Perfect Break

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Perfect Break

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

So last night I was out "deer waiting" and around dusk.. I heard a whole ton of flying cackles.. I looked over the swamp to the east and seen turkeys flying in all directions.. Unsure of whether the neighbor spooked them or whether a yote or something spooked them.. One turkey headed across the swamp 200 yards in flight and landed in the tree above me.. After dark I proceeded out and jumped 2 turkeys out of some small white pines..

So fast forward to this morning.. There I was sitting on my pickle bucket with a inch of fresh fallen snow on the ground.. I hear the hen above me moving around on the limb and she lets out a small tree yelp.. I than hear tree yelping in front of me a ways and across the swamp.. Shortly after daylight the hen beside me cackles as she moves to the ground.. She than proceeded to yelp, and yelp and yelp... Suddenly turkeys across the swamp yelped back softly.. All at once 4-6 turkeys pitched off there limb to the yelping hen behind me.. Shortly after the 2 I kicked out in front of me the evening before soared over my head to the cornfield..

It was cool to see the whole process of break up and regrouping.. If we had a fall season it would have been the perfect setup..
Cove

Re: Perfect Break

Post by Cove »

I need a good sound recorder. I could make a Tree Top CD in a couple areas I've been sitting waiting on pine goats. Had 3 young birds walk under me a couple weeks ago and approached my pull up rope that had a portion coiled on the ground, it resembled a snake. They started popping and purring, had they're necks all stretched out and formed a circle around it. Around and round they went, surveying the situation. I tried to video it but it wasnt possible with the camera arm I was using. Definitely hilarious to watch.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

It is amazing what a guy hears and sees when he is out in the woods in the early morning. Man, I love that stuff..Just watching the sun come up is a treat that most will never experience..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
mnturkey

Post by mnturkey »

That sounded like you had a good time with the Turkeys, that is what being in the "woods" is all about.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

sounds like a great time!
chatterbox

Post by chatterbox »

Very cool, Tom! It's an awsome experience, that's for sure!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”