Turkey Hunting Books

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Jstocks

Turkey Hunting Books

Post by Jstocks »

I’ve had a good run of luck lately getting some good books for my collection. I’m currently reading a book that was written by a fella from Mississippi by the name Robert Hitt Neill. The book’s title is “The Jakes” and although this far, it is not specifically about turkey hunting, it has some turkey hunting stories in it. It is a story that brings me back to some past memories of my teenage years. Definitely worth picking up and reading if you can find a copy.

I’ve also had the good fortune of turning up a copy of several more good books that I will read shortly. This list includes:
A Bird Of Courage
Tall Timber Gabriels
Turkey Hunting: A One Man Game

I like to read and collect, so all my books I try to get hard copies.
Rogerd

Re: Turkey Hunting Books

Post by Rogerd »

i have a signed copy of A Bird of Courage im thinking about selling if you know anyone interested.
RapscallionVermilion

Post by RapscallionVermilion »

I enjoy the hunt for good turkey reads in the off-season. Some have taken a couple of years to find at a decent price. Most recent is a pristine first printing of Tom Kelly's "The Season" for $10, my favorite of Col. Kelly's books. I'd read it years ago as a library book, but wanted my own copy. Found it online in a small upstate New York bookshop.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Probably the most informative book and a must read for turkey hunters, not a Tom Kelly type tome, but a scientific read is, "Wild Turkey Hunting and Management" by the late Lovett E. Williams PhD. I know of no other book which covers the complete biology of the wild turkey w/ hunting and gear information which is timeless.
HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

How did you like Tall Timber Gabriels? Reading the package of the Primos call with the same name, the gentleman that wrote it seems like an interesting fellow. I’d like to read it as I haven’t found a copy yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

HartClemson99 wrote: June 18th, 2020, 12:06 pm How did you like Tall Timber Gabriels? Reading the package of the Primos call with the same name, the gentleman that wrote it seems like an interesting fellow. I’d like to read it as I haven’t found a copy yet.

I have not read it yet. And probably won’t get a chance for a little while as I’ve got several others I purchased ahead of it. When I do read it I’ll let you know.

Being from Mississippi, I had a short list of books I wanted to buy that were written by Ms authors. There’s still a few I need to collect, one being “The Greatest Days of My Life” by Jack Dudley.
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

Jstocks wrote: June 18th, 2020, 6:00 pm
HartClemson99 wrote: June 18th, 2020, 12:06 pm How did you like Tall Timber Gabriels? Reading the package of the Primos call with the same name, the gentleman that wrote it seems like an interesting fellow. I’d like to read it as I haven’t found a copy yet.

I have not read it yet. And probably won’t get a chance for a little while as I’ve got several others I purchased ahead of it. When I do read it I’ll let you know.

Being from Mississippi, I had a short list of books I wanted to buy that were written by Ms authors. There’s still a few I need to collect, one being “The Greatest Days of My Life” by Jack Dudley.
good luck with that one

Return to “Gobbler Talk”