

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=705

If you've not been keeping up with the progress at the NWTF headquarters on the Palmetto Shooting Complex, I'd also encourage to take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPXkORNtzQk

Lots of things are going on in various parts of the shooting and hunting world.

These 2 are very positive.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Are We Doing Our Part?

Post by devastator »

Im trying,my nephew has had his chances in the spring but he can't keep still,and blew a 40 yard chance at his 1st buck this last deer season...BUT, i would not trade the memorys for nothing in this world..
kygobbler

Post by kygobbler »

I guess I fall into the two percent. For the last couple of years I have taken 5 kids turkey hunting each spring and fall season. I take 2 girls and 3 boys and so far the girls are kicking butt with 4 birds to the boys big goose egg. All the kids are cousins of mine except one.

The fall season is a couple months away and hopefully the boys will get on the board.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I used to take my grandson everywhere hunting with me, he killed monster mule deer, big buck whitetails antelope, every game bird in montana except a turkey, all before my "Little Buddy" was 10 yrs. old. Used to take off on his 3 wheeler from the house here and come back with ducks, pheasant, grouse you name it. Was shot to death at the age of 13. Rest in Paradise "Little Buddy"
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
allaboutshooting

devastator wrote:Image
Im trying,my nephew has had his chances in the spring but he can't keep still,and blew a 40 yard chance at his 1st buck this last deer season...BUT, i would not trade the memorys for nothing in this world..
I'd say you are. Building memories is a wonderful thing.

Thanks,
Clark
allaboutshooting

kygobbler wrote:I guess I fall into the two percent. For the last couple of years I have taken 5 kids turkey hunting each spring and fall season. I take 2 girls and 3 boys and so far the girls are kicking butt with 4 birds to the boys big goose egg. All the kids are cousins of mine except one.

The fall season is a couple months away and hopefully the boys will get on the board.
That is so great to hear. You may never know what you've done for those kids.

Thanks,
Clark
allaboutshooting

Grumpy wrote:I used to take my grandson everywhere hunting with me, he killed monster mule deer, big buck whitetails antelope, every game bird in montana except a turkey, all before my "Little Buddy" was 10 yrs. old. Used to take off on his 3 wheeler from the house here and come back with ducks, pheasant, grouse you name it. Was shot to death at the age of 13. Rest in Paradise "Little Buddy"
My heart goes out to you. May God bless you and keep those memories strong with you forever.

Clark
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

My daughter and I on her 2nd deer hunt last year Image

We had iPads and even American girl dolls in the stand with us!!

Last year was the first year she's showed an interest in wanting to go. I don't rifle hunt much but when she wants to go we take the rifle. She's said she's ready to shoot a deer this year, she's 6 and I'm gonna try my best to help her get her 1st deer. I don't force her to go, I ask over and over again!! She turned me down many times before giving in and going, and now she loves it. I got her a youth model bow and she shoots with me in the back yard, she's a god shot at 10 yards. I enjoy every second we spend in the stand together. Seeing the excitement on her face when she gets to experience nature is a memory burned into my brain forever. Wether it be hearing an owl sound off in the swamp and her asking "daddy what was that?!" To seeing a momma for and fawn every hunt is a new memory that will last a life time! It's good for me to take her because she reminds me of why I do this. I often get caught up in the hunt and trying to kill a good buck, and hunts with her bring me back to the basics. She's been on a few youth turkey hunts but so far they've all been busts, no gobbling, she tells me after she gets her 1st deer she wants to get her turkey!! And boy I can't wait!! It's good practice, my son is 2 and he's already itching to go, these next few hunting seasons should be really interesting to say the least!
Pass the biscuits!!
allaboutshooting

It's good for me to take her because she reminds me of why I do this. I often get caught up in the hunt and trying to kill a good buck, and hunts with her bring me back to the basics.

It could not be better said.

What a great story.

Thanks,
Clark
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I can't think of anything better than the years spent at hunt camp while my daughters were growing up. They went every time I went. I didn't kill much those years but my kids did so we didn't go hungry. :lol: As much fun as the hunting was the fellowship and interaction of the kids and other kids. The fires and the cooking. Putting up stands and filling feeders . The whole life style with your children are some of the greatest memories you will ever make. :thumbup:
allaboutshooting

Gobbler wrote:I can't think of anything better than the years spent at hunt camp while my daughters were growing up. They went every time I went. I didn't kill much those years but my kids did so we didn't go hungry. :lol: As much fun as the hunting was the fellowship and interaction of the kids and other kids. The fires and the cooking. Putting up stands and filling feeders . The whole life style with your children are some of the greatest memories you will ever make. :thumbup:
I'm sure those are some precious memories for them as well. Good work, Dad.

Thanks,
Clark
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

This was Harrison's first bird he got 2 season's ago on NH's youth weekend.
Then, he got the opportunity to get a double with his Grandfather which will be one of my absolute greatest memories. His Grandfather is over 70, and none of us knows how many days we have in this world, and for those two share that very special moment is one of the greatest gifts God can give a man.
Still hoping he will be able to kill his first deer this fall!
allaboutshooting

Fantastic! Building memories and heritage for another generation.

Thanks,
Clark
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Good work guys...
Grumpy....sorry to here about your grandson.
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

Kade's first turkey at seven.

KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

and a few more...

KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

some more...

allaboutshooting

What a great group of pictures. It sure looks like you're passing along your heritage.

Great work!

Thanks,
Clark
KPcalls

Post by KPcalls »

I'm trying Clark....about to loose my odest to friends and girls already.

The pic with the group of kids and the deer are from our annual deer youth hunt on our hunting club. We cook for them and give away hunting related items. We even had some stuff donated by Bas Pro and the Louisiana Dept, of wildlife and Fisheries. We normally have at least 40 kids hunting on youth weekend.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”