Florida Spring Turkey Permits

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
hookspur

Florida Spring Turkey Permits

Post by hookspur »

This is a "heads-up" for anyone interested in hunting Osceolas on Florida's public lands next spring:

Phase 1 of the Quota Permit Application Period started yesterday, and runs until November 30. Go to http://www.myfwc.com for more details, and a listing of those WMA's subject to quota-only entry. Most of the state's properties limit hunter numbers by this method for a certain time period (opening weekend; first 9 days; etc.), then become open to the general public. Drawing a quota permit lets you get the jump on the hordes that descend on Florida's WMA's after that date.

A better way to score on an Osceola might be to draw a "Special Opportunity" permit, but the application period for those limited entry hunts ended on October 12th. If you'd rather hunt on private land, I still have a couple opening available, so contact me by private message if interested.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Florida Spring Turkey Permits

Post by Gobbler »

Thanks for posting Hookspur.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

This Sucks!
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

TT quit worrying. You'll be slapping five when you get yours. LOL
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

I tried to apply for a guota hunt and got an error 0660. It says prior license required. Do you have to buy a FL hunting license before you apply for a guota hunt?

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

You have to buy a management area permit or it won't let you apply. I tried to apply for my daughter and she has her license but no management area permit so it wouldn't take.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Gobbler wrote:You have to buy a management area permit or it won't let you apply. I tried to apply for my daughter and she has her license but no management area permit so it wouldn't take.

:violent1: :violent1:

darn wma permit...you shouldnt have to buy one until you get drawn :wave:
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

Be thankful....just for the "privilege" of applying in AZ, non-residents must first send in $229 ($151.25 for a hunting license, plus $77.75 for a turkey permit). If you fail to draw, they only refund the turkey permit money, and the state keeps the other $151.25. Of course, for that money, you receive a valid hunting license, but who the heck's gonna travel all the way to Arizona just to hunt small game?! I suppose you can always frame it and hang it on the wall.......

A WMA permit in Florida only cost $26.50, and is valid for one year from date of purchase, so it will be good when next year's drawing comes around. Too bad hikers, bikers, horseback riders, birders, etc. don't have to buy one...........
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

hookspur wrote:A WMA permit in Florida only cost $26.50, and is valid for one year from date of purchase, so it will be good when next year's drawing comes around. Too bad hikers, bikers, horseback riders, birders, etc. don't have to buy one...........
Amen to that observation.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

They should also stop allowing construction and controlled burns to be done while turkey hunters are in the woods. Gobbler and I almost bit the big one last season thanks to garbagio management techniques. They had to drive us out of the woods cause the smoke was too bad.
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

In somewhat a defense of burning while hunting season is going on, I gotta say that they only get a certain number of days every year to burn, and they gotta get it done in that window. If they didn't burn, we wouldn't have anywhere near the available habitat for turkeys to thrive in, because the whole place would be choked-dead by palmettos, and all we'd be finding are rattlesnakes and hogs! Say what you will, but those SWIFTMUD guys work danged-hard at burning, and conditions force them to burn when they can burn...not burn when they want to burn! The turkeys absolutely love a burn, and will be in there before the fire goes out, too! I think it's a shared responsibility for both sides to know what areas are being burned on any day. Not defending those guys nearly burning you up, but just saying that more information needs to be shared by both parties. They are most-certainly not the best at giving that information out to the gatehouse, and many hunters don't think to ask what areas are planned for burning on any given day.

In my opinion, there were many more turkeys when they leased the areas to cattle farmers, and the WMA's were filled with free-ranging cows. They kept the palmettos thinned and trampled, and the turkeys loved it! But ,I suppose they did away with that management strategy for liability issues, as those cows (and especially those BULLS!) were WILD and unpredictable!!!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Bulls are always entertaining to run into in the woods...lol....three lakes on 461 side last year I had two charge me. They almost got bird shot to the face.. luckily they disregarded me after failed attempts of hitting trees. I'm no rodeo clown and its not the funest of time when your trapped between two of them.
I agree that burns are great for property and birds, but I was more concerned that they didn't inform anyone about the areas of the land being burnt. They just lit a match and went about their marry way. There are a lot of ole timers still in the turkey woods. Just imagine if it would have been a guy with O2 problems...he would have gone home in a plastic bag.
Cove

Post by Cove »

Sent.

Without the burns, it would all be as useless as Bear Island inside BC. Once good, now gone.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”