MI DNR Approach to CWD .. Pandora's Box!!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

MI DNR Approach to CWD .. Pandora's Box!!

Post by soiltester »

I know there was an earlier post concerning CWD and wanted to share what's going on in Gratiot County MI, where I moved from in 2005.
I didn't deer hunt there, but everyone else that did and does sure turned into complete idiot arsewholes when deer season opened :LMAO: :stir:

3 week talks from Chad(Al's son) on CWD.
http://michiganoutofdoorstv.com/shows.cfm?VideoID=550
http://michiganoutofdoorstv.com/shows.cfm?VideoID=551
http://michiganoutofdoorstv.com/shows.cfm?VideoID=552

Interesting tactic from the DNR!!
http://michiganoutofdoorstv.com/shows.cfm
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
deerhunt1988

Re: MI DNR Approach to CWD .. Pandora's Box!!

Post by deerhunt1988 »

Care to give us the cliffs? I'm interested but not going to watch an hours worth of video.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

Same here, bout tired of arguing about CWD though.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

....so let’s take bets on when CWD is going to be officially tied to human CJD.
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

Just posted to share, for those that are following what's going on with CWD in MI, as I could care less!!
Just scroll ahead at the time elapsed on bottom of your screen
1st video .. starts at 15:50 mins
2nd at 7:50
3rd at 12:56
4th is DNR plan of attack :shock:
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I forwarded the video and watched the first one. Then part of the 2nd. I did watch the Tackett calls portion. Very cool

I wonder if this Tackett feller is the one RedArrow uses his calls for turkey hunting??? Billie?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

I also wonder if the bacteria in deer is ever present like bacteria in humans and just tears it’s ugly head now and then?
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Trust me same old same old not worth the watch !!

Unless you wanna see their DNR flip and flop like a fish LOL
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

timbrhuntr wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 9:25 am Trust me same old same old not worth the watch !!

I think they already are floppin' :thumbup:
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

timbrhuntr wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 9:25 am Trust me same old same old not worth the watch !!

Exactly as you know our Michigan board has a billion threads on it. Dnr is throwing darts at a board where's it would take a nuclear Armageddon to get out of the soil.

Banning supplement feed will get rid of it lol
jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

CWD is a joke. You won't shoot it out of any deer herd and no human has ever been effected due to consumption of venison.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

jdjnicholson wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 3:57 pm CWD is a joke. You won't shoot it out of any deer herd and no human has ever been effected due to consumption of venison.

It’s true that you won’t shoot it out of any deer herd. The jury is out on whether a human has been infected. Prion diseases have shown great fluidity between mammalian species with decades long incubation periods in humans and It’s only relatively recently that large amounts of infected animals would have been consumed by hunters. Pigs, hamsters, spider monkeys, macaque monkeys, ferrets and several other species have been proven to be susceptible to CWD infection. Calling it a joke is ignorant.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

hoobilly wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 9:23 am I also wonder if the bacteria in deer is ever present like bacteria in humans and just tears it’s ugly head now and then?
Only one scientist is calling it a bacterial infection and other scientists have been unable to replicate his finding. It’s akin to the whole vaccines cause autism myth. Deer farmers and certain organizations have been pushing his old “findings” in the news recently but there has been no new advancement of this theory.

The disease causing agent in CWD is a mutated prion protein which causes normal healthy proteins to mutate. Prion diseases in humans originate in one of two ways. One is spontaneously, the idea is that maybe one times in a million persons a human prion is morphed just randomly and becomes infectious within the body. The second is through the consumption of infected meat from another mammals with a prion disease. The only prion diseases humans have been proven to contract from mammals are BSE (mad cow) from cattle and Kuru from other humans through cannibalistic practices.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

There have been people in Colorado eating deer in the CWD zone for over 40 years. It took about a decade for mad cow disease or vCJD to show up in humans ?

Pigs, hamsters, spider monkeys, macaque monkeys, ferrets and several other species have been proven to be susceptible to CWD infection. Susceptible lol not really they had to go to extraordinary measures to get it to show up in most of these in ferrets they couldn't get it transmit orally but by injecting into the brain same with most other animals on your list !
jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

SwampDrummin wrote:
jdjnicholson wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 3:57 pm CWD is a joke. You won't shoot it out of any deer herd and no human has ever been effected due to consumption of venison.

It’s true that you won’t shoot it out of any deer herd. The jury is out on whether a human has been infected. Prion diseases have shown great fluidity between mammalian species with decades long incubation periods in humans and It’s only relatively recently that large amounts of infected animals would have been consumed by hunters. Pigs, hamsters, spider monkeys, macaque monkeys, ferrets and several other species have been proven to be susceptible to CWD infection. Calling it a joke is ignorant.
I'll stand by my statement. Fact....MO tested 24,600 deer last Fall. 29 tested positive for CWD including 1 road kill. So if this disease, that has been known for 50+ plus years is such a threat, why don't more deer have. I'll entertain the dormant argument for you. So if it takes 5 years to show signs in a deer......average life span of a deer is what,2.5 years? Yes CWD is a blown out of proportion joke. EHD kills more deer every year.

swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

It's just a matter of time till a human is infected and has an autopsy to prove it. Deer will become overpopulated by people not eating and hunting them to control the population. Car wreaks increase. Then they will be thought of like coyotes and shot like pests. It wont be this year or next but it will happen eventually.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

timbrhuntr wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 8:28 pm There have been people in Colorado eating deer in the CWD zone for over 40 years. It took about a decade for mad cow disease or vCJD to show up in humans ?

Pigs, hamsters, spider monkeys, macaque monkeys, ferrets and several other species have been proven to be susceptible to CWD infection. Susceptible lol not really they had to go to extraordinary measures to get it to show up in most of these in ferrets they couldn't get it transmit orally but by injecting into the brain same with most other animals on your list !
Make fun of it, I don’t care. Eliminate all the species and just consider macaque monkeys who contracted the disease after eating 7 ounces of muscle tissue, once a month, for two years. That’s concerning.

There are so many assumptions in the “its been here so long” argument. The biggie is that CJD is actually being caught and reported. Yale did an internal review of their own hospitAl and found that 10 percent of all their Alzheimer’s diagnoses were misdiagnosed CJD.

But I digressed, let’s say humans can’t get it. Ok, Syrian hamsters cant get CWD either. Well, If you expose ferrets to cwd it kills the ferrets and then if you expose those same Syrian hamsters to the ferret prions it kills them. Think of all the fun permutations that are taking place among predators and prey as this disease spreads.
Last edited by SwampDrummin on February 24th, 2019, 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
SwampDrummin

Post by SwampDrummin »

jdjnicholson wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 9:59 pm I’ll stand by my statement. Fact....MO tested 24,600 deer last Fall. 29 tested positive for CWD including 1 road kill. So if this disease, that has been known for 50+ plus years is such a threat, why don't more deer have. I'll entertain the dormant argument for you. So if it takes 5 years to show signs in a deer......average life span of a deer is what,2.5 years? Yes CWD is a blown out of proportion joke. EHD kills more deer every year.

More deer have this disease with each passing year. It has slowly been marching across the United stages. It was first discovered at a captive facility in Colorado in the 1960s and then wild deer in the 1980s. In the 40 years since it has turned into a juggernaut.

Missouri is still early in the infection cycle. It was discovered in a captive facility in 2010 and then in wild deer near the facility in 2012. It has not always existed in the state and appears to be first introduced at that captive facility which is why the current rate of positives are so low.

Compare this to Wisconsin who had very low rates upon initial detection in 2001. Now, after the disease has taken hold and gathered steam, there are counties approaching 40-50 percent infection rates in 2.5 year old bucks and older. Pick an adult buck and there is a 50 percent chance he’s got less than 18-24 months to live. It doesn’t take 5 years to show up. Once a deer gets it, he’s got 18-24 months left on this green earth. Very few bucks are making it to 4.5 or older in these counties where the disease has caught hold.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

hoobilly wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 9:22 am I forwarded the video and watched the first one. Then part of the 2nd. I did watch the Tackett calls portion. Very cool

I wonder if this Tackett feller is the one RedArrow uses his calls for turkey hunting??? Billie?
Yes. One and the same. Good guy ,makes great calls. It was cool seeing him on TV.
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Love to know where you come up with your info so far as to macaque monkeys being infected and also your 40-50 percent rate of CWD infection in Wisconsin bucks I guess my internet search tool is less efficient than yours !
deerhunt1988

Post by deerhunt1988 »

timbrhuntr wrote: February 24th, 2019, 10:19 am 40-50 percent rate of CWD infection in Wisconsin bucks I guess my internet search tool is less efficient than yours !
It is not statewide, but in their 'hot zone'.

And here ya go:

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabita ... lence.html

Check out the prevalence graph for Iowa County.
firedup

Post by firedup »

There appears to be some significant break through in the ultimate cure or way we handle CWD. Also has carry overs to other brain related disfunction. By all accounts this is the single biggest development yet. Sounds really promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdtFXriMx00

Return to “Gobbler Talk”