Mississippi Requires Gobbler Check In

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Prospector

Mississippi Requires Gobbler Check In

Post by Prospector »

New this season in Ol Miss is the mandatory check in of harvested turkeys. This is done via website or app. Not sure how I feel about it. I hear from friends that you have the registered kills numbered by counties... now, that may be info I’d like to have but not sure it’s info I’d like to give- know what I mean? I’m not sure this is wildlife/hunter beneficial. Thoughts?
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Longspurs

Re: Mississippi Requires Gobbler Check In

Post by Longspurs »

A lot of states require hunter harvest check in and they have more turkeys than Mississippi and better hunting. I’m for anything that hinders poachers/thieves etc. Mississippi is obviously trying to get a handle on the turkey decline everyone has been crying about. And I don’t think anything will increase hunter pressure not a County harvest record or anything else it’s about saturated with people already.
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

We gotta check ours in. What’s wrong with it?
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

Longspurs wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 6:01 pm A lot of states require hunter harvest check in and they have more turkeys than Mississippi and better hunting. I’m for anything that hinders poachers/thieves etc. Mississippi is obviously trying to get a handle on the turkey decline everyone has been crying about. And I don’t think anything will increase hunter pressure not a County harvest record or anything else it’s about saturated with people already.
Thankyou for your reply. I do have a query though:how is a check in going to in anyway hinder poachers? Poachers and those that overshoot are going to do so anyway and either only check the limit or not at all. If info was desired on harvest then asking for it to be volunteered by concerned hunters would accomplish as much. Anyway, yes, turkey numbers are down here but I doubt hunting lawful or otherwise is the biggest factor.
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
Gar Commander

Post by Gar Commander »

I will say this I have seen a much greater presence of game wardens patrolling this year than in years past. Previously, they all camped out at the major boat landings of the big 4 reservoirs and wrote tickets to idiots bringing out fish under 12 inches in length. I hope they make us check deer also going forward. Cant do anything but help in my opinion.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”