Who Here Has Never Taken A Private Land Spring Gobbler-- But One Day Would Like To?

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
quavers16

Who Here Has Never Taken A Private Land Spring Gobbler-- But One Day Would Like To?

Post by quavers16 »

That would be me. Only 3 Times on Private Lands with my 30th Spring coming up. Plenty of Birds taken-- but one day, I would like to add at least 1 Private Land Gobbler to the bag.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Who Here Has Never Taken A Private Land Spring Gobbler-- But One Day Would Like To?

Post by timbrhuntr »

Get rid of that big whistle and maybe someone will invite you ! I see Guesswho has lots of easy gobblers on his land I bet he would ! :D :toothy7:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Who Here Has Never Taken A Private Land Spring Gobbler-- But One Day Would Like To?

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
Last edited by ICDEDTURKES on February 23rd, 2019, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

I have a ton of tremendous private ground spread over three counties. I've got public ground blow your my mind, but I've lived here my entire life, I know it.

I have some of the best ground in 3 counties but when taking people that have only a few days I'll roll into with same confidence on public.

A member of this forum once said "just because they live on public, doesn't mean they where a cap and gown"
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

One thing that sticks out to me is most veteran Turkey hunters have private honey holes. Please don't take offense to this statement each state may be different than ones I have hunted. Most of the serious turkey hunters I am friends with have private spots in their home state and some even have spots in numerous states. I myself even have 1000s of private acres to hunt in my home state and in a couple other states. I do work hard at keeping up good relationships with the land owners I hunt on. It seems to me in your 30yrs of hunting you must've not walked up to the right door or sat at the wrong coffee table in the local county cafe. Maybe you should knock on a few more doors or invest a little bit of time getting to know some land owners that may let you hunt. Good luck on your quest for a private land gobbler.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

In my opinion turkeys are not much harder if any to kill on public ground than private ground. I have had hunts that last a matter of minutes on both private and public.
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

Well Swampchicken-- I live about 50 miles North of NYC. Anti-Hunting sentiment is kind of High in my area. I gave up on knocking on doors. However , I do have a few good Secluded spots that must be as good as Private Land within a 1/4 mile of the road. I wrote about this today over at Oldgobbler-- Taking a opening day Gamble on Public Lands a 1/4 mile in. One area, I hear very often at Least 50 Gobblers and Jakes. Other days, I only hear 25 or so in a Half mile radius.Kind of Tempting to take a Gamble on a close hunt with that many birds.Probably no one here believes that, I hear that many on Public Ground Though.
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I have other Honey Holes that are all over 1 mile in on Public Group in both NY+ NJ. I might save the Long walks for the 2nd day. The Wild Turkey Population seems to be still increasing in my area.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Where I turkey hunt (99% public) I feel extremely lucky to hear 7-8 gobblers. Usually, I'll hear 1 or 2. The one private spot that I hunt is not much better, but I think our gobblers just don't gobble as much as their northern cousins. They are there and I kill them, but they're not overly vocal.
Ultimate Predator
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

If I hear 3-4 on private that’s a good day where i’m at. I will trade hunts with you so you can knock it off your bucket list. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Longspurs

Post by Longspurs »

I notice most posts here are reruns of the same post on OG. Same person posts the same question and then the same people answer about the same way on here. Lol Are you looking for a different answer or just bored?
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

swampchicken wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 1:27 pm In my opinion turkeys are not much harder if any to kill on public ground than private ground. I have had hunts that last a matter of minutes on both private and public.
here ya go!

same here.. some of our private land here in Indiana means the farmer lets a lot of guys hunt here. I have hunted private farms and these gobblers you wouldve thought were brought here from Alabama state ground. hit the call and they run the other way :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Yep, I went from hunting all private in GA to hunting almost all public in SC 9 years ago. I still kill all that the state laws allow, every spring. I have not seen much different in the turkeys. You do get messed up by other hunters a little more on public, but most public lands are big enough to move to a different area and keep hunting.
I actually like hunting public more that I do private...except for the time that the tires on my truck were slashed.
Ultimate Predator
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Longspurs wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 8:42 pm I notice most posts here are reruns of the same post on OG. Same person posts the same question and then the same people answer about the same way on here. Lol Are you looking for a different answer or just bored?
Just a few weeks til turkey season. I suspect most of us on here are packed, ready and bored as all hell. I know I am.
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Just a few weeks til turkey season. I suspect most of us on here are packed, ready and bored as all hell. I know I am.
[/quote]

I know that's right! Counting down the days till it's time to play!
appalachianassassin
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by appalachianassassin »

:thumbup:
MKW wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 9:17 pm Yep, I went from hunting all private in GA to hunting almost all public in SC 9 years ago. I still kill all that the state laws allow, every spring. I have not seen much different in the turkeys. You do get messed up by other hunters a little more on public, but most public lands are big enough to move to a different area and keep hunting.
I actually like hunting public more that I do private...except for the time that the tires on my truck were slashed.
Same here
El Sicario
Prospector

Post by Prospector »

I hunt private. Our club lease is about all the hunting I can do with work and all. Their are several turkey hunters in the membership so it’s not exclusive for me. Of course, occasionally I am messed up by other hunters but I usually know the guy... maybe that’s a hybrid public/private lol... I have always thought about following the season north on public ground/ hope to maybe try it some day....
“Son, Turkey HUNTING starts at 40yds and in. If you can kill him farther that’s all you’re doing- KILLING. Make him think he’s answering you, call him up, kill him closer-Man! Now that’s what it’s meant to be…” Johnnie Keel ( an Old Pro most never know)
merriamsman

Post by merriamsman »

I have never hunted private land and probably never will, at least here in Montana. I like the challenge of killing hard hunted public land birds. Here in Montana, birds on private land can get pretty “barnyardy”.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Reminds me of the fella who claimed all them hunters over in Edgefield hunt in running shoes and have the crotch tore outta their camo pants. Standing on a property line listening to one tear it up is like driving by a field full of ripe watermelons. Either you're sportin' or you ain't. I have a hard time understandin' a fella who ain't at least sportin' minded if not outright active.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

howl wrote: March 11th, 2019, 4:39 pm Reminds me of the fella who claimed all them hunters over in Edgefield hunt in running shoes and have the crotch tore outta their camo pants. Standing on a property line listening to one tear it up is like driving by a field full of ripe watermelons. Either you're sportin' or you ain't. I have a hard time understandin' a fella who ain't at least sportin' minded if not outright active.
What is this "property line" that you speak of??
Ultimate Predator
devastator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by devastator »

50 gobblers? :scratch: Im sorry if your looking for sympathy from me it is located in the dictionary
between sh.t and shankers,50 gobblers :violent1:
fountain

Post by fountain »

I'm lucky if I have 3 or 4 gobblers between the land I own and lease. It's all in one block and is several hundred acres. I'm likely going to venture into some public ground this spring due to the lack of gobblers and good ground

Return to “Gobbler Talk”