Time for a new truck

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
firedup

Re: Time for a new truck

Post by firedup »

PA, I almost bought one of those a couple years ago! Then realized you cant get a license on em to make street legal. Big Bummer! Cool little rigs! Now that Tundra...that's a bad ash looking truck. Not sure how many donuts I got left in me but it would be nice to know I COULD! I don't know about the Tundra TSS load your own thing tho….I am getting to the age that I kinda like the idea of someone loading it for me. Unless the wife volunteers...
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

firedup wrote: August 21st, 2019, 10:07 pm PA, I almost bought one of those a couple years ago! Then realized you cant get a license on em to make street legal. Big Bummer! Cool little rigs! Now that Tundra...that's a bad ash looking truck. Not sure how many donuts I got left in me but it would be nice to know I COULD! I don't know about the Tundra TSS load your own thing tho….I am getting to the age that I kinda like the idea of someone loading it for me. Unless the wife volunteers...
:LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

My first truck was a 1960 Willy's L6 226 1 ton truck. I was bad @$$. It had 4 shifters; 1.) 3 speed + reverse on the motor, 2.) Front end in & out, 3.) High range, lo range, & granny gear, 4.) overdrive. It had 36 possible forward gears and 12 reverse. It was like a giant spider that just crawled over stuff. A guy I knew wrecked his corvette, so we bought the body back from the insurance company and put the 327 small block in the Willy's. I had the bed cut off and built a flat bed with oak bed and fenders all painted black with the cab painted Ameron aircraft yellow. There were no seat belts, the wipers worked off a vacuum line from the engine, and it had a giant steering wheel. Ball & cup steering tie rods made it a careening death machine on the road. I have some pictures somewhere if I can find them. I never got it stuck & I won a bunch of money running mud holes against anyone willing on 4 wheel trails around the bottom of Jordan Lake when it was first being filled. Also pulled many folks out of the ditch or off muddy roads.

I traded it to a guy for a 20 gauge Citori, a Yellow Lab puppy, a Chevy corvette, $700 cash, and a bottle of whiskey that we killed to seal the deal. He totaled the truck less than 2 months later. I sold the citori, dog got killed by a car, girlfriend traded the Chevy on a pickup, and who knows what I did with the money. Life's fun when you're 22.

Jim
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

Image this with a black oak stake side & fenders.

4784998788_3d7201df20_b.jpg
firedup

Post by firedup »

I traded it to a guy for a 20 gauge Citori, a Yellow Lab puppy, a Chevy corvette, $700 cash, and a bottle of whiskey that we killed to seal the deal. He totaled the truck less than 2 months later. I sold the citori, dog got killed by a car, girlfriend traded the Chevy on a pickup, and who knows what I did with the money. Life's fun when you're 22.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah man!!!
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Here's another cool neighborhood truck. The front tag is Brazilian. Jeep is in really good shape for its age. During this era, the "J" was pronounced "Jay" and not "H" as in "heap" as it was when I owned a 1990 Grand Wagoneer which on one trip got gallons per mile as opposed to miles per gallon. Seriously. The "passing" "jet" on the carburetor was stuck open, dumping uncombusted gas into the cylinders and slipping past the rings into the crank case. Gil
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

hoobilly wrote: August 15th, 2019, 4:57 pm
GLS wrote: August 15th, 2019, 4:47 pm I saw this in my neighborhood while dog walking last week. Someone spent a pretty penny restoring it. It looked like it had just rolled off a dealership floor. It's a Land Rover Discovery pick-up probably made in the 1990s. Hope he put a Toyota drive train in it. It is Tacoma sized.
Those are beautiful
they certainly are!!!!!!
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

Since this thread is about getting a new truck, my Tacoma has 222,000 miles on it. Year before last Toyota recalled it and replaced the frame some leaf springs brake line ect. Would it be profitable to hang on to it and replace motors and transmission when it finally dies? Or just bite the bullet and get another? I’m planning some lengthy trips next year and don’t want to spend a week broke down.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

F5EEEE7F-90CB-46B1-A0F1-9456BCD0BCF4.jpeg
Attachments
2ECD693A-FC38-4D1A-A838-29E91BE5951F.jpeg
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

If you've been following scheduled maintenance, what makes you think it won't keep on keeping on? Great trucks with 300,000+ mileage expectancy especially if a lot of it was highway miles. Gil
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

GLS wrote: August 24th, 2019, 7:17 pm If you've been following scheduled maintenance, what makes you think it won't keep on keeping on? Great trucks with 300,000+ mileage expectancy especially if a lot of it was highway miles. Gil
All maintenance done on schedule. Paranoid I guess!!
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Turkinator wrote: August 24th, 2019, 4:08 pm Since this thread is about getting a new truck, my Tacoma has 222,000 miles on it. Year before last Toyota recalled it and replaced the frame some leaf springs brake line ect. Would it be profitable to hang on to it and replace motors and transmission when it finally dies? Or just bite the bullet and get another? I’m planning some lengthy trips next year and don’t want to spend a week broke down.
Rent a vehicle for trips. It adds to the cost, but making vehicle problems someone else's problem is a luxury worth the cost.
firedup

Post by firedup »

Thanks to all who input! This has developed into an interesting thread. It was always between the Tundra and Ford, even tho I looked at others. Biggest factors were the engine / drive train and the long term body issues. Winter and road additives are brutal on vehicles in my world. So I busted into the piggy bank and bought a 2017 F 150 XLT with all the towing goodies and enuff creature features to make the wife happy. Aluminum body so we shall see. Low miles, it was a personal lease vehicle that was special ordered with all the stuff I wanted. Found a pretty good deal and happy with the purchase. Next step....find that perfect camper!

Any suggestions on the camper????? All ears.....
hootn

Post by hootn »

I have a 2012 f150 with the 3.5. It pulls my camper great. Of course mileage sux pulling camper. Camper is 31 foot counting tounge and back bumper. 5100 lbs dry.
As far as camper I would look at the forest river grey wolf 23mk.

Scott
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

hootn wrote: September 7th, 2019, 4:26 pm I have a 2012 f150 with the 3.5. It pulls my camper great. Of course mileage sux pulling camper. Camper is 31 foot counting tounge and back bumper. 5100 lbs dry.
As far as camper I would look at the forest river grey wolf 23mk.

Scott
overall what do you feel is a better day to day truck??

F150 or a Tacoma?

hootn

Post by hootn »

well flip a coin...... only thing is the milage is a plus for the tacoma. but like the room in the ford.
hootn

Post by hootn »

comparing my last taco to the 150. i got about 19mpg in taco i get between 15 to 15.5 in ford
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Remember the Chevy truck ad that ridiculed Ford for the aluminum bodied Ford? Guess who is now using aluminum in their trucks but not the extent Ford has? As an aside, my buddy came upon on a vehicle that the local FD had tried to put out a fire. He thought it had flipped over and compressed the bed and cabin. Wrong. It was a new F150 that had completely melted, lock, stock and barrel. Well, even a surviving steel vehicle after a fire wouldn't be worth much other than for identity purposes...
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

hootn wrote: September 7th, 2019, 9:11 pm comparing my last taco to the 150. i got about 19mpg in taco i get between 15 to 15.5 in ford
I would miss the mpgs.

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

GLS wrote: September 8th, 2019, 9:31 am Remember the Chevy truck ad that ridiculed Ford for the aluminum bodied Ford? Guess who is now using aluminum in their trucks but not the extent Ford has? As an aside, my buddy came upon on a vehicle that the local FD had tried to put out a fire. He thought it had flipped over and compressed the bed and cabin. Wrong. It was a new F150 that had completely melted, lock, stock and barrel. Well, even a surviving steel vehicle after a fire wouldn't be worth much other than for identity purposes...
Aluminum is worth more than steel 😆

firedup

Post by firedup »

If I was buying a daily driver I would go with a 4 door Tacoma. That is not worrying about towing and stuff. I have an older 2003 Tacoma and its mileage sucks but it is a solid truck for running around, taking to the woods and just every day use. Just beating around town I usually jump in it. Mileage may be alittle better now. Having said that, quite a few folks I know love the room and comfort of the f150 with the 2.7 eco and get pretty good mpg. I think if you take care of them both are 150K-200K vehicles these days.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Well, all of this talk about getting new trucks and my wife telling me I need to get a new one got me looking and I settled on this 4Runner. Built on a truck frame (not the Tacoma or Tundra), but I've seen referred to as a Tacoma Wagon. 2016, 30,000 miles, bought at the dealership, serviced every 5000 miles at the dealership, and traded in at the same dealership. I had tried to buy a 2013 from a private seller, but it had too many snags--titled in Maryland, financed by Capital One (good luck in dealing with a human rather than a computer and having them send me the title), 40,000 mile odometer discrepancy, and 90,000 miles on it. Carfax said 123,000, but after talking to the service manager he believed the tech put someone else's mileage in the computer. It was correctable, but it was too many issues hanging. I paid a lot more for the 2016, but I'll sleep a little better. I still have the 2003 Sequoia with 224,000 miles and according to my mechanic, no reason he could tell that would prevent it from 300,000+.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Good looking vehicle. A friend of mine in Kentucky has one and loves it, I'm petty sure his is a 2016 as well. Its our turkey hunting rig when I go up there. Good riding vehicle too!
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
firedup

Post by firedup »

Nice looking rig! Love the rims and tires, it really pops out at ya. Hardly even broken in with that mileage. :thumbup:
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Good looking vehicle!

Return to “Gobbler Talk”