Foot problems

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
BoxCall@68

Foot problems

Post by BoxCall@68 »

Here is a new one.took my usual walk Sunday morning,trying to get my wind built up from copd.well woke up Monday morning right big toe sore as a boil and foot swolled up.finally went to foot doc this morning.called it gout.never had this before.son said he fights this sometimes.it sure knocks the wind from the sails till it clears up.guess I'm getting old.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Foot problems

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

BoxCall@68 wrote: July 30th, 2019, 4:05 pm Here is a new one.took my usual walk Sunday morning,trying to get my wind built up from copd.well woke up Monday morning right big toe sore as a boil and foot swolled up.finally went to foot doc this morning.called it gout.never had this before.son said he fights this sometimes.it sure knocks the wind from the sails till it clears up.guess I'm getting old.
I'm close with Timb on here it's kicked his azz twice. Said it's horrible
BoxCall@68

Post by BoxCall@68 »

I wondered if iron skillet biscuits and sausage gravy and Pabst blue ribbon would mess your foot up.if that's so,I'll suffer with a bad foot.lol.
WAGinVA

Post by WAGinVA »

Get some dried tart cherries and eat a handful in the morning and the evening at the first sign of inflammation. I have had gout attacks off and on for ten years. As soon as I feel something in my foot that feels like the start of a stone bruise I hit the cherries hard and it usually will prevent a full blown attack.
BoxCall@68

Post by BoxCall@68 »

I figure since 1974 when I got a medical honorable discharge from the air force for two separated ,Achilles,tendons and broken left foot bones,years might have healed these issues.permanent gimp,but this gout is,a new battle.yep still moving on.look out fall turkeys.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

My dad had gout, and 3 of us 4 brothers have had gout, and in my situation, I know it's inherited :banghead:
Don't know how many bouts I had and finally, way back when, went on a pill a day and never looked back as it isn't and hasn't been a problem since :thumbup:
I'd have had a uric acid test with good #'s and then a few days later had it flair up :banghead:

Good luck and hope it's just a mild something going on doesn't persist!! :cheers:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

Avoid foods high in uric acid and never let your urine's color get darker than a light straw color. Drink large quantities of water.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

I got it for the first time when I was around 60. Extremely painful!!! Pickled herring got me!
Allpurinol is your friend.
You know it’s gout when the weight of the bedsheet sends you through the roof!
Good luck!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

hope it never happens to me! freaking in grown toe nail is killing me right now.
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Allipurinol is about $8 for a 30 day supply well worth it too, I used to get it in the big toe then went to ankle and then to knee, take the allipurinol about once or twice a week and haven't had it in 15 yrs. now.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Grumpy wrote: July 30th, 2019, 11:25 pm Allipurinol is about $8 for a 30 day supply well worth it too, I used to get it in the big toe then went to ankle and then to knee, take the allipurinol about once or twice a week and haven't had it in 15 yrs. now.
Yer' lucky Grump .. it's 1 a day fer' me and seems like it's been forever .. but well worth it!! 90 tabs fer' jest' ober' $16
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

Used to work for a guy with it. Seems like anytime he ate seafood it would blow up on him. I hope to never experience it. Hope it heals up quick.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I used to take 1 a day too but after about 5 yrs. without any gout I cut way back on the pills, just not a pill guy here unless 100% needed. Pork sets some people off and my FIL got his from a good beer drunk, I know it is painfull as hell and for me it came on in an hour or less, I believe the dr. told me it was needle sharp urea crystal that build up in ones joints, whatever the hell it is, for less pain, I would rather sit on the concrete garage floor and hit my nuts with a rubber mallet
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I had the same thing happen last week. Went to bed just fine and woke up with a painful left big toe. I had a few tall PBR's the night before too. Thanks for the info. Never had anything like this before and it kinda freaked me out.

Jim
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Beer is definitely a factor with gout. The guys that had it at work were all beer drinkers to the extreme. if your uric acid level is borderline, a few beers may be all that it takes to put you over the top. A few beers and some red meat and your all set!
Good luck to you, Jim!
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Sal got it we were nc. She could barely walk from our rental to ocean "told he can't be that bad suck it up and walk it off" that went over great
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Yer lucky she didn’t plant her good toe right up your butt!! :P
BoxCall@68

Post by BoxCall@68 »

Well august 7th,the foot swelling has came down and doesn't look like a red party balloon.big toe is still little ouchy.am able to slip into crocs and do some shots with my bow in the back yard.this gout has been a hard row to how.I slacked off blue ribbon,and I'm sure there on the verge of bankruptcy cause of it.wouldn't wish this mess on anybody.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Are you taking steroids, Prednisone, to help get rid of it?
BoxCall@68

Post by BoxCall@68 »

Not went to foot doc yet.big hassle with Medicare.waiting for approval.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Drink cherry juice. Supposed to help.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Yep,Byle said it all,it is a bitch,told the doctor only a case a week,she said she new better!
I said it sounded better than 3 lmfao!
turkeybuster

Post by turkeybuster »

After a few bouts of gout all those little crystals make a Little Rock.this rock leaves the kidney
,,,,that is where the real fun begins....been there ....you gonna need more than beer.
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

My regular Doctor couldn't see me for 9 days, so I went to the Doc in the Box less than a mile from my regular doctor's office. They prescribed Indomethacin, which made the pain & swelling vanish in a few days. The full course of meds runs two weeks, but I can barely tell I had trouble in the 4 days I've been on this medicine.

Jim
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Cut N Run wrote: August 7th, 2019, 9:10 pm My regular Doctor couldn't see me for 9 days, so I went to the Doc in the Box less than a mile from my regular doctor's office. They prescribed Indomethacin, which made the pain & swelling vanish in a few days. The full course of meds runs two weeks, but I can barely tell I had trouble in the 4 days I've been on this medicine.

Jim
I use to hobble in and walk out of Doc's office.
He would give a shot of something right into the area and in a minute.. all was well :shock:

Return to “Gobbler Talk”