Road trip

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Road trip

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

On the road to Billings today.

We've not had much in the way of blue skies lately, so it's a welcome site.

Antelope Doe. They should be dropping fawns.

From a Billings brewery.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Road trip

Post by Hoobilly »

has been a really long time for me to be out west and see them blue skies.

Love working in Montana. Missoula stank tho because of the paper mill. but the country was beautiful
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Missoula still stinks, nothing but homeless potheads with liberal attitudes, lots of crime and the paper mill still stinks too.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

I used to smell the paper mill in Wickliffe, KY. I don't recall smelling that in Missoula. I'll be there on Thursday. I'll have to see if I notice it.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: May 29th, 2019, 12:56 am I used to smell the paper mill in Wickliffe, KY. I don't recall smelling that in Missoula. I'll be there on Thursday. I'll have to see if I notice it.
once you've smelled a paper mill, no matter where you go you'll know exactly what it is when you smell it

Clyde NC theres a paper milll shoooo weeee

BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

hoobilly wrote: May 28th, 2019, 10:28 pm has been a really long time for me to be out west and see them blue skies.

Love working in Montana. Missoula stank tho because of the paper mill. but the country was beautiful
Smells like money 😂
gaswamp

Post by gaswamp »

beautiful country Hobbes...thanks for sharing
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Smells like money was the excuse for a local paper mill which poisoned air and water. With our lungs and water quality, locals subsidized the rest of the country with a cheap paper bag for decades. They finally cleaned up their act, but cheap labor, unlimited supply of water and tax breaks couldn't stem the tide of cheaper Kraft paper being made in South America and then plastic bags became the favorite of grocers. It always smelled like crap to me. Nice road trip, btw.
Hobbes_mobile
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hobbes_mobile »

hoobilly wrote: May 29th, 2019, 11:10 pm
Hobbes_mobile wrote: May 29th, 2019, 12:56 am I used to smell the paper mill in Wickliffe, KY. I don't recall smelling that in Missoula. I'll be there on Thursday. I'll have to see if I notice it.
once you've smelled a paper mill, no matter where you go you'll know exactly what it is when you smell it

Years ago I tested concrete on occasion at the paper mill in Wickliffe. I had folks tell me that you couldn't smell it at the plant. They'd apparently gotten used to it because I could smell it. One of the few places that the inside of a porta potty was a relief from the stench outside.
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I think the paper mill actually was in French Town and I believe it is closed now due to the tree hugging bunny turd sniffers that would just as soon watch the timber burn than to let some company harvest it.
But it did stink just like the one in Minneapolis close to the Hamms Brewery, I imagine they all smell the same.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

The airborne particulate matter was so bad from the stacks that a car washing system was set up at the plant's exit to wash employees 'cars as they left the plant. Despite the car wash, the cars' and trucks' bodies eventually rusted from the chemicals. Sometimes fog-like clouds hung the ground around the plant. The rotten egg smell was a sulfur compound and sulfur and atmospheric water combine to make acid. When I was in high school, my friends and I would get a free car wash by driving through. Back in the late 70's when returning from Montana after a week long fishing trip, once we got within 15 miles from the airport at altitude, we could smell the mill. Gil
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

First time I ever went to Georgetown, SC the smell put me off feed until the trip was over. The car dealership there parks their inventory under sheds to protect them. I asked a local how they stood it. He said it just smelled like money to him. I was there for work, but it never smelled like money to me. I eventually got used to it enough to not be nauseous every visit.

Most places it seems they put them downwind of populated areas, but the wind does vary sometimes. I can smell one 30 miles from here when the wind blows the wrong way.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Hobbes_mobile wrote: May 30th, 2019, 1:34 pm
hoobilly wrote: May 29th, 2019, 11:10 pm

Years ago I tested concrete on occasion at the paper mill in Wickliffe. I had folks tell me that you couldn't smell it at the plant. They'd apparently gotten used to it because I could smell it. One of the few places that the inside of a porta potty was a relief from the stench outside.
That’s pretty bad when you have to stir the :stir: to get fresh air 😂

Return to “Gobbler Talk”