Very Special Box Call

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Jstocks

Very Special Box Call

Post by Jstocks »

I wanted to share with you guys a very special box call. The Good Lord has blessed me in many ways, and much more than I deserve for sure. My wife and 3 girls being a big part of those blessings. This Spring I shared a very special moment in the turkey woods with my oldest daughter Julianne. Now fellas, I’ve shared my fair share of setups with grown men. Had some real special moments, but nothing compares.

The hunt started by us going to a familiar place to us. A place she had missed a gobbler a couple years before. We got there early on this cool morning. We had been told of some hens that had been seen nearby the day before, and we had hopes that there’d be a gobbler nearby. As the day began to come alive, a gobbler let loose not a hundred yards from us in a big white oak, just up the hill from the little creek we were sitting by. We weren’t in a blind, we were next to a tree, tucked into the bank of a creek and a fence row, set up on a gobbler like a hunter should be. (Nothing against guys with blinds. I have one myself. It just don’t compare to the traditional setup).
As the day continued to break, there was not one, but 2 gobblers and 15 or so hens. They all flew down behind us in a little field just across the creek. From our experience here, we knew to be patient, because they always seem to come through a gap between the small field behind us and the big field
We were on the edge of, just about 25 yards away. I just so happened to have gotten there early enough to place a strutting decoy out where it could be seen through the gap before we set up that morning. As in my prior experience with these type of setups, the gobblers strutted around their hens for an hour as the flock slowly made its way closer to the gap. At some point, probably around 125 yards away, you could tell the mood changed and here the 2 strutters come. They were coming from behind her left shoulder and were going to wind up 25 yards from us. As I sat next to her, she had full control. I had told her not to try to swing her gun, just let them walk in front of us. She held still as they come and walked right out in front her gun barrel. I told her to pick one out and she made a great shot. Tommy’s Hot Rod load out of her Franchi Affinity really did a number on him.

We took some pictures after all that, and I contemplated what should be done to preserve such a memory. Well, here are a couple of pictures. Thank you Richard Hudson and Kelly Puckett!
Attachments
36B08AB2-7478-4F9C-B62B-530B5486C235.jpeg
63086930-56A1-4ED6-9141-5D8C65F86D06.jpeg
FA8A2B31-2FB8-43D6-9866-B9BFA04833F4.jpeg
Jstocks

Re: Very Special Box Call

Post by Jstocks »

6D2B4C4E-3762-434B-A427-04B12E3FCC99.jpeg
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

532E7B90-8B2B-4422-80D1-06FBA86A9D87.jpeg
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

Awesom Jstocks! Thanks for sharing bud
crow

Post by crow »

Congrats on your Daughters gobbler, good story and pics.

nice looking call and beautiful artwork, Kelly does outstanding work
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Awesome story and that memory is now ingrained into a superb box call!

Congrats on all accounts!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

Two very talented people + a moment like that = a keepsake of memory you can't put a price on!

Awesome stuff bud! Congrats!!!
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
Jecturkeydad

Post by Jecturkeydad »

Beautiful

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Incredible, it's all I can say !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Hunting anything with your girls will bring you way more satisfaction than hunting with older men, I know my 3 girls did.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
firedup

Post by firedup »

That one is a true work of art and I am sure it will be a family treasure! Congrats! Richard and Kelly are both crazy good at what they do.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Beautiful!!!!!! I have a Richard Hudson Trumpet and have been wanting to get one of his hen boxes.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”