Time for a new truck

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Time for a new truck

Post by Hoobilly »

Gil those are excellent vehicles. We have owned a RAV4 for years now. Needs a timing belt replaced but otherwise drives and rides good.

When we get around to it, that 4Runner is what my wife will be looking for
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Brice, I thought about a pick up truck, but I like having my bird dogs ride crated in an SUV rather than a dog box in a pick up and that's what drove my choice on the 4Runner. I'll still keep the Sequoia to keep miles off the 4Runner and it's nice to have a back up vehicle. I was surprised to learn that the 4Runner unlike the Tacoma, Tundra and Sequoia is made in Japan. Wife and I have been driving Toyota/Lexus for 23 years and the 4Runner may be the last vehicle I buy.
As for longevity, here's a Wall Street Journal article on the top 10 cars/trucks sold in 2017. Gil

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzela ... 549836a0a4
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I currently have an 06 Tacoma with 215,000 and an 06 Sequoia at 185,000. They were purchased with 39,000 and 145,000 in 08 and 18, respectively. I'd like to purchase a Tundra double or crew cab with around 100,000 miles on it soon and finally pass the Taco off so one of my boys can drive it until it's dead (or they wreck it). If I do, I'll add a topper to the tundra for the bird dog boxes and anything else that needs covered.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

My first Toyota truck was a 1997 T100 that I bought used in 1997 with 25,000 miles on it. A local contractor was daily commuting to a job site 50 miles each way and he needed a larger truck. Highway miles have 1/10 the wear and tear of city driving. We put 177,000 miles on it. It was a great truck. When son had it at college for 4 years, he dented bumper and hood allegedly mud bogging in a grass field, at least that's what he said. I took it back when he went to med school on the west coast and I drove it to work, keeping miles off the Sequoia. In 2009 when daughter started college, I was concerned about her driving the old 1997 Volvo wagon, a family hand me down from mom. In the cash for clunker program, I got $4700 for the T100 at the local Subaru dealer which was applied against a new Outback. The 1997 Volvo 960 wagon became my daily drive to work vehicle, keeping miles off the Sequoia for a few years. It got t-boned 2 years ago May in a wreck and was a total loss economically. The repairs far exceeded value. The rear door, driver's side wouldn't open and was dented in severely opening up spaces between frame and door. I stuffed black pipe insulation into the cracks and drove it another year to work until I retired. I handed the title over to a younger co-worker who uses it as a back up vehicle. Low mileage for a 22 year old car with 167,000. It is a sight to see. More than one neighbor was glad to see it go. Last year, son told me the real story of his "mud bogging" incident. He was at college drinking late at night and hit a telephone pole, knocking it down. He hauled ass. His roommate was home watching TV local news and saw a reporter standing next to the pole reporting a hit and run and neighborhood power loss.
Kids. Gil
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

hoobilly wrote: September 30th, 2019, 8:39 am Gil those are excellent vehicles. We have owned a RAV4 for years now. Needs a timing belt replaced but otherwise drives and rides good.

When we get around to it, that 4Runner is what my wife will be looking for
A friend finally sold a 1999 RAV4 with 238,000 miles on it. Then bought a new one, a 2018, a few months ago at a price within a grand of a used one on the same lot. Great car. My brother's 1997 LX470 is under hospice care, but still running with 340,000 miles. His mechanic finally told him what needed to be done to it and advised him it was time to pull the plug as the front end needed major work and parts replacement, radiator needed replacing and it was time for a timing belt change, etc. He's bought an LX570 which he feels is barely broke in at 125,000 miles. The 470 is back up. Gil

Return to “Gobbler Talk”