Smoker recommendations

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
-DIRTNAP-

Smoker recommendations

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

In the market for a smoker for these turkey breast. Anyone have any recommendations or tips what to look for? Thinking on a masterbuilt electric smoker
huntinsomd

Re: Smoker recommendations

Post by huntinsomd »

Pellet smokers are awesome! I bought a Camp chef last summer and have used it a bunch.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

IMHO stick burner> charcoal> kamado> pellet pooper >propane> electric

Ivecooked on everything. But if chose for ease propane over electric all day especially if you plan on other things. It's all about combustion. You cannot beat a clean running stick burner, but alot of tending, but food is amazing.

If your handy research ugly drum smoker or uds they get rave reviews

I mainly use kamados now as set and forget but I'd still rather use stick burner
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Some version of an electric water smoker is best. The trick is that you never actually burn anything making particulate to land on your meat making it bitter. Shame they quit making the old Brinkmann. You can make one pretty easily, though.

If you have good exhaust on your kitchen you can just do something that small in the oven with a foil pack of chips on the burner. Don't tell my wife I do this.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Another option I'm sure you have a grill charcoal or gas will work. Gas light a burner on low-med foil pack one hole in top. Meat opposite side

Kettle or barrel grill small amount of charcoal opposite meat same foil packet. I've made some amazing bbq this way

Few tips

Brine
Simple 1 cup kosher, 1 cup sugar gallon of water for 6-8 hrs rinse to ensure moisture in meat

Have some form a meat thermometer 165 done

Fruitsoods work great with poultry apple, peach or cherry but cherry makes everything darker
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I've been looking at the PIT BOSS brand and sure like the features on them, but we will see when the time comes
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

Is electric not a good idea?
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I'm going with electric, I figure would be easier to maintain a fixed temperature and I would never want to take it somewhere where there is no electricity so it would be electric for me
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

-DIRTNAP- wrote: June 1st, 2019, 7:33 pm Is electric not a good idea?
I'm gonna take heat, if you plan on going an doing more then fish or jerky, wanna do butts, briskets, ribs lean away from electric. I've watched a million hours of bbq shows never seen them using electric, work great as a faux cambro however

Seriously not fan of electric
-DIRTNAP-

Post by -DIRTNAP- »

Appreciate the help
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 1st, 2019, 9:14 pm I'm gonna take heat, if you plan on going an doing more then fish or jerky, wanna do butts, briskets, ribs lean away from electric. I've watched a million hours of bbq shows never seen them using electric, work great as a faux cambro however

ICDED, not from anyone who truly loves the bbq process you won't. Might as well bake in the oven rather than electric, lol, but seriously.

I have a kamado (Vision Pro S) and it does an amazing job on smoking as well as grilling. However, it's not a volume cooker. It's fine for cooking for my family of 4. Also, I highly recommend a BBQ Guru DigiQ as an accessory. It makes for a very consistent cook when smoking.

For barrels, look no farther than the Pit Barrel cooker. I'll likely buy one soon myself. The reviews on it say all you need to know. Best value of all at 299 tyd, IMO.

Pellet grills are a good choice too with plenty of models to choose from.

Stick burners are the way to go for cooking volume. I'd love to buy a Lang 84 or Jambo but both are out of my price range. You can get a smaller, decent stick burner cheaper than those but, for me, if I got a stick burner it would be a big one.
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Electric is a lot easier. You can literally put a butt on at bed time and forget it 'til you take it off for lunch. You do need some source of higher heat if you want to cook your sauce on. I have an electric grill that'll do it, but it's not the same thing as my electric smoker.

I use charcoal and wood when camping. It's more work, but I enjoy hanging out around the campsite and tending the BBQ. Just gotta be careful not to get too hot and get creosote on the meat from that white smoke.
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

Iceded,i have electric masterbuit that is dead on bullet proof and so
easy to use,start walk away,no babying.every thing ive done in it has been awesome
chicken,chuck roast,whole racks of beef short ribs,pork ribs,butts,mac and cheese,meat loaf,
whole turkeys,in fact I have a huge 12.50 pork butt going right now.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

I have 3 MES smokers. A 40 inch propane,a 30 inch electric and a 40 electric.The 40 propane and 30 electric are for sale if you find yourself in SE Mi. give me a holler.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
BeardBuster

Post by BeardBuster »

I had a Masterbuilt electric smoker for a couple of years and finally got rid of it. I could never get a good “bark” on my pork butts and it just didn’t make good pulled pork.
My next smoker was a custom built stick burner. It produces amazing BBQ - pork butts, brisket, ribs. Does well with turkey breast also. The only drawback of a stick burner is that you need to slow down and be there to tend the fire. It’s an all day affair.
Recently, I purchased a Traeger pellet grill. The ease of using this grill often trumps everything else. Literally it’s a set and forget piece of equipment. It does produce good make flavor but not like the stick burner.
Lastly, I’ll say this...I also have a good gas grill and for day to day grilling I use it a lot more than my smokers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Jbird22 wrote: June 1st, 2019, 11:48 pm
ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 1st, 2019, 9:14 pm I'm gonna take heat, if you plan on going an doing more then fish or jerky, wanna do butts, briskets, ribs lean away from electric. I've watched a million hours of bbq shows never seen them using electric, work great as a faux cambro however

ICDED, not from anyone who truly loves the bbq process you won't. Might as well bake in the oven rather than electric, lol, but seriously.

I have a kamado (Vision Pro S) and it does an amazing job on smoking as well as grilling. However, it's not a volume cooker. It's fine for cooking for my family of 4. Also, I highly recommend a BBQ Guru DigiQ as an accessory. It makes for a very consistent cook when smoking.

For barrels, look no farther than the Pit Barrel cooker. I'll likely buy one soon myself. The reviews on it say all you need to know. Best value of all at 299 tyd, IMO.

Pellet grills are a good choice too with plenty of models to choose from.

Stick burners are the way to go for cooking volume. I'd love to buy a Lang 84 or Jambo but both are out of my price range. You can get a smaller, decent stick burner cheaper than those but, for me, if I got a stick burner it would be a big one.
I remember reading about pi barrel on amazing ribs it's a uds may be an option as I too un handy make one.

I'm with you on Lang and other stick burners can't afford a cooker for 3k I can only use 6 months or want to use.

I've been looking at 300 ish offset tower smokers. Eliminates heat distribution problems seen in cheap offsets. I miss flipping sticks.
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Just Google and YouTube Grilla grill. I have the Silverback, cant beat it. Compare it to anything, you won't be disappointed !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

For the money I really like the chargriller acorn
El Sicario
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

appalachianassassin wrote: June 3rd, 2019, 7:44 pm For the money I really like the chargriller acorn
I got one when they first came out. Did a few mods love it then I got Jr akorn.

Sal and I use Jr more when we cook for us two

Return to “Gobbler Talk”