Cancelled hunt deposits

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
wingbonehntr

Cancelled hunt deposits

Post by wingbonehntr »

What are y’all’s thoughts on deposits for hunts that are getting cancelled? I have 3 that has been cancelled, one in Mexico for a goulds, which is paid in full. One in Texas, which the outfitter said he will use deposits for next years hunt. And one in Nebraska, he said sorry, I paid my lease and not asking landowners for any of it back. Thanks
Trustyrusty

Re: Cancelled hunt deposits

Post by Trustyrusty »

That's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. 2 out of 3 expenses returned, you're winning. Think of the money the guides have lost. That's a tough hit.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

aristico

Post by aristico »

I say any outfitter that doesn't pass deposits to the next year needs to be put out.... It isn't your fault he paid his lease. Any good outfitter will do the right thing and move deposits to the next year. They can all apply for disaster loans if it hit them that bad. You are paying for a service if that service is given you shouldn't lose ypur money.
ncturkey

Post by ncturkey »

If you paid by credit card dispute the charge and let the bank fight with the outfitter over it.
Mike
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

You paid for a service he can’t deliver. If you didn’t cancel the hunt then the risk of loss falls on him and he should refund the money unless your contract says clearly to the contrary.
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

A friend had a turkey hunt this year booked on one of the Pima Reservations in Arizona. They cancelled his hunt and declined to refund any money under an "Act of God" declaration.
cutt down

Post by cutt down »

wingbonehntr wrote: April 1st, 2020, 12:17 pm What are y’all’s thoughts on deposits for hunts that are getting cancelled? I have 3 that has been cancelled, one in Mexico for a goulds, which is paid in full. One in Texas, which the outfitter said he will use deposits for next years hunt. And one in Nebraska, he said sorry, I paid my lease and not asking landowners for any of it back. Thanks
2 of the 3 are legit stand up operations. The guide in NE is not! Social media is a powerful tool. I'd put it on the net with the guy's name & business. And not in a derogatory way but state the truth to get opinions. It's not slander because you are stating the truth. You'll get his attention but you won't be able to hunt with him next year & I wouldn't worry about it because he's shown his true colors. I can somewhat understand his point but a legit outfitter would roll over your deposit for next year at the least or refund your deposit.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

In NE, did the outfitter cancel the hunt, or you just can’t go because the state suspended NR license sales?
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
wingbonehntr

Post by wingbonehntr »

In NE, did the outfitter cancel the hunt, or you just can’t go because the state suspended NR license sales?

Can’t go because of license sales
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

wingbonehntr wrote: April 1st, 2020, 8:21 pm In NE, did the outfitter cancel the hunt, or you just can’t go because the state suspended NR license sales?

Can’t go because of license sales
Well . . . That’s a little different. He’s out money too and he’s presumably still willing to hold up his end. You just can’t take advantage because of something the state did. That’s way beyond his control. It sucks for both sides.
Last edited by Southern Sportsman on April 2nd, 2020, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
va longbeard

Post by va longbeard »

Tough times for sure!

I paid in full for a Montana hunt that outfitter has let us re-book same dates next year. I ate the license cost Montana will not refund.

South Dakota hunt same story as above but did not buy licenses luckily.

Guy in Wyoming is not budging either come or lose the money, at the moment I am playing it nicely but that will change if he doesn't change his tune. I hate to get nasty with him on social media but I will if it goes south.

Being in mid 50s with other health conditions I ain't getting on a plane right now and its a ton of risk to drive 24 hours plus to get to a hunting destination.

Sucks losing money but I would rather not risk my life over a turkey!

Just came back from Florida and seeing that roadblock on I95 last Sunday made my heart sink, if your traveling anywhere now there is a real good chance you could get stuck there.

Concerning Nebraska the sale of hunting tags for has been closed for all non-residents if you take him to court on that one you should win you paid for a service he can't deliver as you cant buy tags now.

Everyone be safe and take care of your families!
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

We rolled our Mexico trip to next year with no problem and need to wait until the last minute to cancel flights so we can use what refund there is, if there still is, for next years hunt for a week earlier :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
va longbeard

Post by va longbeard »

soiltester wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 10:12 am We rolled our Mexico trip to next year with no problem and need to wait until the last minute to cancel flights so we can use what refund there is, if there still is, for next years hunt for a week earlier :thumbup:
Wish I got that lucky on my 3 trips maybe 2 out 3 ain't that bad but that one is leaving a bad taste in my mouth right now!
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

Post the name for the Nebraska outfitter so other forum members won't get screwed in the future.
Suburbhunter

Post by Suburbhunter »

If I have to move my Mexico trip to next year, which is paid in full, I'll only have to buy the tags again.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Suburbhunter wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 2:08 pm If I have to move my Mexico trip to next year, which is paid in full, I'll only have to buy the tags again.
Our Outfitter supplies it all for 1 price and we pay extra for extra birds, as long as he know ahead how many we'd like to take.
1/2 down & bal. of payment when he picks us up at El Paso and head to the mountains, 6 hrs away :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Suburbhunter

Post by Suburbhunter »

soiltester wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 2:48 pm
Suburbhunter wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 2:08 pm If I have to move my Mexico trip to next year, which is paid in full, I'll only have to buy the tags again.
Our Outfitter supplies it all for 1 price and we pay extra for extra birds, as long as he know ahead how many we'd like to take.
1/2 down & bal. of payment when he picks us up at El Paso and head to the mountains, 6 hrs away :thumbup:
We paid in full for a two bird hunt. If we can't make it the guide will move the hunt to 2021, but we will have to pay his cost that he pays the landowners per bird next year, since he already paid them for this year.
aristico

Post by aristico »

Suburbhunter wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 4:12 pm
soiltester wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 2:48 pm
We paid in full for a two bird hunt. If we can't make it the guide will move the hunt to 2021, but we will have to pay his cost that he pays the landowners per bird next year, since he already paid them for this year.
Have room for one me if we survive this? (-:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”