Scoping a shotgun

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
YellaJacket

Scoping a shotgun

Post by YellaJacket »

I'm stuck trying to decide on a scope for a new turkey shotgun. I love the open red dots like the reflex style but cant seem to find any of the new ones that I want to try. I hate junk for one and want something I can rely on regardless of weather. Eotech has some great durable scopes just from what Ive read but even the smaller models are quite large. Burris has mentioned a FF3 coming soon. They have been good scopes for the money. but was wondering what you guys have tested and havent had any problems from. I'd also like to see a compact fixed reticle scope come out designed for turkey hunters.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Scoping a shotgun

Post by Hognutz »

I am an Aimpoint fan. I have them on my Benelli 12ga. and my BPS 10ga. The battery life is in years, not hours., and you can change it in about 30 seconds. Never had a problem with either. They are on the costly side, but worth every nickel, in my book. Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

I've been running a Burris FFII for a couple of seasons and I couldn't be more pleased. I'm not gentle on my turkey hunting shotgun and have hunted in some absolute downpours with not a single problem. I lost the cover for it the first season that I used it and been using it without the cover ever since...still no problems. Obviously, I'd recommend it highly.

Mike
Ultimate Predator
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

I put a simmons pro diamond on my 12 gauge about 9 years ago and love it. Only problem is you need time to get on the bird. I bought a 20 gauge to try after shoulder surgery and decided to try a red dot type. I put the mueller on it and used it the last 2 years. I haven't had a problem with it and it sure is nice to site with both eyes open much easier to get on a bird when its moving.
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

timbrhuntr wrote:I put a simmons pro diamond on my 12 gauge about 9 years ago and love it. Only problem is you need time to get on the bird. I bought a 20 gauge to try after shoulder surgery and decided to try a red dot type. I put the mueller on it and used it the last 2 years. I haven't had a problem with it and it sure is nice to site with both eyes open much easier to get on a bird when its moving.
Ive got a simmons pro diamond on a Rem 870 spst 12. Great fixed reticle for the money. Ive gotten more favorable towards the holo sights lately because of peripherals. Ive got several of the Burris ff scopes. My only gripe on those is removing to replace batt. The ff3 is supposed to eliminate that as well as the locking screws. Im just in search of something I may have missed out on.

Check out these.
I like this sight. Available at several places like optics planet. I just snagged a link. This one clamps straight to a weaver rail. Down side is its 2.40" wide and 2.40" tall. Not overly huge but still a bit big. Might not be too bad on a 10.
http://www.basspro.com/EOTech-L3-Hologr ... 5553/40584

I like this one too.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/jp-rifles-j ... sight.html

When I look at Mueller I see these and Wonder.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... t104526180

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP270-1.html
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I used a rifle scope for years on my turkey shotgun with only one minor issue as you can see with the following picture. Then I went went a Simmons Pro Diamond, again with only one minor issue "broke thumb" figure that one out. My next purchase will be one of the EO Techs. I figure with that if I break something it will be on someone else's body.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

Daaaanng it. My nose is hurting now How did you break a thumb on a scope?

Yeah, Ive never heard anything bad on Eotech quality..as should be because of price. Ive fought myself for awhile wanting to get one. Whats your take on the size? Also they weigh a half pound.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I wince everytime I see that photo, Ronnie. You are still purdy as ever. :shock:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

YellaJacket wrote:Daaaanng it. My nose is hurting now How did you break a thumb on a scope?
It takes a special talent. Sitting on butt, both legs bent up with gun on left knee and left hand on top of scope with thumb on top of gun behind scope, pull trigger and walah.
Double Naught Spy!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

guesswho wrote:I used a rifle scope for years on my turkey shotgun with only one minor issue as you can see with the following picture. Then I went went a Simmons Pro Diamond, again with only one minor issue "broke thumb" figure that one out. My next purchase will be one of the EO Techs. I figure with that if I break something it will be on someone else's body.
Yikes!! That looks Uuugly, Doood! ....Of course, if you joined the NWTF, they would teach you how not to do that....
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :toothy7: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

And here we GO! :lol: :lol:
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

YeeeHawwww!!! Giddeeyup, Ronnie!!
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

im with hognutz on the aimpoints.ive never seen rings that came with a scope that you can reef on for tightning like the aimpoints.i have the aimpoint 9000sc.and im looking to get another for the sp10.unmatched quality.ya get what ya pay for in scopes,for any gun......
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Hey man those are some nice sights but those eo teck.trijicon and c-more types are just way out of my league price wise. As far the cheaper ones you can get some that are every bit as good as the big money ones for their price but you need some research. I think the real cheap ones like the site mark could be trouble. I bought a cheaper bsa red dot before and it shattered after a box of 3.5 inch turkey loads. I personnally would have no issue recommending the simmons pro diamond to anyone (except maybe guesswho)as it has worked flawlessly, as far as the mueller quick shot goes I have only had it for 2 seasons but it seems to perform well. I'll give it a couple more seasons and if it keeps performing well I will be happy with it.I like the site picture and would like to try it for waterfowl. Anyway good luck in getting the site you want.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

YellaJacket wrote:I'm stuck trying to decide on a scope for a new turkey shotgun. I love the open red dots like the reflex style but cant seem to find any of the new ones that I want to try. I hate junk for one and want something I can rely on regardless of weather. Eotech has some great durable scopes just from what Ive read but even the smaller models are quite large. Burris has mentioned a FF3 coming soon. They have been good scopes for the money. but was wondering what you guys have tested and havent had any problems from. I'd also like to see a compact fixed reticle scope come out designed for turkey hunters.
leupold prismatic for a compact fixed reticle scope.been thinking of trying one myself but can't get away from the aimpoint.good luck in what ever ya get.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

GobbleNut wrote: Yikes!! That looks Uuugly, Doood! ....Of course, if you joined the NWTF, they would teach you how not to do that....
For a small phenomenal donation of course. :D
Double Naught Spy!
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

I did check out the prismatic earlier today. Also what model aimpoint are you guys running? A friend has one with a larger bell and one single ring mount. I too believe with optics you get what you pay for but also like good customer service..because anything can break or have quirks. I haven't heard about eotech customer service. Burrisoptics is pretty good. I've got a couple leupold rifle scopes but never had any trouble to get in touch with customer service.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

I bought a nikon Turkey pro scope. So far I like it and have sighted it in. I need to hunt with it this year to give my opinion.
I missed a lot last year and hope this new scope will help. Cause its not my fault I miss. :D
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by vaturkey »

I've got a Leupold vx2 2x7 shotgun scope on my Benelli & my Rem. & really like them. The vx2 model hasent been made in a while. IMO best shotgun scope !! :thumbright:

vaturkey :struttin:
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

YellaJacket wrote:I did check out the prismatic earlier today. Also what model aimpoint are you guys running? A friend has one with a larger bell and one single ring mount. I too believe with optics you get what you pay for but also like good customer service..because anything can break or have quirks. I haven't heard about eotech customer service. Burrisoptics is pretty good. I've got a couple leupold rifle scopes but never had any trouble to get in touch with customer service.
aimpoint 9000sc
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I have a 9000sc on my BPS, and a 7000 series on my Benelli.
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

Those aimpoint micro series are sweet.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

TruGlo all day every day!
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

Everyone runs what they have the best luck with without break downs. I had two brand new tru glos fail with Nitros...I slung the last one down the driveway. Also 1 Burris open holo site fail. The burris speeddot has been a rock through it all.. I dont discriminate with brands. If its junk its junk, if it works great I will use it. I dont look for just the pricey ones. I have a simmons pro diamond on one of my shotguns. works like a champ so far. If a scope gives up the ghost on me I wont use the same style again. I will say this..You Generally get a hell of a lot better service out of better quality optics which cost more.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”