Texas Turkey Season Recap

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Clark8907

Texas Turkey Season Recap

Post by Clark8907 »

I finished my Texas limit on Sat with a total of about 3.5 hrs hunted. Just now getting around to posting. Killed one bird that came in directly off the roost (roosted 500-600 yds away). Dead at 0801. As I shot him two birds gobbled behidn me about 300 yds. I called them into the decoy set up. Killed the strutter over the top of the decoy other bird flew off and stopped about 60-65 yds out and the 20 with TSS laid him down no problem. Three birds dead by 0828. About 10 mins later had some hens come in and feed off north of me rasing hell the whole time. That got another 2-3 gobblers behind me fired up. The hens and I then began a calling war as I knew the gobblers would potentially go to them. The hens started working parallel to the gobblers but still about 150 yards out in front of me. They hit a road and as soon as they did a gobbler flew the creek and ran straight to them. But I still had a bird behind me about 45-50 yds gobbling but couldn't see him. He wased down the creek and did the same exact thing as the other one. They gobbled one more time and that was all I heard from them. We sat there a little while longer try to see if another would gobble but didn't hear anything. Decided to head out for lunch as I was starving. Got back in around 3ish to the same area and bumped some birds walking in. Made a big loop around and set up. Pretty sure this was the same two gobblers that were with the group of hens that morning. I called and never got them to say a ward. They started working their way south back towards the river, but about 200 yds out. Gobblers would not leave hens. However as I am calling to them I look to my left and see a bird blowed up strutting about 45-50 yds out. The bird actually turned out to be two birds. One had almost a full fan and you could easily see the other one was a jake. The one bird almost got shot as on first glimpse I was thought he had a full fan. They come into the decoy set up and mess around with my strutting jake and laydown hen for about 15-20 mins. I jack with them trying to get them to gobble as all these hunts are being filmed. I look up directly behind them and a longbeard is standing there looking at them and the decoys. I did not think he would come in as every other bird I had killed was very hesitant of the dekes. I think the cold weather in South Texas and prolonged winter has the breeding cycle a little behind. Last year they were smashing decoys. Not so much this year. The low 20 degree weather last week most definitely didn't help things get moving in the turkey world. Anyway he did come in and the jakes kinda moved away from the decoys and him, but stayed close enough that I had to wait 3-4 minutes to get a shot. I finally had an opening and killed my final texas turkey to fill my limit. The total number of hours hunted was about 3.5. My buddy and his wife also killed a bird that afternoon and had several encounters that morning, but the birds always came in where his wife couldn't shoot and she hadn't ever killed one before. I went with them the next am and the birds were henned up bad. It was like a switch got flipped and that was it. They were not responding to calls and you could hear hens with the birds that did gobble a couple times after they hit the ground. We hunted until lunch and never could do anythign with a bird. Had one coming in at one point and he got about 100 yds out and then heard hens and the next time he gobbled he was about 300 yds out. We went to lunch and after lunch went to a different property. Got out there and immediately had two gobbling. We moved into a better position only to have hens take not one but both birds away. We stayed put and I kept calling until I got a hen pissed. I called her in and she stayed there for over 45minutes. It was essentially a deal where she was trying to show me she was the bad bitch and I just wanted to use her to hopefully get a bird to come in. Finally we see a bird out there strutting working his way to us. However he was on the hill and all we could see was his fan. Hen heads straight for him. I did some soft purrs and he gobbled. When he gobbled the rest gobbled as well. This one bird turned out to be 7. Lucky for us he was decoy shy and headed straight in alogn with his posse. My buddy and his wife both killed a bird out of that group. Then I headed home. All in all it was a great trip. Opening day was really good with a decent amount of gobbling but more importantly turkeys that were willing to work to calls. The next day was difficult but still managed to kill birds. My buddy and his wife are still hunting today and will hopefully kill a couple more as well. I look forward to this trip every year just because of the number of birds. It makes a medicore turkey hunter like myself look good lol. Now just waiting for Louisiana to open and head up to Oklahoma and kill a few birds there. One cool thing is the fact these hunts were all filmed. Should be some good footage on YouTube after they are edited. There will probably be a line at the begining about warming explicit content...lol. Good luck to everyone the rest of the season.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Texas Turkey Season Recap

Post by soiltester »

Congrats and it sure sounds like a grand opening to your turkey hunting season and I hope it continues this way :thumbup:

Give a heads up with a re-post and with videos later ;)
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Without pics it didn't happen lol
Clark8907

Post by Clark8907 »

There's the last one I killed that afternoon and the three I killed that am by 0830.
Attachments
20190316_094734.jpg
20190316_161429.jpg
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

Nice. Congratulations. How long did it take for your gun barrel to cool down?

Jim
Clark8907

Post by Clark8907 »

Aww....it was cool enough there it never got super hot lol
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Congrats on the success. You sure did cut the fun short.
MAK

Post by MAK »

Congrats what an action filled trip
MAK
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Ok pics make it real. Congrats ! Good thing about Texas you can kill 4 birds bad thing is you can kill them all the same day. I think it was the first year I hunted in Texas I had three toms come to the call and when I came out of the daze I had three down flopping. I had a week to hunt with my buddy on his ranch and only one tag left on day one lol :banghead:
OLE RASPY
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by OLE RASPY »

Congrats on the birds. Good job.
Texas is fun. Bunch of birds where I hunted.
But I went on a semi guided for one rio in San Angelo for my slam.
TURKEYS
COYOTES
DEER
SQUIRRELS
(all in this order)
joey46

Post by joey46 »

Wow! That's a lot of Turkey cleaning. Congrats.
ylpnfol

Post by ylpnfol »

Congrats, 2019 season starting off with a bang...or 3
you never know, unless you go

David
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

Leave a few for seed,,,,, :LMAO: