"Killer" Koa Kalls

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
hookspur

"Killer" Koa Kalls

Post by hookspur »

On the second-to-last day of last spring, I lost one of my all-time favorite calls...an Andy Kaiser pot/peg that he made for me prior to the 2005 season. Andy had previously honeymooned in Hawaii, and brought back some curly Koa wood from his trip, so when I contacted him about making me a call that winter and told him how my first stop of the year was going to be on "The Big Island," it seemed appropriate for my call to be crafted from some of that beautiful, highly-figured Koa. Well, the masterpiece he created was not only gorgeous to look at, but it sounded fantastic, too! A lot of gobblers all across the nation have lost their heads since then due to its sweet nothings whispered in their ears, and I was broken-hearted when I lost it. I even spent 2 days trying to retrace my steps and find it, but without any good luck. When I think how those damnable Pennsylvania porcupines have undoubtedly chewed it to pieces by now, it almost makes me wanna throw up!

Well, I contacted Andy again after I got back home, and recounted how such a tragedy had befallen me. Would you believe that he not only said he'd try to make me another, but that he still had a board of that very same wood in the shop, and he'd try to make an exact copy of my beloved Koa call? How great is that?!

When I told this tale to my best hunting buddies, some of them asked if he'd make calls for them too, and before I knew it, I was ordering 5 of them! I think Andy used up every last splinter of that prized Koa wood, but here they are, and they are magnificent!! Feast your eyes, fellas:

Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: "Killer" Koa Kalls

Post by Gobbler »

Those are beautiful.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Andy won't talk to me anymore.....

I lost the Super Bowl bet to LH "David Calhoun" for those that don't know him...

Andy had to make a "Saints" colored slate for David when the Colts threw the game away.

It hurt me shelling the dough for the call....but I think it hurt Andy worse as he had to make it. :oops:

Very nice calls there!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
YellaJacket

Post by YellaJacket »

Koa makes a good call. I bet those sing!
Grover
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grover »

Beautiful calls there Doc.
"INFIDEL"
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Very nice, Doc. Hope it is a worthy replacement. I'm sure that it will sing. They sure are pretty..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

nice!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”