First Bird Despite Disrespectful Hunters

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Roy

Re: First Bird Despite Disrespectful Hunters

Post by Roy »

I remember back in the OG days threads like this would get started and “bird” would end up banning a bunch of people 😂. Good times
" Y'all keep discussing it among yourselves...I'm sneakin' in to pop the noisy one. " - Stinky J Picklestein
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

timbrhuntr wrote: March 21st, 2019, 1:54 pm "I agree with this 100%.
Expecting there to be no opposition is silly. I wish someone would have spoken up before all the buffalo were killed. Hunting is a sport nowadays."

Ha ha that's gotta be one of the best I've ever heard. Unless nobody told you the wild turkey was almost wiped out by market hunting same as the buffalo !

I won't even touch the not needing to hunt for food because its a sport one !

So us pointing out that your opposition to this is silly isn't valid I guess. :lol:
Oh yes, I am fully aware that turkeys were almost wiped out also...until folks spoke up and got regulations put in place. That's exactly what needs to happen now.
Ultimate Predator
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Roy wrote: March 21st, 2019, 1:55 pm I remember back in the OG days threads like this would get started and “bird” would end up banning a bunch of people 😂. Good times
:LMAO:

I had forgot about him.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Do you care if others care about how you do it? That's one of the issues. Reaping around the old school is grounds for expulsion. I just can't address it when someone shows off a bird the decoy called in for them. Doing it as a general thing in terms of law isn't what I'm talking about. It is on the same plane as homosexuals marrying one another. I don't think it should be illegal, but I ain't baking the cake.

The other thing is that turkeys are easy to take by unsporting methods. You can literally get your limit with a trotline baited with corn. Forget what a person cheats themselves out of by taking shortcuts. Bypassing the restrictions that make turkey hunting a sport takes you to a place that has nothing to do with hunting turkeys.

The most effective example I can give of this is how some native women and children used to collect turkeys. They used corn for bait, set up with a stick fixed just far enough off the ground that a turkey could reach the bait if it turned its head sideways, but not pull it back out without repeating the turning of the head. When a number of birds had their heads under the stick they'd rush the flock. A turkey isn't smart enough to turn its head in a hurry to pull it back out. The women and children would catch and kill the birds. The method worked. It was exciting. It was not turkey hunting. You would expect to be derided for even suggesting it. Reaping is similar.
crow

Post by crow »

^^

My wife would sometimes hit me with a stick when I turned my head to look at other wimmen.

she's pretty quick and it was very unsporting
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

You’ve got poachers that kill any and all type of game. It’s not just limited to turkeys.
Reaping and the use of a blind and decoys are a long way from poaching.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
I am the man from Nantucket.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli” -Clemensa
When attacked by a group of clowns...Go for the Juggler!!
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

howl wrote: March 21st, 2019, 2:36 pm Do you care if others care about how you do it? That's one of the issues. Reaping around the old school is grounds for expulsion. I just can't address it when someone shows off a bird the decoy called in for them. Doing it as a general thing in terms of law isn't what I'm talking about. It is on the same plane as homosexuals marrying one another. I don't think it should be illegal, but I ain't baking the cake.

The other thing is that turkeys are easy to take by unsporting methods. You can literally get your limit with a trotline baited with corn. Forget what a person cheats themselves out of by taking shortcuts. Bypassing the restrictions that make turkey hunting a sport takes you to a place that has nothing to do with hunting turkeys.

The most effective example I can give of this is how some native women and children used to collect turkeys. They used corn for bait, set up with a stick fixed just far enough off the ground that a turkey could reach the bait if it turned its head sideways, but not pull it back out without repeating the turning of the head. When a number of birds had their heads under the stick they'd rush the flock. A turkey isn't smart enough to turn its head in a hurry to pull it back out. The women and children would catch and kill the birds. The method worked. It was exciting. It was not turkey hunting. You would expect to be derided for even suggesting it. Reaping is similar.
No I don't care for how you think about it thats just your opinion and well you know what they say about opinions !!

Oh ya reaping turkeys is like kicking puppies lol missed that one.

I have many friends that are homosexual and are now married they are great people and guess what doesn't bother at all !!
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

MKW wrote: March 21st, 2019, 2:02 pm
timbrhuntr wrote: March 21st, 2019, 1:54 pm "I agree with this 100%.
Expecting there to be no opposition is silly. I wish someone would have spoken up before all the buffalo were killed. Hunting is a sport nowadays."

Ha ha that's gotta be one of the best I've ever heard. Unless nobody told you the wild turkey was almost wiped out by market hunting same as the buffalo !

I won't even touch the not needing to hunt for food because its a sport one !

So us pointing out that your opposition to this is silly isn't valid I guess. :lol:
Oh yes, I am fully aware that turkeys were almost wiped out also...until folks spoke up and got regulations put in place. That's exactly what needs to happen now.
There are regulations and people have been fanning for a long time! So you say can't stand to see someone kill a turkey unless its your holy way !
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Folks can kill turkeys any way they want. Killing turkeys does not make one a turkey hunter. Turkeys are incredibly easy to kill, but can sometimes be difficult to hunt. If you don't understand that, I can't help you.

It's like this GA turkey hunter that you speak of that carries a fan for the "stubborn ones". He hunts a turkey, but is unsuccessful at hunting him, so he pulls out the trusty fan to "kill" him. That is exactly what I'm talking about... Hunting vs Killing
Ultimate Predator
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Man that one took a while no just another tool that doesn't always work. Others might just come back the next day and try again when he is as they say ready to play lol and then brag about how tough it was but they did the right way and your correct I don't get it !
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

MKW wrote: March 21st, 2019, 5:07 pm Folks can kill turkeys any way they want. Killing turkeys does not make one a turkey hunter. Turkeys are incredibly easy to kill, but can sometimes be difficult to hunt. If you don't understand that, I can't help you.
So if one doesn’t kill a turkey “your way”, he’s not a turkey hunter... No blinds, no decoys and heaven forbid, no fanning. And preferably with a trumpet!
Now I’ve got it!
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Nope...not what I'm saying at all, but read into it whatever you want. I like the way that you only quoted half of my post and left out the part where I tried to explain what I was getting at.
And though I don't like strutting decoys either, reaping is on a whole nuther level, in my book.
Last edited by MKW on March 21st, 2019, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultimate Predator
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

Without regard to "ethics", I find enough bad about reaping from a safety issue that I object to it. Before someone says turkey hunting has a higher safety risk than other forms of hunting, true, but I don't agree with compounding it by reaping on private or public land. If someone does it on public land routinely, they're pushing Darwinian theory to the max. As for private land, one never can guarantee what knucklehead isn't on it trespassing. I saw a video where a guy stalked a gobbler in the grass with a strutter decoy on his back. Oh, boy....
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Congrats on the turkey.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Like I said earlier, I do not reap. It absolutely is a dangerous practice and I shoot my share of birds without doing it. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. That’s the game!
What bugs the literal crap out of me is the “Hollier than thou” attitude that some have if a blind, decoy or some other method that they don’t like, is used in the hunt.
How many of you hunt waterfowl. Do you, by chance, use decoys? Or heaven forbid, a blind.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

OLE RASPY wrote: March 21st, 2019, 5:54 pm Congrats on the turkey.
:lol:
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

OLE RASPY wrote: March 21st, 2019, 5:54 pm Congrats on the turkey.
:lol:
Jrmcc

Post by Jrmcc »

Weekend Woodsmen wrote: March 20th, 2019, 8:21 pm Last year on opening day, we were hit with the lows and highs of hunting all in one day. After being the first one to the spot, I am a waterfowl hunter, so that means something to me, but apparently doesn't mean anything to others, we had hunters swing in and cut in behind us a shoot birds on their way to our field. THEN the guy parked out in front of us TWICE and sat there forever, getting out of his truck, walking around, talking on the phone, you name it. We had decoys out and orange up, so I KNOW he saw us. It just blew my mind how someone could have such little respect. Anyway, we got fed up and moved to a different property and immediately spotted some birds. After calling to them for an hour, we decided to put a reap on them from 400 yards away. We had to have crawled 250 yards, and when we came over the hill, the birds closed the rest of the distance in a hurry! What a hunt! I am curious have you ever had other hunters treat you like that? Hope you enjoy the video!
You got beat by a woods Hunter who killed birds on the way to a field. Everybody hunts birds differently, but if your on public land and camped out over decoys and not mobile. Every bird within hearing does not become yours.

My opinion may not be worth much, but I think turkeys are meant to be killed in the woods. Yes I've killed field birds, but if at all possible cutting him off before he gets to the field is probably a smart choice. Turkeys in the woods seem to respond better to a call than field birds. I'd rather never see the bird till he pops up inside 50 than to watch him gobble all morning at 200.

As for turkey reaping on public land or land you know other hunters are around........................
Last edited by Jrmcc on March 21st, 2019, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southern Sportsman
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Southern Sportsman »

Hognutz wrote: March 21st, 2019, 6:31 pm How many of you hunt waterfowl. Do you, by chance, use decoys? Or heaven forbid, a blind.
C’mon, man. I’ve said all I’ve got to say on reaping, but ducks and turkeys are apples and oranges and you know it. I shoot squirrels out of trees with a .22. That doesn’t mean we should all start shooting turkeys out of trees with a .22.
I go stubbornly into error by myself, and reach my own fallacious conclusions using my own faulty data. ~Tom Kelly
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

Hognutz wrote: March 21st, 2019, 6:31 pm Do you, by chance, use decoys? Or heaven forbid, a blind.
Thankfully most do...lol (BTW I sell duck blinds) www.flywayspecialties.com :)

As far as reaping goes, I can't imagine anyone who thinks it is a safe practice on public land...especially on a day when you have already had several negative interactions with other hunters...just sayin.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Jamey wrote: March 21st, 2019, 8:22 pm
Hognutz wrote: March 21st, 2019, 6:31 pm Do you, by chance, use decoys? Or heaven forbid, a blind.
Thankfully most do...lol (BTW I sell duck blinds) www.flywayspecialties.com :)

As far as reaping goes, I can't imagine anyone who thinks it is a safe practice on public land...especially on a day when you have already had several negative interactions with other hunters...just sayin.
Can’t ever argue with this guy especially since I’ve seen him hunt turkeys too logical
Hognutz
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hognutz »

Southern Sportsman wrote: March 21st, 2019, 7:16 pm
Hognutz wrote: March 21st, 2019, 6:31 pm How many of you hunt waterfowl. Do you, by chance, use decoys? Or heaven forbid, a blind.
C’mon, man. I’ve said all I’ve got to say on reaping, but ducks and turkeys are apples and oranges and you know it. I shoot squirrels out of trees with a .22. That doesn’t mean we should all start shooting turkeys out of trees with a .22.
Ducks and turkeys are apple and oranges. But a deke is a deke. And a blind is a blind!! Man!!
Longspurs

Post by Longspurs »

I really hope this weekend hero gets this post out of his system lol. He’s posted the same exact story on at least 4 different forums, what exactly are you looking for? There’s already several top notch YouTube hunting shows no one wants to watch an a poser with a fan lol
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

How do you know nobody wants to watch it Primos does it all the time and they are fairly popular !
Longspurs

Post by Longspurs »

timbrhuntr wrote: March 22nd, 2019, 12:31 pm How do you know nobody wants to watch it Primos does it all the time and they are fairly popular !
I know because Primos stopped making the dvds because no one was buying them. They still turkey hunt on tv but it’s 12 min of hunting and the rest is commercials.
The only people I know that would want to watch someone fan a Gobbler is wannabe Facebook hero’s.
And every time this guy posts this same story there’s 5 or so posers that agree and the rest either question the saftey of it or say it’s not hunting.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”