Are Russell moccasins really worth the money???

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HoltBensley

Post by HoltBensley »

I have been looking to order a pair of russel moccasins before next turkey but the price has me second guessing myself I need your Guys help!
crenshawco

Re: Are Russell moccasins really worth the money???

Post by crenshawco »

Chippewa
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Yes, they are.
Ultimate Predator
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I wore Keen hiking shoes all season..
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I like mine. For some folks, off the rack boots may fit one foot but not the other. My left foot is slightly smaller than the right which I would have not known until they were measured. Gil
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I used to wear teepee creepers all the time in the summer but for me it hurt to wear solid "good" shoes or boots when I changed over, the moccasins have no support and will screw ya up if ya wear them all the time, why do you think the natives stole horses all the time.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

White Eyes,
Russell Moccasin's are different from the roadside stand moccasins sold with beads on them. A variety of leathers, upper heights, tread styles are hard soled on the bottoms; arch and ankle support are fine. Gil
Last edited by GLS on June 27th, 2019, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
Shiloh

Post by Shiloh »

The video at the link helped me understand why they cost so much.
HartClemson99

Post by HartClemson99 »

Yes they are worth it.

You can buy 1 pair of Russell’s and they will last 40+ years and if they are damaged they can be repaired or resoled. On the other hand, you can buy 10-20 pairs of boots during the same period that can’t be fixed, repaired or (maybe) resoled. Do the math.

If you get a tear in the leather in your store bought boots what will you do? Will they replace the Cordura on the side if you rub them wrong with a sharp rock? No, they are done.

My first pair of Russell’s were bought in 2000. They are their Zephyr II model for casual wear which mean I wear them daily. They are being sent in this summer for their 3rd sole. I have had 2 pairs of snake boots and they are incredible. I would recommend them to anyone who cares about their feet and spends more than a few weekends in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WV Ridge Reaper
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by WV Ridge Reaper »

I had a pair and got rid of mine,The only thing I really seemed to notice was I could walk like a Mohican.

If money is the only thing holding you up I’d buy em,like hart said I’m sure they will last forever etc,I just felt more comfortable in under armour tennis shoes and some lacross grange on wet days..the snake protection is a plus I reckon if your into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

I don't own a pair that I turkey hunt with. I have a pair of Moccassins and chukkas for everyday wear. They are incredibly comfortable shoes
hookspur

Post by hookspur »

I owned a pair many years ago. Certainly excellent boots with a great fit, but I'm awfully hard on footwear; I walked the soles plumb off of them much sooner than I would've expected. Rather than send them back in for resoling, I just wore them as true moccasins for several more years. Are they worth the money? Probably so for most people. But, I prefer to wear short, lightweight hiking boots, so I have multiple pairs which can be rotated to allow me to start each day with a fresh set while the wet ones dry out. I can't afford a half dozen or more Russell's!
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

I had a pair given to me that were barely used,,,,seriously. long story on the way,,,but I liked them

4 years later I ordered a pair,,,I should get them in August

if they are even close to the pair that were given to me, then I will be happy

but I also use boots for purposes,,,I even found a (close to) original version of the army jungle boot made by mcrae,,,love them for most days here in NC as they are stout,,dry fast (cause waterproof ain't) and light weight,,,

I have boots I were in the mountains (currently running meindles)

anyhow - they make a good boot - but boots are like a lot of clothing items,,,very dependent on how they fit YOU
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

I have yet to find a source of jungle boots that survive a turkey season. I bought the Altama (SP) and they didn't last. I had an old pair of GI issue that were the best. Gil
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

GLS wrote: June 30th, 2019, 1:30 pm I have yet to find a source of jungle boots that survive a turkey season. I bought the Altama (SP) and they didn't last. I had an old pair of GI issue that were the best. Gil
I'm with you on that - even the "new" miltary versions they had after 1991 or so were trash

I found these https://www.mcraefootwear.com/product/v ... -boot/7189 and so far so good,,,,but only have a few months on them - next year this time will tell the tale
jsh909
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by jsh909 »

:pukeright:
hoobilly wrote: June 26th, 2019, 10:53 pm I wore Keen hiking shoes all season..
Keens or Itasca for spring hunting is where my money goes as well. Light weight, breath well, and most importantly very comfortable. Most of our shop uses keen hikers for work boots, they are the cats pajamas for walking on concrete and hold up great. Had I not found the Itasca set that I use now I would still be wearing keens for spring hunting. The Itasca are feather light and comfortable, time will tell if they hold up.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

jsh909 wrote: June 30th, 2019, 2:16 pm :pukeright:
Keens or Itasca for spring hunting is where my money goes as well. Light weight, breath well, and most importantly very comfortable. Most of our shop uses keen hikers for work boots, they are the cats pajamas for walking on concrete and hold up great. Had I not found the Itasca set that I use now I would still be wearing keens for spring hunting. The Itasca are feather light and comfortable, time will tell if they hold up.
I like keen my church slip on boot. I'm a huge danner snakeboot fan have pronghorns that are ancient love um and jackal 2. My Everyday hunting boot when not in snake country or mud Merrill chameleon no tying best boot I've ever found. I have 2 pair
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 30th, 2019, 2:47 pm
jsh909 wrote: June 30th, 2019, 2:16 pm :pukeright:
I like keen my church slip on boot. I'm a huge danner snakeboot fan have pronghorns that are ancient love um and jackal 2. My Everyday hunting boot when not in snake country or mud Merrill chameleon no tying best boot I've ever found. I have 2 pair
I swear this is no lie.. Merrills last me about 6 months. These Keens about a year and the rear rubber on the side is now flapping. I like the Keens better. Haven't tried the Chameleons tho..
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

This remind me of the ripple sole jungle boots I used hunting FL. They had the drains on the side to let the water out. Wading creeks and rivers meant no such thing as waterproof. Worked good in Lowcountry SC too. I don't think I wore them out before I decided I had better places to hunt.

No comment on quality of any of the above as all are heavier than I'll wear for more than a couple hours of a morning.
Moper23

Post by Moper23 »

I have a pair of their Chukka hikers. I have had them for about 3 years. they are the only pair of shoes/boots that I own that I actually hate to pull off. They are just too comfortable. You might want to try and look into places like https://perfectshoesforyou.com/best-wor ... flat-feet/ and see if you will find anything that you like. When shopping for shoes, you want to have more than fashion in mind. You'll also want to consider function and keeping your feet in good shape, obviously.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

What ever you decide to do, don't be skimping on decent footwear, you will pay for that stunt many times over when you get some miles on ya. Buy good quality and good socks make a world of difference or stay drunker than three injuns and it won't make a tinkers damn what your wear for shoes. :lol:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”