Locator call- goose

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
VALongbeard

Locator call- goose

Post by VALongbeard »

Guys,
Need some recommendations here. I have noticed in my neck of the woods hunting easterns that an owl call works sometimes and a crow call works a little better than an owl call most of the time getting a bird to gobble.

But, a goose flying over honking works almost every time to jerk a gobble out of those stubborn birds. So, looking to add a goose call to my arsenal for a locator call.

Would prefer something wooden, loud, and of course something that sounds like a goose. I am open to any suggestions though. What call would be good for this as I dont have much experience with goose calls and brands? Thanks so much for any help.
dsunday

Re: Locator call- goose

Post by dsunday »

I use a polycarb Tim Grounds supermag. A $50 call that has been used to win the world.

If I may, I'd recommend staying away from wood. It will crack at some point.

Another cheap option that sounds great is the Field Proven poly raptor
"Never trust what you quote from the internet" -Abe Lincoln
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

Perfect......this is why I asked. I seen Tim Grounds and Buck Gardner both seem to be pretty popular. Thanks for the reply.
Deputy 14

Post by Deputy 14 »

Buck Gardner $15 poly call will do what you want.
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

That's what I'm talking about.....haha! Thanks so much!
swampchicken

Post by swampchicken »

Yep poly instead of wood as others have said.
VALongbeard

Post by VALongbeard »

What do you guys think of this call? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one like this. I think it will serve my purpose.
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (20.91 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
310 gauge

Post by 310 gauge »

I would suggest you get an "old school" type goose call even if it's something super cheap on ebay. The one pictured is a modern short reed call that takes right much practice to use. The older more simple calls will produce the "ker honk" that you are after to get that turkey 's response. My son and I hunt swamp edges that geese frequent and a few honks on a simple call works when all else fails. Good luck with your choice and your calling !

Return to “Gobbler Talk”