Oklahoma's new game management plan??

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Post Reply
RussM311
Posts: 11
Joined: February 5th, 2016, 5:22 pm

Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by RussM311 » April 10th, 2019, 10:36 pm

Question for you:

What is the deal with Oklahoma going to a one bird per county limit over the entire eastern half of the state? Is this a new management plan, or a reaction to poor management plan in recent years? We all knew about the issues in the far southeastern corner of the state... coming out of the drought and all.... but making the majority of the state a one bird per county limit is odd. Anyone have an idea of the reasoning behind this move??

Best wishes to all for a safe and bountiful season....

User avatar
hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 6994
Joined: August 15th, 2011, 10:15 pm
Location: Argos Indiana

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by hoobilly » April 10th, 2019, 11:12 pm

you can kill one gobbler per county?????? thats crazy but would be fun to try it

User avatar
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1003
Joined: February 24th, 2013, 12:32 am
Location: West TN

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by Southern Sportsman » April 11th, 2019, 12:19 am

hoobilly wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 11:12 pm
you can kill one gobbler per county?????? thats crazy but would be fun to try it
Lol. I’m assuming there is a cap on the total.

I don’t know anything about OK’s bird numbers or managment. I’m just jealous of any state that is willing to change their regulations when there is a problem with the turkey population.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly

User avatar
Jbird22
Posts: 218
Joined: February 28th, 2012, 11:38 am
Location: South MS

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by Jbird22 » April 11th, 2019, 7:03 am

There is a statewide limit of 3 along with the county limits.

Prospector
Posts: 95
Joined: April 11th, 2016, 10:55 am

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by Prospector » April 11th, 2019, 7:52 am

:thumbup: Not many words but for sure a mouthful, Southern Sportsman-and I agree totally.
Go early, stay late, keep a low profile, be a student of the woods; listen to what he’s saying, don’t talk too much, and if you’re lucky- you might get a chance....

Dtrkyman
Posts: 104
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by Dtrkyman » April 14th, 2019, 7:38 am

Nebraska needs to alter their management, but they like the money from the 3 bird limit!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Sir-diealot
Posts: 29
Joined: November 15th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by Sir-diealot » April 15th, 2019, 3:59 am

Hope it is not a long term thing, I will be going there 2020 or 2021 to hunt Rio's.

User avatar
okiefowler
Posts: 74
Joined: March 23rd, 2018, 5:55 pm

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by okiefowler » May 1st, 2019, 10:53 pm

Sir-diealot wrote:Hope it is not a long term thing, I will be going there 2020 or 2021 to hunt Rio's.
Go west to the 2 bird counties.

I've always said that those 1 bird county limits were a crock of horse manure. Lived in a 1 bird county all my life.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


User avatar
Gooserbat
Posts: 272
Joined: December 14th, 2013, 10:56 am
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by Gooserbat » May 2nd, 2019, 6:40 pm

I've always just moved around from county to county. Never had any issue really.
I just came to squeeze the wattles.

User avatar
Sir-diealot
Posts: 29
Joined: November 15th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by Sir-diealot » May 28th, 2019, 11:55 pm

okiefowler wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 10:53 pm
Sir-diealot wrote:Hope it is not a long term thing, I will be going there 2020 or 2021 to hunt Rio's.
Go west to the 2 bird counties.

I've always said that those 1 bird county limits were a crock of horse manure. Lived in a 1 bird county all my life.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Which would be the big bird counties? I will be staying in Kingfisher Country and in Grady County while I am there.

User avatar
SwampDrummin
Posts: 394
Joined: January 5th, 2016, 5:38 pm

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by SwampDrummin » May 29th, 2019, 12:31 am

Dtrkyman wrote:
April 14th, 2019, 7:38 am
Nebraska needs to alter their management, but they like the money from the 3 bird limit!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not gonna take too many years of the "Come hurt our turkeys" facebook ads paid for by the Nebraska Game and Fish to trash the place. The ad pops up on mine all the time and several of my friend's pages. Hell maybe all the turkey hunters in the U.S. are getting it. They make it seem like you gotta wade through em. Kudos to them and the undoubtedly large revenue boost they got from that move but they've got a problem brewing for sure.

deerhunt1988
Posts: 86
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 9:20 am

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by deerhunt1988 » May 29th, 2019, 6:39 am

SwampDrummin wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 12:31 am

Not gonna take too many years of the "Come hurt our turkeys" facebook ads paid for by the Nebraska Game and Fish to trash the place. The ad pops up on mine all the time and several of my friend's pages. Hell maybe all the turkey hunters in the U.S. are getting it. They make it seem like you gotta wade through em. Kudos to them and the undoubtedly large revenue boost they got from that move but they've got a problem brewing for sure.
Been watching Nebraska go the way of Kansas the past several years and between all their agency ads and social media, its really taken a turn the last few. Just like Kansas, more and more folks started going out there. Then folks realized they had to go sooner to beat the crowds. So instead of going mid-May, they start going early May. Then late April. A few seasons of this and the glory days of mid-May hunting are over. So many of the gobblers that used to be alive are now dead. I know several who made the trek this year and the increase in hunting pressure and amount of feather piles they found was pretty amazing. Of course its still good hunting when compared to most southeastern states, but the folks experiencing it now don't realize how good it use to be.

jdjnicholson
Posts: 80
Joined: January 29th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by jdjnicholson » May 29th, 2019, 6:48 am

Always on point....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


User avatar
GobbleNut
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation
Posts: 1004
Joined: July 15th, 2011, 8:58 am

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by GobbleNut » May 29th, 2019, 11:20 am

At least part of this is about changing hunter attitudes. In times of plenty, regulations are set generously to allow for the increased hunting opportunity that the resource provides. Hunters get accustomed to being able to hunt more and kill more birds. It is difficult to reverse that expectation when the resource declines,...as it is in many places now. At some point, however, attitudes have to change for the good of that resource,...or in the long run, we all suffer.

Ultimately, from the hunter's perspective, it becomes a question of "quality" versus "quantity". Sometimes, when you want to have quality, you have to choose to make the hard decision to reduce quantity. Again, it is all about attitudes,...and making adjustments in them when circumstance indicate they are warranted.

jdjnicholson
Posts: 80
Joined: January 29th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by jdjnicholson » May 29th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Loss of habitat and habitat improvement need to change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


dirtnap
Posts: 39
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 8:15 pm

Re: Oklahoma's new game management plan??

Post by dirtnap » May 29th, 2019, 3:24 pm

deerhunt1988 wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 6:39 am
SwampDrummin wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 12:31 am

Not gonna take too many years of the "Come hurt our turkeys" facebook ads paid for by the Nebraska Game and Fish to trash the place. The ad pops up on mine all the time and several of my friend's pages. Hell maybe all the turkey hunters in the U.S. are getting it. They make it seem like you gotta wade through em. Kudos to them and the undoubtedly large revenue boost they got from that move but they've got a problem brewing for sure.
Been watching Nebraska go the way of Kansas the past several years and between all their agency ads and social media, its really taken a turn the last few. Just like Kansas, more and more folks started going out there. Then folks realized they had to go sooner to beat the crowds. So instead of going mid-May, they start going early May. Then late April. A few seasons of this and the glory days of mid-May hunting are over. So many of the gobblers that used to be alive are now dead. I know several who made the trek this year and the increase in hunting pressure and amount of feather piles they found was pretty amazing. Of course its still good hunting when compared to most southeastern states, but the folks experiencing it now don't realize how good it use to be.
Amen. You got that right.

Post Reply

Return to “Gobbler Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests