Day 28, 05/19 of the 2019 Ohio Spring Turkey Season.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 28, 05/19 of the 2019 Ohio Spring Turkey Season.

Post by HunterGKS »

It was 68 with a bright full moon, only a couple of stars, & a fair breeze at 05:38 A.M.
The song birds were in full voice but the crows, owls, & geese were pretty much quiet.
The woodpeckers seem to have on sabbatical the last 2 mornings with nary a rat-a-tat-tat
from them.

At 06:32, I heard 2 gobbles from the NW. I called a little & he double gobbled back but
that was it. Nothing more was heard from him all morning.

At 09:25, I looked to my left & saw something in the shadows at the edge of the woods,
about 200 yards away, that didn’t look right. I wondered if it was a fan but, when I put
the binos on it, it turned out to be a doe standing at an angle. She walked along the edge
followed by another & another & another until there were at least 8 deer walking along
the edge. At least 3 were bucks &, based on the size of their bases, they should have
some pretty good headgear this fall.

At 09:30, a hen snuck in from the west. She fed around until 09:43 when she fed east.
She never came in to socialize with the dekes & pretty much ignored them.

The wind had been gusting all morning & was getting pretty strong as well as clouding up.
It was starting to sprinkle when I decided to call it a day. When I pulled the last peg, a
gust of wind caught it & the blind & I almost made our maiden voyage together as we
tried to imitate Mary freaking Poppins!! It was 78 when I left at11:45.

Sadly, another season is in the books. I’m not sure what is going on but in the past 1 ½ years,
I have only killed 1 bird while, in the previous 10, I have averaged 4 per year. Where I used to
hear between 4-10 birds a day, I am lucky to hear 2 & even luckier to see them. Things have
to change.

These are the pics of the moon this morning. I have never been able to get good pics of the
moon for whatever reason.
01.JPG
02.JPG
These pics are of the hen that visited. You can see my trail cam on the tree to the right.
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG
07.JPG
08.JPG
09.JPG
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 28, 05/19 of the 2019 Ohio Spring Turkey Season.

Post by soiltester »

Holly Cow George .. you better plant some 4 leaf clovers where you're going to seed where the building was.
At least you heard gobblin' and then saw toms anway, but non-cooperating toms are flustrating for sure!!

This is the 1st year I could hear gobblin' again, but only on MI so far. Tue. I'm headed to Mexico and one hearin' aid just conked out so it will be a challenge!!

Hopefully those hens will lay & hatch out good broods this spring for you :thumbup:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 28, 05/19 of the 2019 Ohio Spring Turkey Season.

Post by Grumpy »

Just a thought, nobody has been doing any raccoon trapping too serious the last 3 yrs. due to prices for raccoon fur is so low it isn't worth doing and along with the coon trapping a fair amount of possums always get caught in the coon traps and possums and coons are probably the hardest animals on turkey eggs. That would be my guess why populations in some areas are way below average.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”