Good deed reward

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Cut N Run

Good deed reward

Post by Cut N Run »

I was asked by a buddy to take his neighbor kid turkey hunting. The boy's father works a lot and knows nothing about turkey hunting. My father didn't hunt and I owe a lot to friend's fathers who took me hunting, so why not pay it forward? Others taking me hunting changed my life for the better in a big way. I figured I would just take the boy to some of the farms and small properties I hunt and hope for the best.

Well, around noon today, the boy's father called me & said that they had 270 acres of woods across the road from their house, plus another 180 acres up the road a few miles in some of the best turkey country in the region(!). He said that having a place to hunt wasn't the problem. I'm really looking forward to having that young fella knock out some stud gobblers this year. I hope to start him out right. Maybe he'll catch the obsession. I can also hunt any inch of it any time I feel like it. Win/Win.

Jim
Clydetaylor

Re: Good deed reward

Post by Clydetaylor »

Good deal Jim. Always good to get some new ground.
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

That’s awesome!
Clydetaylor

Post by Clydetaylor »

My end up with a new hunting buddy.
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Way to go, Jim.. That worked out well. It is a win-win, indeed!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Yep, win win. Teach him to hunt turkeys not just to kill turkeys, and he will love it till he dies.
Ultimate Predator
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

MKW wrote: March 29th, 2019, 10:11 pm Yep, win win. Teach him to hunt turkeys not just to kill turkeys, and he will love it till he dies.
Exactly!

I love sharing the woods with youngsters. Showing them everything I can. Once had my niece and I stopped. Asking her if she smelled that???? She wrinkled her nose and said yeah, I told her that’s a coyote den or territory spot nearby.

She has smelled that in several other places she has hunted. Kids will remember for life what we teach them
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
ArnoldHillard

Post by ArnoldHillard »

Great stuff. I am a self taught hunter, my dad wasn't a hunter and I'm taking a similar route.
There's a fire going inside we all, that urging to pass it down to those we love.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Ya' know it's a "win & win" situation all ways around!!!
I'm sure you'll be welcome to hunt with and times without him and also you don't expose your places to hunt as the boy get's older and starts to hunt with other buddies :thumbup:

They grow up and are gone before ya' know it ;)
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
ylpnfol

Post by ylpnfol »

doggone Jim you fell head first into the pot o gold this year. Hope it all works out for you.....I know it will :thumbup:
you never know, unless you go

David
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I'm really looking forward to schooling that young fella on what to do and what not to do in the turkey woods. I went to turkey school the hard way and screwed up too much along the way without correction. They say that hard lessons learned are the easiest ones to remember. I never had anyone there to help shorten my learning curve. I can't wait to become a mentor to a youngster and start him out with what it took me years to figure out on my own.

This year, I went from having a few small spots to hunt, to 4 new places and an additional 525 acres of private land that nobody else hunts. First time in my life I've had more places to go than I'll probably have time to cover them all (I still have to work...dang it). What's really aggravating is that I've only got two tags to spend. One of those tags is reserved for the longbeard at the big horse farm that hung up on the old logging road & taunted me last year. He's roosting in the exact same area as last year and following the same logging road (at least he did yesterday). I'll have something for his @$$ this year that sounds a lot like BOOM! I never spooked him, got busted, or over called to blow my cover. He expected me to play by his rules. That just ain't happening again this year.

Jim

Return to “Gobbler Talk”