Gardening

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Gardening

Post by Jaybird »

Surprise of the Summer, I actually like this crap. Marsha got me involved planting and now we have plants growing all over the place. We planted Tomatoes, Cukes, Watermelon, Cantalope, Roses, and the BlackBerry plants we moved from her house have went nuts with new growth. I am going to even try some canning with my favourite Bread and Butter Pickles from a old receipe I have. Best pickles I have ever ate. Maybe I should have been a farmer like some of my family.....Nah :lol:
Attachments
KINDLE_CAMERA_1404395849000.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1404395946000.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1404395968000.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1404396029000.jpg
ImageImageImage
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Gardening

Post by redarrow »

Looking good. My tomatoes are doing great as well as the squash,but the stinking rabbits and groundhogs destroyed my beans and okra.Guess I need to build some fences next year.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

first year in several that I have no maters..... love the pics :)
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

HuntMa, my tomatoes are really bad, first year that they also done nothing, haven't grown more than 2 inches in 2 1/2 months since set out. Maybe Jaybird Appleseed can help with some secret tips....
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

redarrow wrote:Looking good. My tomatoes are doing great as well as the squash,but the stinking rabbits and groundhogs destroyed my beans and okra.Guess I need to build some fences next year.
Didn't think anything would eat Okra.

Looking good Jay..
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:
redarrow wrote:Looking good. My tomatoes are doing great as well as the squash,but the stinking rabbits and groundhogs destroyed my beans and okra.Guess I need to build some fences next year.
Didn't think anything would eat Okra.

Looking good Jay..
Only us Rednecks and whistlepigs. :lol:
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Grumpy wrote:HuntMa, my tomatoes are really bad, first year that they also done nothing, haven't grown more than 2 inches in 2 1/2 months since set out. Maybe Jaybird Appleseed can help with some secret tips....
Wife used composite manure on all the plants, when they were planted, and they really like that crap.
ImageImageImage
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Usually I plant about 6 varietys of tomatoes, some years one variety will do good and the next year it will be a dud. I planted all Early Girls this year and they are duds. Lakota Squash, best winter squash there is, is doing great as the carrots and onions.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Wife planted 4 different type of Tomatoes with a less acid one she calls Yellows. They are now becoming ripe with 4 more about ready to pick of the red variety. First Cuke, but there is a bunch ready in next couple of days. Melons are not even close. Looking at early September on those.
Attachments
KINDLE_CAMERA_1404153658000.jpg
ImageImageImage
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I grew the yellow tomatoes one year, great producers but just didn't have the "twang" like a red tomato.
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Started a garden for the first time this year, had no idea what I was doing, didnt turn out to well, weeds and more weeds. :violent1: I think this means i'm getting old??
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Grumpy wrote:I grew the yellow tomatoes one year, great producers but just didn't have the "twang" like a red tomato.
True, they do not have the acid content of the red. I do like the reds better, but being my system can't handle acid very well, these are better for me. They do get big and produce quicker than the reds.
ImageImageImage
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

:thumbup:
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

2 dozen cukes from the garden gave us 4 jars of bread and butter pickles. Because of all the sugar you use with me being diabetic, Marsha used Sorghum and a sugar substitute called Whey Low in her canning. If the taste doesn't match we will drop the Sorghum. :lol: Brown pickles is a bit strange. Taste test will be tonight. I am really curious on this one.
Attachments
KINDLE_CAMERA_1404379701000.jpg
ImageImageImage
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

1st batch did not hit the taste I am looking for, but this second batch I am sure will nail it.
Attachments
KINDLE_CAMERA_1406929448000.jpg
ImageImageImage
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Lily wanted me to post this to show ya'll some of the crazy Chinese stuff that she has grown.
Long beans, and bitter squash. The beans are 2 to 3 feet long, and the squash are,... Yes, bitter. I don't eat them,...lol.
Some kind of health food in China. It must be one heck of a health food, cause it will curl your toes,.... YuuuuKKK!!!!
Don't ask what the spiked one is,... we have not figgered that one out either.

Had over 30 mater plants, so we have maters!!!! :mrgreen: Everything in our 1 acre garden did well this year. I was gonna list, but there is just too much. Even had some Kohlrabi. :lol: Only thing I didn't have this year was cabbage. Never does that well here, and they are cheap enough at the store.
Attachments
SANY0002.JPG
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Wish we had the growing season you have down South. We are still having freezing into May. We planted way too late this year. We are going to grow indoors the plants taking longer to come to harvest, especially melons. We have some small melons the size of large marbles, but they are not where I would like to see them in August. Wish we had more land to plant, but we have more than most in the city. Wife will plant probably twice as much next year. I probably won't need to mow the back come July next year, which is cool with me.
ImageImageImage
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Dug my spuds yesterday, good crop, some were the size of peas and a lot of little ones too.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Marsha canned up the Tomatoes into Salsa, and I finished off a pint in 2 days by myself. Just enough bite that it didn't tear up my acid reflux. Yesterday she turned 40 Cukes into 7 quarts of relish using her new food processor to speed up the job.
Attachments
KINDLE_CAMERA_1406965666000.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1406903001000.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1406896049000.jpg
ImageImageImage
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

Today's harvest. This is probably going to be our only Watermelon this season, but we learned from our mistakes, and next year will be a lot better.
Attachments
KINDLE_CAMERA_1409569730000.jpg
ImageImageImage
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Looks good. Whistle pigs ate all my beans and okra but this was probably my best year ever for tomato's .Squash and pickles were good too.
Jaybird
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Jaybird »

We canned up dill slices today, and one jar of spears for Bloody Mary's.
The Roses are really blooming like crazy right now, beating the cold weather, low 40s next week.
Attachments
KINDLE_CAMERA_1409992535000.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1409523764000.jpg
ImageImageImage

Return to “Gobbler Talk”