Could be a great or horrible day for Michigan Sportsman

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Could be a great or horrible day for Michigan Sportsman

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

It looks like today is the day the Scientific Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act goes to the senate floor.. This has been a very heated issue as it is often referred to as the "Wolf Hunt Bill". But it is much bigger than that, it places the management of wildlife in the hands of the folks paid to make them decisions the Biologists. I know alot of folks bash on the DNR and have a low level of trust , but truly this is the right step. Even in a state with a extremely large number of hunters we do not need these decisions going to the ballot where out of state groups fund an emotional campaign to eliminate hunting of certain specie.

https://mucc.org/pro-scientific-wildlif ... _campaign=
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Could be a great or horrible day for Michigan Sportsman

Post by Gobbler »

My only concern is your Biologist can NOT be employed by the DNR if they don't hunt. That decision is too big for an animal rights biologist to make. We have game wardens in Florida that don't hunt and the best way to end things you don't agree with is not on the ballet anymore. Its by working in the regulatory side of government. We can't get Bear hunting back. We will shortly need a season for the so called endangered swamp lion that walked by me during turkey season.

Don't believe me... IRS
NSA
USAG
EPA

ETC ETC
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Very well said, we in Montana put up with the same crap with the wolf issues and trapping issues. We got a skank here in Montana running a group of fruitcakes called Footloose Mont. and they want to stop trapping on all state and federal land. She isn't even a citizen of the U.S., been over here for quite a few years, from Germany, on a student visa. She gets support from a lot of eastern states that have no idea what is going on in our state with wildlife management. They tried again this year to get their initiative on the Nov. ballot and needed 25,000 signatures and only wound up with around 1500, the other sponsor her for the same crap is 10 Spoons Winery in Missoula, Mt., a Minnesota clown, those 2 teamed up together about 10 yrs. ago. We trappers are going to ask the legislature to pass a law to protect our trapping heritage as we did with hunting and fishing about 10 yrs. ago,to put a stop once and for all to this Footloose nonsense.
Last edited by Grumpy on August 13th, 2014, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Good luck to you Michigan Sportsmen.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Good luck with the vote. I could never understand why special interest groups are allowed to set the rules for hunters and trappers. They get a bunch of fellow tree huggers together and put the wolf on a stinkin' pedestal. Most know nothing about the critter or why they were obliterated the first time. They were shot, trapped and poisoned because of their worthlessness.
The Michigan folk had the same thing with the doves. (They're such a pretty little bird, why would anyone want to hunt them)? It took Wi. forever to allow dove hunting so I know what kind of a fight you guys are in for.
Good Luck with the law!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Ya good luck I hope it succeeds in favor of the sportsman. I'm just fed up with government anything.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote: The Michigan folk had the same thing with the doves. (They're such a pretty little bird, why would anyone want to hunt them)? It took Wi. forever to allow dove hunting so I know what kind of a fight you guys are in for.
Good Luck with the law!!
Our Dove bill was a disaster.. The antis loaded the air waves with ads, meanwhile nothing from the pro hunting groups.. In my township its extremely rural farming community where everyone hunts.. The dove bill almost went down in my township and went down in some close townships which are as pro hunting as our community..

This bill is huge not only controlling the worthless woof, but preventing things that are bound to go on the ballot as well trapping and hound hunting bears..
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Grumpy wrote:She gets support from a lot of eastern states that have no idea what is going on in our state with wildlife management. They tried again this year to get their initiative on the Nov. ballot and needed 25,000 signatures and only wound up with around 1500, the other sponsor her for the same crap is 10 Spoons Winery in Missoula, Mt., a Minnesota clown, those 2 teamed up together about 10 yrs. ago. We trappers are going to ask the legislature to pass a law to protect our trapping heritage as we did with hunting and fishing about 10 yrs. ago,to put a stop once and for all to this Footloose nonsense.
And that is the problem, its all the out of state money and people that fuel alot of this. For example if we did have the wolf hunt on the ballot, it should be a Yooper vote only.. The yoopers are the ones that have to live with the woofs, it should be their decision, not folks living in comfy subdivisions in Detroit that ultimately decide all our statewide elections and ballot proposals..
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Just last week 5 hunting dogs were killed by Woofs, 4 bear hounds and 1 beagle.. A cow was attacked as well..

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/201 ... cart_river
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Good luck, I hope it works out in your favor.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

The anti groups don't have to pay a penny to file their frivolous suits but it take plenty of money from sportsman to fight these goofs. Should be a law that if and when the lose and they do lose some then they are stuck with all the court and lawyer costs, might make them think twice. We have had these bunny turd sniffers go into areas that were slated for logging and find some little trickle of water and put in a couple of fingerling West Slope Cutthroat Trout, they are on the endangered species list here and damned if they can convince a bunny turd sniffing judge that it is a spawning stream for them and he will stop the plan to log that area. Has happened more than once here.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

:cheers: It passed the Senate :cheers: :thumbup: :mrgreen: :thumbleft: :walk: Can't wait to see how close and who voted for.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Nice!! Does this make it law (if the Governor signs it) or is there another house in which it must pass?
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote:Nice!! Does this make it law (if the Governor signs it) or is there another house in which it must pass?
It has to pass the house as well.. I just read where the gov will not have to sign it :scratch: But he will sign it, the antis had some petition to stop last years hunt and he overruled it. I just cannot see how any law maker if this is presented in black and white would not vote for it.. It is so simple, have the folks paid to manage our natural resources make the decisions they need to manage our natural resources..

Even alot of my friends that live to hunt are naive as to how big this could be down the road, its more than about the wolf hunt. It could have huge implications down the road for all forms of hunting and fishing.

I just went to the group trying to stop the wolf hunts facebook page, nothing but crickets.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Here in Georgia the move to allow hunting over deer feeders in certain counties was a political move. I heard a DNR employee on O'Neil Outdoors speaking on the radio about the move. He chose his words carefully, but it was clear it wasn't a scientific or biological need. I know some local fishing guides, saltwater, who met with DNR officials to ask them to lower the limit on redfish and spotted trout (weakfish). Georgia has a considerably higher limit for both than Florida and SC and we see a lot of fish go out of state in coolers impacting the local fishing. The DNR needs scientific proof of this (a study) but don't have the funding to do so.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Goes to the House Floor today.. Crossing fingers.. Nervous
allaboutshooting

Post by allaboutshooting »

Unfortunately, in many states conservation and hunting decisions are made by legislators and not by trained professionals in the field of their expertise.

What that means is that we as sportsment must "lobby hard" for our causes. Since most of us can not do that individually, we must support organizations that support us, RMEF, NWTF, DU and others who have enough members to make their voices heard. It's really all about the numbers of voters or potential voters.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

OUTFREAKINSTANDING WoooooHoooooo it passed... I was sweating bullets as the updates coming from the group that started it kept saying Rep SO and SO speaks against Sound Scientific management.. But man oh man am I excited.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

allaboutshooting wrote:Unfortunately, in many states conservation and hunting decisions are made by legislators and not by trained professionals in the field of their expertise.

What that means is that we as sportsment must "lobby hard" for our causes. Since most of us can not do that individually, we must support organizations that support us, RMEF, NWTF, DU and others who have enough members to make their voices heard. It's really all about the numbers of voters or potential voters.

Thanks,
Clark
Well what we were up against much like our dove bill was not legislators deciding the fate of our hunting season but being on the open ballot.. Too many folks in the SE portion of the state that are uneducated on hunting and wildlife management to even compete.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Congrats on the good news!!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote:Congrats on the good news!!
Hopefully we can follow Wisconsin's lead and allow trapping of wolves.. Hunting them is very tough..
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
Hopefully we can follow Wisconsin's lead and allow trapping of wolves.. Hunting them is very tough..
You need to use bear/coon dogs as bait! (poodles and most lap dogs will do in a pinch) :lol:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote:
ICDEDTURKES wrote:
You need to use bear/coon dogs as bait! (poodles and most lap dogs will do in a pinch) :lol:
Its sad the hurt they put on Hounds... If I ever draw a tag I will load up the Foxpro with Hounds chasing bear..
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Another hound killed by Woofs in the U.P..

devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

WOW,and i thought yotes can do some damage to deer!I would,without a doubt shoot them on sight the hell with the laws.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”