I am amazed..........

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

I am amazed..........

Post by HuntnMa »

We did a deer count this morning...only 4 bucks but 3 of them were HUGE....all I saw was rack and 2 of them were out of velvet....it's July 22.....the earliest I have seen this is mid August. And I have heard of one of the ranchers down in Fellsmere seeing them rubbed out as early as three weeks ago...just amazes me :scratch:
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

I am amazed..........

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

Must be global warming!!!

On a more serious note,that is strange.
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: I am amazed..........

Post by guesswho »

Not to far South of you their in rut. Crazy how all that works.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Very few deer around here this year, That blue tongue stuff gave us a near 100% wipeout last fall. I have not seen a deer since last october around here but have seen fresh track a few times. Going to be tough deer hunting this year, I hope to draw an antelope tag.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Doedaddy

Post by Doedaddy »

Come down south and hunt with me Grumpy. We are eat up with deer.
Pick me out a winner Bobby!!!
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Some day if things work out I plan on doing a little travelling and a lot of shooting.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
milkman

Post by milkman »

That is early for bucks in your neck I if the woods to be hard horned, but nothing surprises me anymore with our Florida deer.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

It's all weird!! Bucks in south Florida are in rut, Georgia (right next door) has a November rut along with the rest of the world, Mississippi out other neighbor has a late December rut, and our deer in south central bama have a late jan/ early feb rut!!! Go figure!
Pass the biscuits!!
N2deer

Post by N2deer »

ole5beards wrote:It's all weird!! Bucks in south Florida are in rut, Georgia (right next door) has a November rut along with the rest of the world, Mississippi out other neighbor has a late December rut, and our deer in south central bama have a late jan/ early feb rut!!! Go figure!

Dont forget some deer in north bama rut during late November. :dontknow:
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

Good point,Forgot to mention, that Alabama has 4 different ruts!!
Pass the biscuits!!
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

ole5beards wrote:Good point,Forgot to mention, that Alabama has 4 different ruts!!
I wish our state had 4 different ruts. I might deer hunt even after duck season started if we did.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Southern Sportsman wrote:
ole5beards wrote:Good point,Forgot to mention, that Alabama has 4 different ruts!!
I wish our state had 4 different ruts. I might deer hunt even after duck season started if we did.
LA's rut is spread out as well. In fact, I recently read a federal study about the rut, conducted in the late 80's, about the deer in the parish (county) that I live in. One area here had deer imported from Michigan, I believe, back in the 60's. The deer in that part of the parish still rut about a month before the rest of the parish. Crazy.
SS, it just makes you deer hunt more in the evening. Mornings are still for ducks.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
N2deer

Post by N2deer »

Southern Sportsman wrote:

No you dont, out rut is all over the place with no real strong peak rut activity I have seen.
Thats just the areas around me, within a few miles of my house there could be deer rutting at any time during our long season.
But its so spread out alot of times its not very noticeable.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Be bred out before season much like turkeys dang Fish and Game.. Every state is in collaboration to screw over hunters.
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hawglips »

I saw one strutting at a doe with two fawns last week.
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

As long as one walks by me during muzzleloader I don't care when they rut, lol......I would of said archery but I want to go after gobblers then :)
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

WW similar situation here, there's a strain of deer in a certain national forest in north bama that has a November rut, the surrounding areas are different!! I've got a picture of the Alabama rut map somewhere, I'll post it when I find it!! My area is so duck poor that it's reversed, deer hunt the mornings and gamble on not getting busted shooting a woodie roost in the evenings!! About every 4-5 years we have a decent duck season and this past year was it!! So wood ducks it is until 2017!! The lower half of the state gets an extra 10 days in February this year for deer, in out area usually the 1st 2 weeks in February the bucks are running wild, so hopefully those 10 days will do some good.
Pass the biscuits!!
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

Here it is!! Crazy huh?!
Pass the biscuits!!
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Here in N Fl it is really crazy. Most states have it diff because of how far north or south the deer are. In north and southeast Leon Co rut in Nov. Southwest Leon and Wakulla Co and west is in mid Jan.
I wanna smoke what they smoke.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
ChiefBubba

I am amazed..........

Post by ChiefBubba »

Hey Ma I'm gonna need GPS numbers or directions to this secret spot. Lol No need to worry I'll pass on the bucks I'll just shoot a doe. Lol Chief
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

ChiefBubba wrote:Hey Ma I'm gonna need GPS numbers or directions to this secret spot. Lol No need to worry I'll pass on the bucks I'll just shoot a doe. Lol Chief
Wait, wait, wait just a damned minute. That's my job. :angel4:

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

ChiefBubba wrote:Hey Ma I'm gonna need GPS numbers or directions to this secret spot. Lol No need to worry I'll pass on the bucks I'll just shoot a doe. Lol Chief
hahaha There are no does there, lol.........they were huge....I don't overly excited about deer but these guys were the reason we trophy hunt.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

ole5beards wrote:Image

Here it is!! Crazy huh?!
Yeah, LA's map would look pretty similar with the beginning of the rut as early as late October in SW LA and as late as mid January in other areas. I rarely see a true, defined rut. Every year is different, but I often see bucks chasing at Thanksgiving, but my rut is not supposed to start until late December.
I like your style....rolling the dice on a roost shoot. I usually save those for the last weekend.
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

Hey man, you gotta do what you gotta do!! I don't go every year but I have an open invite to Arkansas, coming back home and trying to duck hunt after hunting up there just ain't right!!!
Pass the biscuits!!
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

ole5beards wrote:Hey man, you gotta do what you gotta do!! I don't go every year but I have an open invite to Arkansas, coming back home and trying to duck hunt after hunting up there just ain't right!!!
Oh I feel ya! And look, if you ever need a stand in for Arkansas, lemme know. I'd hate for you to get too spoiled on those easy limits.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”