Who calls?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
coconut

Who calls?

Post by coconut »

You ever hunt with someone and wish there call would break or that they would just be quiet until next season?
coconut

Re: Who calls?

Post by coconut »

Ones that put but they think it sounds like clucks- yelp cadence way to fast sounds like turkey mistakenly ate a pill bottle full of speed. The pro in his own mind. Any that I am leaving out?
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

No matter who I take, their call stay in the truck.
El Sicario
jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

No

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

I hardly ever hunt with anybody. My wife sometimes. She don’t call. I do. I got a buddy that we hunt out of state together both of us call.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

appalachianassassin wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 2:48 am No matter who I take, their call stay in the truck.
Really? You don’t let anybody else bring their own calls?
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
ol bob

Post by ol bob »

At least 90% of spooked birds is from over calling and you never see them.
A wise old owl sat in a mighty oak , The more he saw the less he spoke, The less he spoke the more he heard, Why can't everyone be like this wise Ol bird
BrowningGuy88

Post by BrowningGuy88 »

It depends on who I’m hunting with.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

At least 90 percent of unscene birds is from lack of calling ! :dontknow:

I always let others try to call thats how you learn. I remember when I first started to use a mouth call I hunted with Gobblenut and there was no way I was using that thing in front of him but he forced me to. Then he showed me what I was doing wrong and now a mouth call is my go to call if he had told me to not call I would probably still be struggling with it !!
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

As long as whoever I am hunting with has some fundamental knowledge of calling, I encourage them to call. I used to be in the "let me call 'cause I know what's best" category,....until I started telling the other hunters to call in an effort to give them advice. That was a real eye-opener for me!

What I found out is that turkeys respond to the calling that they decide they want to respond to. I can't tell you how many times I have been sitting with a guy calling where I was going,..."Oh gawd, there is no way in hell that this gobbler is going to come to that calling",...only to have the gobbler come marching right on in!

I have also witnessed great callers calling with mediocre callers where the gobbler being called to was obviously responding to the mediocre guy. Too many turkey hunters who consider themselves to be accomplished turkey callers tend to think "it's my way or the highway". You want your eyes opened about turkey calling,...let some of the guys you think stink with a call do the calling for a few hunts. You will be amazed at what a gobbler will come to!
brobi9

Post by brobi9 »

GobbleNut wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 9:29 am As long as whoever I am hunting with has some fundamental knowledge of calling, I encourage them to call. I used to be in the "let me call 'cause I know what's best" category,....until I started telling the other hunters to call in an effort to give them advice. That was a real eye-opener for me!

What I found out is that turkeys respond to the calling that they decide they want to respond to. I can't tell you how many times I have been sitting with a guy calling where I was going,..."Oh gawd, there is no way in hell that this gobbler is going to come to that calling",...only to have the gobbler come marching right on in!

I have also witnessed great callers calling with mediocre callers where the gobbler being called to was obviously responding to the mediocre guy. Too many turkey hunters who consider themselves to be accomplished turkey callers tend to think "it's my way or the highway". You want your eyes opened about turkey calling,...let some of the guys you think stink with a call do the calling for a few hunts. You will be amazed at what a gobbler will come to!
I also think that what “we” think sounds good doesn’t always translate to turkey talk. I’ve heard some really shitty hens yelps. I’m of the opinion, learn to call, learn when to call, and don’t be afraid to mess up. When I’m hunting, I don’t care who calls as long as they’re not being overly obnoxious
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

On the rare occasion that I hunt with other people, I don't care who calls because I don't consider myself a great caller. I have had a couple of times where I completely understood why we didn't kill a bird though. Mostly that is because some guys call too much to a roosted bird, IMO.
Ultimate Predator
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I always call, but it's only because I rarely hunt with folks that are proficient with any call. They typically don't have enough confidence to call even when I encourage them to do so. However, I call "too much and too loud" on most days, and I can't touch guys like Dave Owens. If I hunt with someone that wants to call, they can have at it. If I think it's so bad that they need to quit, I'll say so.

I'll tone it down when I think it's necessary. I'll back off on Eastern birds more so than Western birds. But..........I don't buy into the idea that most spooked birds are from over calling.
coconut

Post by coconut »

GobbleNut wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 9:29 am As long as whoever I am hunting with has some fundamental knowledge of calling, I encourage them to call. I used to be in the "let me call 'cause I know what's best" category,....until I started telling the other hunters to call in an effort to give them advice. That was a real eye-opener for me!

I have seen turkeys respond to some pretty poor calling and I like the idea of getting the inexperienced guy in the game, especially kids. Will have to say that I can just about pick out what a turkey will gobble at before he does. Never have a heard a human that sounded exactly like a turkey for long. Do know one guy that hunts and kills a bunch of turkeys who doesn’t own a call. He said all you have to do is get where they are going.
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Southern Sportsman wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 7:44 am
appalachianassassin wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 2:48 am No matter who I take, their call stay in the truck.
No
El Sicario
mspaci

Post by mspaci »

only me
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Southern Sportsman wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 7:44 am
no
El Sicario
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

My best friend and I split calling chores when we hunt together, though I usually hunt alone.

I had a trespasser come up behind me when I was working a gobbler in front of me just off the roost. That guy sounded AWFUL, but the gobbler was so fired up, he was answering everything. The gobbler was walking straight towards me and the trespasser was coming up from behind me, calling way too much. I was sure he was going to spook the gobbler, so I shot and killed the gobbler before the trespasser got close. Turns out the trespasser was a real hen that just sounded ragged. She flew right over my head on her way out of there.

You never can tell what they might like to hear. Hell, I even call in and kill a few from time to time.

Jim
Clydetaylor

Post by Clydetaylor »

I usually call because I hunt mostly by myself. Don't mind someone else calling if they have any skills.
brobi9

Post by brobi9 »

Hobbes wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 11:21 am I always call, but it's only because I rarely hunt with folks that are proficient with any call. They typically don't have enough confidence to call even when I encourage them to do so. However, I call "too much and too loud" on most days, and I can't touch guys like Dave Owens. If I hunt with someone that wants to call, they can have at it. If I think it's so bad that they need to quit, I'll say so.

I'll tone it down when I think it's necessary. I'll back off on Eastern birds more so than Western birds. But..........I don't buy into the idea that most spooked birds are from over calling.
Had a hen Yelp for 35 minutes straight today around 0930. Anywhere from 1-6 yelps in a sequence and never more than 90 seconds between them. She also sounded like a new kid on a box call.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

It don't matter to me. I usually talk the person I'm hunting with into calling some. That way if they kill one it was because of my calling ability, if they don't it was becaus they suck at calling.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
Roy

Post by Roy »

guesswho wrote: March 24th, 2019, 4:48 pm It don't matter to me. I usually talk the person I'm hunting with into calling some. That way if they kill one it was because of my calling ability, if they don't it was becaus they suck at calling.
Lol
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
spider316
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by spider316 »

Any day the good Lord let's me wake up to go Turkey hunt. It doesn't matter who calls, because if I'm hunting with them we're gonna have fun !
The most experienced novice Turkey hunter the good Lord ever created !

Return to “Gobbler Talk”