I Give Up!!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

I Give Up!!

Post by soiltester »

Plant my food plot every year and this year only 1 hen showed up and left after nesting and didn't have any youngin's that I saw.
Didn't see much in the cam's for predators during that time, but do see the least yet, than I have now in a long time :thumbup:
Good thing I got a pretty good catch of ladino clover as I may take this year off from planting anything!!

Then this crap moved n :stir:

goose invasion.JPG
goose invasion 2.JPG
deer Feeding.JPG
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: I Give Up!!

Post by Hoobilly »

I zoomed in on the pictures looking for legbands..

Didn’t see any worth shooting
😆
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

hoobilly wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 10:44 am I zoomed in on the pictures looking for legbands..

😆
Me 2
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

hoobilly wrote:I zoomed in on the pictures looking for legbands..

[emoji38]

Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

22-250 or .243 does wonders on those sky carp
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Flying liver!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 10:48 am
hoobilly wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 10:44 am I zoomed in on the pictures looking for legbands..

😆
Me 2
I was all in, looking for bling !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

The Canada geese at the horse farm pull grass up by the roots and destroy the pastures, which drives the farm owner over the edge. I got clearance from NC Wildlife to shoot geese off the big horse farm pond outside of the regular hunting season, which I do from time to time. The resident geese taste horrible, so I asked the wildlife biologist what can be done not to waste them. He suggested using them as bait in crab traps.... It turns out they are good for something.

Jim
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Cut N Run wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 7:24 pm The Canada geese at the horse farm pull grass up by the roots and destroy the pastures, which drives the farm owner over the edge. I got clearance from NC Wildlife to shoot geese off the big horse farm pond outside of the regular hunting season, which I do from time to time. The resident geese taste horrible, so I asked the wildlife biologist what can be done not to waste them. He suggested using them as bait in crab traps.... It turns out they are good for something.

Jim
Smoked goose summer sausage, is what the guys in MI make and luckily I don't get in on that any more :thumbup:
Use to be 300# + each year and I had to run the smoker all day after a morning goose hunt :shock:
Got awful wet out :occasion5: :occasion5:
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

And I forget's to say also:
Sliced goose breast & jalapeno's wrapped in bacon and grilled .. MMMMMMMM :thumbup:
My buddies recipe of gizzards & hearts & noodles :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :thumbup:
and don't ferget the goose gumbo :stir: :stir: :thumbup: :thumbup:

and many more varied recipe's :thumbup:
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I can't imagine the amount of pesticides some of these geese contain after grazing on golf courses that spray for mole crickets, etc. I remember when it was rare to see a goose of any description when I duck hunted. I saw a gaggle of them walking through a WalMart parking lot the other day. I think they were casing parked cars.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

My Grandma had a great recipe for goose. You prepare the goose for baking by rubbing oil on the skin and seasoning inside and out. Put desired stuffing in the breast cavity. Preheat the oven to 325. You then put the bird in an oversized roaster pan. Once the bird is in place (on its back), and this is critical, place a 3-4 pound rock between the drumsticks on the bird.
Cook covered for 2 1/2 hrs. After 2 hrs., remove cover and continue to bake until browned.
When it is beautifully browned, remove the goose from the roaster.
THEN... Throw the goose in the garbage and eat the rock!!
True story! No guff!!! :P
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I have eaten a lot of roasted Canada goose, plucked not skinned and stuffed and slow roasted. My mother was an outstanding cook and she roasted great ducks too. She always said you have to completely remove the tails so none of the oil from the oil glands in the tail (she called it the popes nose) gets into the juice it is roasting in and give the meat a horrible taste, oh well carry on boys, I do like roasted waterfowl better than these disgusting tasting tough wild turkeys we have.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

GLS wrote: August 4th, 2019, 2:20 pm I can't imagine the amount of pesticides some of these geese contain after grazing on golf courses that spray for mole crickets, etc. I remember when it was rare to see a goose of any description when I duck hunted. I saw a gaggle of them walking through a WalMart parking lot the other day. I think they were casing parked cars.
:LMAO:
Ya' ought to clean 1 in yer' basement from the early Sept 1 season in MI after all it ate was turds from the lagoons on the cities sewer systems all summer, even though they were feeding in wheat stubbles …. SSSSTTTTTNNINNKKKKKKK :LMAO:
Neber' did dat' again :stir:

Now, do you want to talk about the treated soybeans the turkeys have in their crops after a soybean field is planted in the spring??? :stir: :LMAO:
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Hognutz wrote: August 4th, 2019, 2:25 pm My Grandma had a great recipe for goose. You prepare the goose for baking by rubbing oil on the skin and seasoning inside and out. Put desired stuffing in the breast cavity. Preheat the oven to 325. You then put the bird in an oversized roaster pan. Once the bird is in place (on its back), and this is critical, place a 3-4 pound rock between the drumsticks on the bird.
Cook covered for 2 1/2 hrs. After 2 hrs., remove cover and continue to bake until browned.
When it is beautifully browned, remove the goose from the roaster.
THEN... Throw the goose in the garbage and eat the rock!!
True story! No guff!!! :P
Now ya' sound like my dad use to say… clean it and and then throw all of it in the trash can :LMAO:
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Grumpy wrote: August 4th, 2019, 2:49 pm I have eaten a lot of roasted Canada goose, plucked not skinned and stuffed and slow roasted. My mother was an outstanding cook and she roasted great ducks too. She always said you have to completely remove the tails so none of the oil from the oil glands in the tail (she called it the popes nose) gets into the juice it is roasting in and give the meat a horrible taste, oh well carry on boys, I do like roasted waterfowl better than these disgusting tasting tough wild turkeys we have.
Never roast a duck or goose till' ya' can pluck it and it's fatter than heck later in in the season in MI.... MMMMMMMMMMMMMM :thumbup: :cheers:
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

So right, these big red legged Canadian mallards that migrate down and winter here on our creeks and rivers ( any moving open water) are a good eating bird, they fly to wheat stubble and even land in the outskirts of towns on railroad tracks where they spill grain while loading grain trains. Nothing better than a grain eating Mallard off clear clean water.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

The Canada geese I used to kill in Colorado were grain fed in those giant corn & sunflower fields in the eastern part of the state & they tasted great. I used to roast them stuffed with sliced apples, oranges, & a little onion. Excellent eating! The ones around here eat snails, grasses from the muck, and pasture grasses, nowhere near as good to eat. They're not as disgusting as eating a merganser, but they're just not very good.

Jim
crow

Post by crow »

Used to shoot a lot of migratory geese on Md. eastern shore and for the most part they were very good to eat, about 1 out of 10 would have a liver texture and taste to it.

We usually skinned them, sliced the breast meat very thin with a fillet knife and fried it like a minute steak with melted cheese and fried onions.
They made a good sandwich, except for the 1 in 10 liver specimen.

the legs and thighs got pressured cooked then put on the grill with BBQ sauce, or would make a gumbo with it. The migratories were good eating.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”