Subspecies

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Subspecies

Post by Gobbler »

I have killed a grand slam and a Mexican Gould.

Question:
In all honesty are there really 5 subspecies or are there 3 with different phases? Or are there two with different phases?

I'm only asking cause the Gould looks like the Merriam which in some cases looks like the Rio. And I have killed Easterns in SE Georgia that look like an Osceola and have killed Osceolas in Central Florida that resembled Easterns.

I like the Grand Slam Challenge. I think its cool. Just wonder sometimes.
vaturkey
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Subspecies

Post by vaturkey »

The JAM is on my hit list - Thats a Jake Grand Slam

And also a Hillbilly Slam is on my hit list- Thats a gobbler in Va. Tenn. Kentucky & West Va. All I need on this one is West Va.

Im pretty sure gobblerD has the Jake Slam !!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

I have killed a few each of the five subspecies. I agree that the Merriams and Goulds resemble each other closely, but there are some not-so-obvious anatomical differences between them. It is interesting that genetically, the Goulds is supposedly the most different of the five. Easterns and Osceolas are supposedly the least genetically different of the five.
As for Rios and Merriams, if you kill one of them from an area where they are not hybridized, there is a very distinct difference between them in coloration. The colors of their body feathers and the iredescence are clearly different.
I also agree that it is cool that we turkey hunters can have our own "slams" to pursue. ....Just adds another element to our obsession....
Gobbler
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Gobbler »

Yes I realize there must be some genetic differences. The hybreds are probably what i have run into.

The slam is fun and challenging. It will make you many friends and memories.
Turkey Talker
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkey Talker »

hybrids....thats what its all about. if it wasnt for proper management most of the species would have been killed off. they bred subspecies together to get more birds in areas of low population. the hybrids bred wth the subs, therefore creating a huge sespool of americans like us! lol

Return to “Gobbler Talk”