Mule Deer Rut Hunt

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
GobbleNut

Re: Mule Deer Rut Hunt

Post by GobbleNut »

A bit surprised that he didn't break 160,...but pictures can be so deceiving. Toasty was right on the money. Really pretty mule deer buck, nonetheless,...and for those of us that don't get to hunt in mule deer Utopia, he is very deserving of being put on the wall
toasty

Post by toasty »

GobbleNut wrote: November 13th, 2019, 8:22 am A bit surprised that he didn't break 160,...but pictures can be so deceiving. Toasty was right on the money. Really pretty mule deer buck, nonetheless,...and for those of us that don't get to hunt in mule deer Utopia, he is very deserving of being put on the wall
I hunt mule deer every year and I would put that buck on the wall. You have to be really dedicated, own huge amounts of private property, or lucky to shoot a buck above 160". I am in my 40s and I have yet to shoot a buck bigger than 160". Hobbes has put in a lot of work and shot some great bucks.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Should have had a limit today if not for poor shooting on a couple occasions. I was ready to give Kassie away at one point when she lost all sense due to a bunch of running birds, but then she redeemed herself and nailed down three roosters at the end of a patch of cover. She caught them at the end and pinned them between us. One of them was lucky I couldn't get my third shot off due to a big cottonwood. Two of them weren't so lucky.
IMG_20191113_125404119_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191113_125426750_HDR.jpg
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Crazy fun, right there! Way to go, Hobbes!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Oh the joy of bird doggn!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
PharmHunter

Post by PharmHunter »

Fantastic stuff!
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I'm about halfway home now. I spent part of the day looking for new pheasants, but had no luck with the birds. However, on our last hunt we jumped some whitetail does and while hiking back I spotted a bedded doe along the edge of the adjacent hay field.

Once back at the truck, I put Kassie in the dog crate, cased the shotgun, put on my orange vest and grabbed the rifle. I ended up filling my antlerless whitetail tag somewhat unexpectedly. I didn't take much in the way of photos. This effort put me behind schedule by at least an hour, but the meat should be worth it.

Kassie and I headed across to a ditch and old pond where we hoped to find a rooster.
IMG_20191114_115244794.jpg
Instead of pheasants I found whitetails in the hay field over the hill.
IMG_20191114_132010140_HDR.jpg
Just driving left now. Back to work on Monday. I wish I had another week and another buck tag. Maybe I'll have a chance to find an elk.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Congrats on the doe

Hoping you get to head out for elk.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/

Return to “Gobbler Talk”