Ticks

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Ticks

Post by Johndoe »

Just wanted to tell everyone to be careful. These I got Sat nite when I took Va Hokie to run some long ear, long leg, short tail, grey foxes. It's only a small sample of them. Took 2hrs to pluck them all off. I hate ticks.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
hawglips
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Ticks

Post by hawglips »

I'd be itching for 6 months....
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Dang JD,... Looks like you walked right through a newly hatched nest of them!!!
Dingy calls them Tiggers. She still doesn't understand they are two different critters.
She got one where you do NOT want to get one last year!!! She doesn't leave the truck without spraying with Permethrin anymore!! :o
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Good lookin Beagle ! I like the name Va Hokie ! Looks like some Chigger bites too ! Keep lots of alcohol on them ! :thumbup:
Last edited by vaturkey on July 7th, 2014, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Looks Like an STD to me.

Do your ankles look like that too ?...... :LMAO:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

Nope Ricky. All ticks. Over 60 were on that ankle alone. Won't go back unless sprayed down. There were over 300 on me.

I got the pup from a guy in Va. I have had so many, names are hard to come by that are not duplicates.
A lady at Beagle Nationals suggested Hokie so I kept it.

Itching bad Hal. Gonna test some bleach on them soon.

There are no numbers on any of my clocks below 8. Then all of a sudden, 2 days before turkey season they appear. Then right after the season they disappear.
What's up with that
Reloader
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Reloader »

Dang, that sucks.

I spray my boots, bottom of my pants, and around my waste with off this time of year. It'll keep the ticks and chiggers off of you.
Waddle Whacker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Waddle Whacker »

Thanks. I'm itching all over now. Good looking pup.
Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts.
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

Ammonia
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Had a rabbit die from lead poisoning in my beans couple days ago. He had a couple filled plum up with blood on him.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I've been in the woods the last month looking for mushrooms. I have had one tick so far. I sprayed my clothing, snake boots, shirt and hat with a Permanone solution a month ago and let it dry before wearing. Before going to the woods, it's a dose of Deep Woods off on exposed areas of skin and clothing. My brother-in-law got Lymes disease years ago working on Cumberland Island trapping and monitoring bobcats. It knocked him for a loop. Here's a photo of my handy tick removal tool which I keep in my wallet--Pro Tick Remedy. Benadryl Cream will stop the itching.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

Could that be a Tick Pick ? :thumbup:
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

GLS wrote:I've been in the woods the last month looking for mushrooms. I have had one tick so far. I sprayed my clothing, snake boots, shirt and hat with a Permanone solution a month ago and let it dry before wearing. Before going to the woods, it's a dose of Deep Woods off on exposed areas of skin and clothing. My brother-in-law got Lymes disease years ago working on Cumberland Island trapping and monitoring bobcats. It knocked him for a loop. Here's a photo of my handy tick removal tool which I keep in my wallet--Pro Tick Remedy. Benadryl Cream will stop the itching.
Won't go back unsprayed for sure. They were way to small for that pic Gil.
You could fit 5 on a pin head.

What's up with that
hookedspur
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by hookedspur »

Wow , Never saw that many at once.
TS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by TS »

Looks like redbug bites to me. I hate gettin bit by any of them bugs that itch.
"Better being 30 minutes early than 5 minutes late"
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

TS wrote:Looks like redbug bites to me. I hate gettin bit by any of them bugs that itch.
Thank God they don't itch as bad.

What's up with that
allaboutshooting

Post by allaboutshooting »

Very nasty creatures.

For itching, I take benadryl capsules and put Eucerin "Skin Calming" cream on the area. It stops the itch but does not dry out the skin like some other remedies. Dry skin can add to the itch problem.

I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in about 1995 and it's a terrible thing to have. I still have some effects from it.

Lyme Disease can do bad things to you. Anything to prevent it makes a lot of sense.

Spray, check for ticks when you get home and it's also important not to take clothes inside that may have ticks on them.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."
bigdoc

Post by bigdoc »

Guys what solution of permethrin do you use on your clothes for ticks?
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Shooter »

bigdoc wrote:Guys what solution of permethrin do you use on your clothes for ticks?
I personally use some stuff called Permectrin ll. I get it at the Co-op. I mix 1 tablespoon to 1 quart of water in a quart spray bottle.
Usually lasts me through turkey and deer season. Even though they say you only have to spray your clothes once a week, I do it every morn before leaving the truck. Socks and lower pant legs. The few ticks I got this past season were on my upper body.
HuntnMa
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HuntnMa »

Looks like chiggers.......... I did go through some grass once and collected over 70 ticks from myself and the dog, I put them in a bottle and they were still alive like two weeks later.......thank God they didn't bite me
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I've had chigger bites that look those on the foot photo. The Preventic collar works great on my dog. Unless a tick imbeds it won't leave a mark. I usually can feel them crawling. Collar won't work if it gets wet. The commercial permithin mix lasts almost a whole season with one application and surviving several washings.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Before turkey season I give a good squeeze of Frontline Plus between the shoulder blades..
Johndoe
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Johndoe »

I use Adams on Hokie. It also contains IGR so works well for him. I just need to take care of me.

What's up with that
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

I've caught both Lyme Disease and Erlychiosis from ticks.....I HATE every danged one of 'em and see no reason for their existence! Started making my own Permythrin solution several years ago, and it is wonderful, easy, and cheap to spray down all your outdoor clothes. It lasts for several washings afterwards, too! Spent 72 days in the turkey woods this spring, and the only tick touching my flesh was one that got on a glove and snuck in under my shirt cuff. I take great joy in watching them crawling up a pant leg and seeing them start staggering around like they're drunk, then curl up and DIE!!
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

drink vinegar everyday and even give a little bit to your pets and you want have problems with ticks and red bugs

Return to “Gobbler Talk”