Wind, Mud, Rain and Gunfire

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Wind, Mud, Rain and Gunfire

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

After 10 days in the high 70s and low 80s our weather took a drastic change.. Awoke to 40 degree temps, 30 MPH WNW winds and non stop rain.. Sal and I had made short work of limit in this field the other night and got out in time to let 400 birds drop in. So we let it rest until we had a crew.. The geese worked amazingly well for the amount of wind we had. It was a PIA calling the shot as the wind kept moving the birds in out of gun range when they would set up.. The shooting was pretty bad as I have a feeling the wind drift on a load of 2s is a bunch. One of the crew asked if he could take a 10 yr old that had just lost his father.. I obliged and the kid got a introduction to goose hunting with the birds, mud and weather.

The highlight of the day was when we needed one bird for a limit and a loner bowed up.. I told sal this was her bird. 30, 20, 10 yards and she finally pulled up and shot at 10 feet, making a shot we refer to as a "pillowcasing".. Upon touching the trigger it looked as if a feather pillow had exploded and daylight could be seen through the bird.

Limit minus the 4 Jon and the boy killed, He had a pop warner football game this morning and had to leave while we picked up.. Image

A Few short Video Clips shot from an I Phone

Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Wind, Mud, Rain and Gunfire

Post by Hognutz »

Very nice. How did the kid like goose hunting, and how did he shoot? He will never forget this morning. That is for sure..Well done..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Hognutz wrote:Very nice. How did the kid like goose hunting, and how did he shoot? He will never forget this morning. That is for sure..Well done..
He enjoyed it... We let him claim every goose.. I know for sure he azz packed one that my buddy cleaned up.. Pretty decent for how difficult the shooting was this morning.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

nice!

Kids first time out....now its in his blood!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
TRKYHTR

Post by TRKYHTR »

That I phone takes better footage than most of these hunting shows. Nice job Tom. I didn't hear any calling, whats up with that?

TRKYHTR
Eph 2:8-9
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

TRKYHTR wrote:That I phone takes better footage than most of these hunting shows. Nice job Tom. I didn't hear any calling, whats up with that?

TRKYHTR
Wind... With the 30 mph winds we stretched the blinds over probably 60 yards and had the decoys set wide too to give them a huge kill hole in which to land.. I was on one end calling while Jon with the I phone was on the other.. Hence why you could not here the calling. Mornings like this however I tend not to call much.. The birds wanted the field and with it being a silage field there was not much to hide in... Calling will draw attention to the blinds...

That I Phone amazed me as well.. Last week we were sitting eating breakfast after he had taped and he showed me and I was floored as to the quality of the video.. I really wish at times we would tape some of our stuff.. When and if we ever get a push of mallards this year because our locals never bred, hopefully he gets some footage of them in the cornfield. Its like swatting mosquitos on a good day.

Hopefully get some footage this morning.. Our birds were scattered last night due to the wind and us blowing them out of that field.. Sometimes I wish JOn would not film.. He is a "circle of death" with a shotgun, their is some footage yesterday with geese landing ten yards off his flank and I am sitting in the blind going, why aint he coming out rockin? Well he was filming :?
FuzzSawyer

Post by FuzzSawyer »

Sweet! I'm so jealous, we don't open back up until Thanksgiving. Keep whacking them!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

FuzzSawyer wrote:Sweet! I'm so jealous, we don't open back up until Thanksgiving. Keep whacking them!
Thanksgiving. Man we got a 3 day over Thanksgiving than we open up Dec 3 and 4 and we are done.. I could cry when goose season end. I love killing ducks, but nothing compares to big ol honkers bowed up in the dekes..

WE did well this A.M as well No video however.
FuzzSawyer

Post by FuzzSawyer »

When we do open back up we go through the end of January, so that helps ease the pain of a 9 day early goose season. No ducks until the 29th of this month, so I'm in a bird killing lull....Please keep up the dead bird pictures!
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

great fun right there!
Preacher

Post by Preacher »

how do you cook a goose? I tried one time, it did not work out too well.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Preacher wrote:how do you cook a goose? I tried one time, it did not work out too well.
cut into chunks...wrap bacon slices around it and skewer....add raspberry chipotle bbq sauce, or your fav bbq, and cook on grill till the bacon is sizzling. You want the goose meat medium rare...

don't share with your friends and family....they will start hunting your spots.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
GOLD HUNTER
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GOLD HUNTER »

looking good guys !!!

:toothy5:
brian
LET'S GO TROUT FISHING
Stinky J Picklestein
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Stinky J Picklestein »

hoobilly wrote:
Preacher wrote:how do you cook a goose? I tried one time, it did not work out too well.
cut into chunks...wrap bacon slices around it and skewer....add raspberry chipotle bbq sauce, or your fav bbq, and cook on grill till the bacon is sizzling. You want the goose meat medium rare...

don't share with your friends and family....they will start hunting your spots.
Hmmm...I gotsta try some these goose chunks.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”