Soft tanning exotic deer skin

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
SwampDrummin

Soft tanning exotic deer skin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Has anyone ever sent a skin off to be tanned somewhere that they could recommend? (Or do you know places I should avoid?)

I have a big beautiful skin from a sambar deer my father shot this last fall sitting in my freeZer. It’s basically a small elk hide, the animal was about 450 lbs live weight. I was wanting to send it off to get it tanned somewhere so that it’s soft and pliable with the skin on, kinda like a giant blanket if that’s even possible

I’ve got two little ones and another on the way so finding the time to do it myself is out of the question. Looking to ship it off and fork over some $ to get back a nice product.
Limb Hanger

Re: Soft tanning exotic deer skin

Post by Limb Hanger »

Typically you have to flesh it out completely then dry it out with salt to get it ready to ship unless your going to try and ship it frozen which would just about have to be an overnight delivery-very expensive for something that big if you could even find a carrier willing to ship it raw. You could get a local taxidermist flesh it and dry it then ship it off to a tannery.
Go to Taxidermy.net and look up services, then tanneries and you might get lucky and find one close enough to drive to-then you could deliver it raw.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Soft tanning exotic deer skin

Post by Hoobilly »

Wildwings taxidermy. Akron Indiana can do it. 20-25$ per square foot

Call Paul Fites
574-835-0642
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Gobbler Talk”