Day 25, 05/16 of the 2019 Ohio Spring Turkey Season.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Day 25, 05/16 of the 2019 Ohio Spring Turkey Season.

Post by HunterGKS »

It was 52, with clear skies, moonless, & still at 05:40 A.M. The song birds were out in force again.
On owl hooted once close to me when I 1st got there but no more. I put out 2 hens & a jake again.
At 06:30, I thought I heard a gobble way off to the NW. I thought I heard it a couple more times
but it was too faint to be 100% sure. If it was a bird, it was in the woods across the road & probably
1/2 mile or so from me.

At 07:15, a squirrel showed up & left just that quickly &, at 08:05, another showed up & spent a
couple of minutes entertaining me.

I called every 20-30 minutes with no response. At 09:30, I was starting to get stiff & decided to walk
to the edge of the woods for a look see. As I exited the blind, I saw rings in the water of the swamp
& spotted a woodie drake on a log. It took off before I could get the camera. I walked out, saw nothing
& decided to pull my ground blind. I took it & my turkey lounger back to the 4-wheeler & checked the
north side of the woods. Again, Nada.

The highlight of the morning was watching a robin search for its breakfast right in front of me. It was
throwing leaves left & right looking for grubs or worms or whatever.

By 11:45, my back was starting to yell at me &, you can only stand the excitement of watching a robin
for so long, I called it a day. I pulled my small blind from the other woods before leaving with beautiful
skies, a breeze, &a temp of 74.

Tomorrow, the temps will be in the mid-60s but with t-storms early & cloudy the rest of the day with
possible t-storms at noon & rain all evening. I’ll probably go out again but who knows.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Day 25, 05/16 of the 2019 Ohio Spring Turkey Season.

Post by Grumpy »

I got to hand it to ya, you sure don't give up easy.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”