What a morning

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

What a morning

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

So after deer waiting, I decided I was gonna fowl hunt from now on out.. After a few sits I cannot realize how some one can enjoy sitting still for hours on end waiting on one animal when they can throw out some dekes, move around a bit and for sure get some shooting..

I live on a small trout stream.. It isnt the greatest duck hunting in the world but a spot you can go, decoy a few flocks and have a good morning.. So I decided to go there because it is the one spot I would not get a bullet in the head..

It takes about 25 minutes to walk back and set everything up.. I walked outside 30 min before light gathered up my gear and went to put it in the jet sled.. Where the $&%* is the jet sled.. I ran around the yard looking in out buildings, the garage etc etc.. SO now I have wasted 10 minutes looking for the thing and find it.. Its full of freiken lawn debris.. I empty the lawn debris and throw my gear in and huff back..

The walk is easy but the last 40 yards.. It is black nasty muck up to your waist.. So I barge through the muck toss out a dozen dekes... Now I go to put the wings on the two spinners.. I than realized I could not put the thumbscrews on with neo gloves.. So I toss them in the sled.. Mojos are set with 2 min to spare..

I hike the sled up 50 yards and go to grab the gun.. Where the &$#@ is my gun.. Immediately I think it is floating down stream in its floating case.. But in my haste I grab my light go back through the nasty black muck and find it 100 yards from the river.. I grab the gun and bust *** back to the black muck and into the river.. Its now 5 minutes after light and low and behold 3 mallards are hovering over the spinners and 3 other flocks are swinging over the tag alders.. I feel a water swat coming on..

I creep up to the sled to grab my shell belt.. *** is my shell belt.. At this moment the beautiful calm crisp morning is greeted with the most explicit barrage of language the woods have ever heard. The neighbors must have had an enjoyable AM in the deer woods listening to some lunatic cuss and curse and grunt and groan at the top of his lungs.. So with mallards working and me standing with an empty gun I once again bust through the muck, now dripping with sweat.. I go to the house and find 6 shells in the garage.. I did not have time to go in the house and get more because I am black muck from head to toe..

So off I run back to the river, load the gun.. As I am sitting there sweating my butt off and feel as if I could puke from running wind sprints back and forth through the woods.. I want a drink of the water I surely brought.. No I forgot the dang water.. So as I sit there, my mouth is as dry as dirt, my sweat has turned to freezing my *** off.. I sat till 815 and never saw another duck...

So I go to pick dekes up.. Awesome my neo gloves that I threw in the sled are now soaked as the jet sled developed a leak..

So nothing else could go possibly wrong.. So I have everything picked up and a flock of mallards buzz my head adding insult to injury..

Going "Deer waiting" the rest of the season
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: What a morning

Post by MKW »

BIG congrats on a great morning afield! :D I'm sure it was nice just to be out in nature and watch the sun rise. :toothy7:

Mike
Ultimate Predator
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

''Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play.'' I feel your pain, Tom. Sometimes, it just ain't to be..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Cove

Post by Cove »

Wow! Fun Times! and yes, I'm sure you enjoyed the time outdoors. . . . :lol:
Ticeman

Post by Ticeman »

Quit yer whining, I've missed three deer, ruined two broadheads, spent one trillion dollars on gas, walked a quarter mile the other day to my stand only find out that I left the seat pad for my stand back at the truck, got down, walked a quarter mile back to get it, returned a quarter mile to the stand, now I'm sweating, not good for scent control. :angryfire:

Finally get strapped in and hung my bow on my little hook on the side of the stand and a gust of wind came up and blew my bow off it!! As I watch a $1000 bow crash to the ground, I unstrap, get down to get it and luckily no damage. Mad as a hornet. And I wonder why no deer came around that day, hmm... :banghead:

On a positive note: last night I didn't see one deer but I seen the biggest Tom I've ever seen, all by himself, about 300 yds away, this ol boy had a 10" beard and will weigh easily 25 lbs...now..if he gets a little closer.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

sounds like a typical duck hunters story! lol

I hate it when things are stacked against a good fowl hunt!
Last edited by Hoobilly on November 21st, 2011, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

the only thing that could have made it worse is if ole mr big was with in 100 yards broadside lol
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

sounds like a story you wont forget...haha

Return to “Gobbler Talk”