Broadheads?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Broadheads?

Post by guesswho »

I think I might bow hunt this year and was wondering which broadhead I should go with. I want to stay away from big fixed blades like the Guillotine's. I'm afraid they would cut to big of a hole in my blind, and after a few shots the whole side would open up. Would a mechanical work ok on turkey's? And would they stay closed going through my blind?
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Shooter
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Broadheads?

Post by Shooter »

Ask me again in a month,...lol
I'm gonna try a bow again this year a little. Have not done it in over 25 years.
I'm just gonna use the Carbon express Torrid heads, three blade mechanicals I used on deer last year.
Not going to use a blind, so not even gonna try a head shot unless it is just real close.

I kind of think that they will open going through anything.
HuntSource

Post by HuntSource »

Run 100-gr. NAP Spitfires if you want to go mechanical. They make a turkey version with a blunt tip. I don't plan to use ever them though. I've accumulated a bunch of the regular ones and they've worked quite satisfactorily. However, I'm not big on shooting mechanicals through blind netting. I'd go fixed. That said, I really like the Slick Trick Standard 100-gr. It'd definitely be the way I'd go if I were trying to punch through blind netting. It flies like a mechanical and blows a hole like a slug.
Last edited by HuntSource on February 28th, 2013, 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

Slick Trick 100.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
KevinFarr

Post by KevinFarr »

guesswho wrote:I think I might bow hunt this year and was wondering which broadhead I should go with. I want to stay away from big fixed blades like the Guillotine's. I'm afraid they would cut to big of a hole in my blind, and after a few shots the whole side would open up. Would a mechanical work ok on turkey's? And would they stay closed going through my blind?
Mechanicals work great on turkeys, but DON'T shoot them through the mesh/blind. You can kill them with any broadhead and like everything, shot-placement is key. Turkeys have a small vital area and it's a good idea to study shot placement for different angles. I like the large-cut mechanicals because they are large cut. I shoot a Rage. I also add an adder point to help slow penetration and hopefully keep the arrow in the bird. This has many benefits such as continuing to cut while inside and also making it difficult for him to run or fly off. He can't motivate too good with an arrow sticking in him.

A guillotine or bullhead adds another whole set of things to deal with such as shorter effective range and the need for longer and stiffer-spined arrows.

Good luck this spring and I hope you stick a good 'un.

termite
I like huntn' turkeys, but I love killin' turkeys !!
ole5beards

Post by ole5beards »

Rage :lol:
Pass the biscuits!!
drenalinld
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Broadheads?

Post by drenalinld »

Some things are just too good for words.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

Maybe you need a Steel Blind with an Air Conditioner installed.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

ole5beards wrote:Rage :lol:
:lol:
Double Naught Spy!
davisd9
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by davisd9 »

Have you patterned this bow to make sure you are getting an ethical pattern? What distances are you shooting? Do not want newbies trying to shoot to far. :D
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

If you want to go Mechanical check out the Puckett Bloodtrailers, nothing compares.. Or if you like fixed blade check out the Kolpin Twisters..
Hambone79

Post by Hambone79 »

Useing a mechanical is fine just not through a blind or the mesh the blades will be opened a little wich flight will be changed Drastically. In the blind use your choice of fixed head. I personally like the Montec CS . But my go to broadhead is the Ramcat its a hybrid fixed/mechanical. these you can shoot through a blind and well they cut as or if they back out a animal great broadhead.
KevinFarr

Post by KevinFarr »

Hambone79 wrote:Useing a mechanical is fine just not through a blind or the mesh the blades will be opened a little wich flight will be changed Drastically. In the blind use your choice of fixed head. I personally like the Montec CS . But my go to broadhead is the Ramcat its a hybrid fixed/mechanical. these you can shoot through a blind and well they cut as or if they back out a animal great broadhead.
I've heard a lot of great things about the Ramcats. I've been thinking about checking them out.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

ICDEDTURKES wrote:If you want to go Mechanical check out the Puckett Bloodtrailers, nothing compares.. Or if you like fixed blade check out the Kolpin Twisters..
I think I actually have some of each left from the early 80's. I think thier copper colored. I have some concerns with that. I guess I could spray paint them flat black. Would the smell of the fresh paint be an issue?
Double Naught Spy!
Hambone79

Post by Hambone79 »

there is a mechanical call BuckBuster that are huge cutting area like 3" 125 grain fly like crap at long distance but worked good for turkey up close.
KevinFarr

Post by KevinFarr »

guesswho wrote:
ICDEDTURKES wrote:If you want to go Mechanical check out the Puckett Bloodtrailers, nothing compares.. Or if you like fixed blade check out the Kolpin Twisters..
I think I actually have some of each left from the early 80's. I think thier copper colored. I have some concerns with that. I guess I could spray paint them flat black. Would the smell of the fresh paint be an issue?
Fresh paint odors are quickly masked by the smell of fresh blood.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

KevinFarr wrote:
guesswho wrote:
Additionally the paint would probably cure the aforementioned problem of shooting through the blind as the paint when dry would form a binder to help keep the blades closed.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

KevinFarr wrote:
guesswho wrote:
Not to mention the smell of doo doo coming from inside the blind after the zipper breaks and you can't get out to unload them breakfast burritos. great cover scent. :toothy7:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

try out the NAP gobbler getters! I have yet to kill a turkey with mine, but I have kilt a doe with one. the round bullet type nose was absolutely bone crushing
has to work excellent for the turkeys
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Just don't shoot your decoy by mistake !!
gblack15

Post by gblack15 »

Slick Trick, they are super sharp and fly like darts.
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20
GSLAM95
Location: Southern Illinois - NOTE: Chicago is not part of IL by our choice!

Post by GSLAM95 »

hoobilly wrote:try out the NAP gobbler getters! I have yet to kill a turkey with mine, but I have kilt a doe with one. the round bullet type nose was absolutely bone crushing
has to work excellent for the turkeys
The Gobbler Getter has a rounded bullet point which is designed specifically for turkey hunting. This same head is a bad choice for whitetail and I would not recommend anyone shooting at a deer with this head!
When in doubt,show up early. Think less. Feel more. Ask once. Give thanks often. Expect the best. Appreciate everything. Never give up. Make it fun. Lead. Invent. Regroup. Wink. Chill. Smile. And live as if your success was inevitable, and so it shall be.
Cont520

Broadheads?

Post by Cont520 »

gblack15 wrote:Slick Trick, they are super sharp and fly like darts.
Hell yeah x2
Double beard guide service LLC
GSLAM95
Location: Southern Illinois - NOTE: Chicago is not part of IL by our choice!

Post by GSLAM95 »

The Gobbler Getter by NAP is a good choice for body shots on turkey but my favorite head which is made by NAP also is the F.O.C. which stands for Freaking Outrageous Cut! It is a 2 blade mechanical 3" cut head with the same rounded nose as it's little brother the Gobbler Getter. I have been using it for the last two years with devastating results. I have either put birds down in their tracks or they have taken less than 10 steps before falling over dead! The entry hole is unbelievable due to the rounded point pushing the skin tight before the blades reach the skin and start cutting which in turn results in the actual cut being more than 3"....
When in doubt,show up early. Think less. Feel more. Ask once. Give thanks often. Expect the best. Appreciate everything. Never give up. Make it fun. Lead. Invent. Regroup. Wink. Chill. Smile. And live as if your success was inevitable, and so it shall be.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

timbrhuntr wrote:Just don't shoot your decoy by mistake !!
I think I got that covered. I'm coming out with my own line of decoy's. Probably unveil them in the next day or two. Field testing went very well. Stay tuned.
Double Naught Spy!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”