Thank God for Survelliance Cameras!!!!

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Thank God for Survelliance Cameras!!!!

Post by HunterGKS »

I experienced something this morning that I have never had happen before & hope never happens again.

I finished my work out at about 10:15 & headed up the road to Wally World. I parked in my usual spot &
walked into the store, grabbed a cart & headed to the 1st section. There were 3 Wal-Mart clerks standing
at the end of an aisle watching me with odd looks on their faces. I said: “Hi how are all y’all doing?” no
response. I went into another aisle, found what I needed & tossed it in the cart. Someone said:
“How are you?” I turned saying: “Good & you?” to 3 Bucyrus police officers. What the??

“Sir, did you just have an altercation with someone in the parking lot?” “No sir, I didn’t. I parked
my truck & walked directly into the store.” “So, no altercation?” “No sir.” “Are you carrying a knife?”
I immediately raised my hands to shoulder level & said: “Yes sir, a small pocket knife in my left front
pocket.” I then provided them with additional information as required by law. We talked a little & I
asked what this was all about. One of them said that a Wal-Mart contractor had gotten into altercation
with someone in the parking lot who had pulled a knife on him. They told me the assailant was wearing
a brown jacket (check), a red hoody (check), & a grey beard (check). HOLY CRAP!!!! THAT’S ME!!!!

After the initial shock, I asked if I could have a face-to-face with the guy that was attacked. They
mentioned that they could check the video as Wal-Mart has cameras covering the parking lot. One
of the officers left to look for the guy & to check the video. In an effort to lighten the mood, 1 of
the officers said that: “Since I don’t think George is a homicidal maniac or anything, we don’t need
to disarm him.” I told them they could take whatever they needed to make them feel safer as long
as I got it back. I also told them it was starting to get a little embarrassing standing in Wal-Mart with
3 officers around me as customers went past.

They asked a clerk if there was on office some place where we could go to avoid any more embarrassment.
She contacted management & we followed her to the back of the store. When we got there, the 3rd officer
called on the radio telling the others that he had seen the video & it wasn’t me. You can not even begin to
imagine the relief I felt. I was afraid that my knees might give out. They were very apologetic & I told them
they were doing their job, had nothing for which to apologize. I thanked them for treating me like a person
& not as a miscreant. I also thanked them for their service.

As we were leaving the back of the store, 1 officer said: “I’ll bet you go home & shave your beard. I laughed
& said: “Believe it or not, I had just tossed a beard trimmer into my cart when you approached me.”

Over 50+ years of driving, I have been stopped for speeding several times & it was no big deal. But this scared
the crap out of me. Unless you have been in this situation, you can not even begin to understand the thoughts
that go through your mind or the range of emotions from start to finish. Even though I knew I had done nothing
wrong, I was still extremely nervous. Thank God that Wal-Mart has surveillance cameras covering the parking lot.

One other think I am thankful for is that I didn’t think of this earlier & say it. On the drive to lunch afterward, I
thought: “If I were to pull something on someone, it wouldn’t have been a knife.” That would not have been
well received by the officers.

Anyway, it just goes to show that the innocent can be mistaken for a miscreant &, that if you treat LE with
respect, they will treat you the same way.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Thank God for Survelliance Cameras!!!!

Post by HunterGKS »

My niece posted some pics on FB from the BPD, & it dang sure looks like me except his
beard is longer & not as grey.
George

timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Boy its a good thing that you weren't carrying your ban hammer
:LMAO:
soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

If ya' jest' hadn't gone back after ya' took a swipe at the guy the 1st time .. ya'd bin' safe :thumbup:
Ya' went home and started ta- shaved yer' beard till' the trimmer went to pot and had to head back to git' another one :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

timbrhuntr wrote: January 25th, 2019, 5:00 pm Boy its a good thing that you weren't carrying your ban hammer
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

YEAH George that would tend to freak a feller out. I bet them clerks that didnt say anything to you were even more freaked out cause you never know whats gonna happen in this world now a days.

Kudos to the officers for being calm. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and no one was injured

rather be embarrassed than the alternative!
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
CamoMan4025
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by CamoMan4025 »

I always knew George was a armed felon. Just another reason he shouldn't be a Moderator on here......I'm gonna contact management ;) ;) :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"God, Guts & High Explosives"
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

timbrhuntr wrote: January 25th, 2019, 5:00 pm Boy its a good thing that you weren't carrying your ban hammer
I left it in my other pants.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: January 25th, 2019, 5:07 pm If ya' jest' hadn't gone back after ya' took a swipe at the guy the 1st time .. ya'd bin' safe :thumbup:
Ya' went home and started ta- shaved yer' beard till' the trimmer went to pot and had to head back to git' another one :LMAO:
It was pretty funny when he asked if I was going to shave & I had a beard trimmer in the cart. Helped to lighten the mood.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

hoobilly wrote: January 25th, 2019, 5:09 pm
:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

YEAH George that would tend to freak a feller out. I bet them clerks that didnt say anything to you were even more freaked out cause you never know whats gonna happen in this world now a days.

Kudos to the officers for being calm. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and no one was injured

rather be embarrassed than the alternative!
I've been going to this Wally World for about 14 years & a lot of them know me.
I made sure to talk to the girls later & we agreed I had a pretty good story to tell. They fell apart
when I told them about the officer asking if I would shave & I pulled the trimmer out of the cart.

I never EVER give LE any reason to do anything that would be a bad result for me, especially when I'm carrying.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

CamoMan4025 wrote: January 25th, 2019, 5:10 pm I always knew George was a armed felon. Just another reason he shouldn't be a Moderator on here......I'm gonna contact management ;) ;) :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I always treat LE with respect but, in your case, I'll make an exception.
Raspberry-1.jpg
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

This is the guy & I just read on the BPD page that they have ID him.
Pic 1.jpg
Pic 1.jpg (4.94 KiB) Viewed 5935 times
Pic 2.jpg
Pic 2.jpg (13.87 KiB) Viewed 5935 times
Pic 3.jpg
Pic 3.jpg (10.75 KiB) Viewed 5935 times
Pic 4.jpg
Pic 4.jpg (11.61 KiB) Viewed 5935 times
George

Tail Feathers

Post by Tail Feathers »

You should have tried to run. That would make some great video!
Do you still bounce good when tackled or tased? :)
Turkey fanatic :turkeywave:
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

I'd have tased you, twice. Or at least until you pee'd yourself.

Just kidding. I agree, be respectful and that's usually what you get in return. They have a job to do and they had no idea you were semi-harmless.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

Tail Feathers wrote: January 25th, 2019, 5:46 pm You should have tried to run. That would make some great video!
Do you still bounce good when tackled or tased? :)
No run, just a really fast walk. Haven't been tackled in many years & never tased so the answer is: WHOTHEHELLKNOWS!!!!
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

guesswho wrote: January 25th, 2019, 6:04 pm I'd have tased you, twice. Or at least until you pee'd yourself.

Just kidding. I agree, be respectful and that's usually what you get in return. They have a job to do and they had no idea you were semi-harmless.
Nothing good can come from giving LE a load of crap. Unless I am asked something that requires a specific answer,
it's only "Yes Sir", "No Sir", or "Thank You, Sir."

I did send a complimentary email to the PD. LE seems to get nothing but ragged on, so I thought
kudos were in order.
George

soiltester
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by soiltester »

HunterGKS wrote: January 25th, 2019, 6:12 pm
guesswho wrote: January 25th, 2019, 6:04 pm I'd have tased you, twice. Or at least until you pee'd yourself.

Nothing good can come from giving LE a load of crap. Unless I am asked something that requires a specific answer,
it's only "Yes Sir", "No Sir", or "Thank You, Sir."

I did send a complimentary email to the PD. LE seems to get nothing but ragged on, so I thought
kudos were in order.

An email (use to be letter for me) is the right thing to do when your involved in a situation like that :thumbup:

You still did good to switch your big knife, for your pocket knife before you came back to the store :LMAO:
ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts??
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by redarrow »

CamoMan4025 wrote: January 25th, 2019, 5:10 pm I always knew George was a armed felon. Just another reason he shouldn't be a Moderator on here......I'm gonna contact management ;) ;) :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wants and
warrants Po Po. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
GLS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by GLS »

A man I worked with had a doormat that read: "Come back with a warrant". Gil
joey46

Post by joey46 »

You are lucky. In my 27 years of LEO experience the large chains such as Walmart rather not get too involved in parking lot incidents, especially hit and run damage. Often heard "that camera is down". Often was very skeptical with that answer. I guess you were special or their management felt this incident crossed a threshold. The cheap beer being carried by perpetrator should have been enough to clear you. LOL.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

soiltester wrote: January 26th, 2019, 7:12 am
An email (use to be letter for me) is the right thing to do when your involved in a situation like that :thumbup:
With all the bad press LE gets, I thought they were due some good words. Always a good morale booster to
hear good things about the job your doing.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

joey46 wrote: January 26th, 2019, 9:10 am You are lucky. In my 27 years of LEO experience the large chains such as Walmart rather not get too involved in parking lot incidents, especially hit and run damage. Often heard "that camera is down". Often was very skeptical with that answer. I guess you were special or their management felt this incident crossed a threshold. The cheap beer being carried by perpetrator should have been enough to clear you. LOL.
I would think threatening someone with a knife would prompt Wally World
to get more involved. BPD posted the pics with a request for help in IDing
a "road rage" incident perpetrator. I've been looking for more info but have
found nothing. May not until Monday. Things move more slowly in
"small town America."

I've been shopping there for about 14 years & know a lot of the workers so
I doubt that had anything to do with it but you never know.
George

Sir-diealot

Post by Sir-diealot »

I have two stories kinda like that. I will tell the most recent first.

I went to my ham radio club meeting one night (I was the secretary at the time) and the vice-president of the club walked up to me and told me he and another member had to talk with me (Both former cops) They start asking me about the trouble I had earlier in the week and I had to ask them what they were talking about. They informed me that they had heard my name on the scanner and that the cops were at my house to arrest me, this was all news to me. They said that I had to get it resolved or I would no longer be able to represent the club. So the first thing I do is tell them I have no clue what they are talking about and asked them if they wanted to go down to the station with me so I could prove it was bogus which they declined to do.

Well I went home that night and asked my landlord if the cops had indeed been here which he confirmed that they were. This miffed me a bit because it had been half a week and he had not said anything. (They live under me)

Me being the straight forward guy I am the next evening I went to the police station and ask them what is going on, they take me into the station and cuff me to the chair while while they question me. Come to find out that a friend of my ex-girlfriend had said I head been in her work area and she hear me talking to a friend and threatening the ex. Now understand I had not been with the ex for at least 7 years ago and had only been in the place that the friend worked when I had first moved to the area maybe 13 years previous to her saying that she saw me in there and heard me threaten the girlfriend. The cops keep saying they know I did this and I keep telling them that I want to see security footage of me being in there that day because I know it does not exist.

Well apparently she had said she saw the firearm that I said I was going to do this with and she described it to them and that is what got me off. She described the shotgun I had had when I was with the ex and she said when she saw it that night that it had a red/green dot scope on it, that is what saved me, I have sold that scope years ago to a correctional officer that used to work for the very same county. I told them this and that is when their attitudes started to change but I will tell you I was certainly scared up until that point.

The other story is I was sitting at my apartment one day and I get a call from a distant cousin many times removed that was a part of the police force where I had grown up, he starts asking me where I was on some day last week and then informed me that they had witnesses that said they saw me trow a safe out the window out of a building and the jump out and run away with the safe. I tried to tell him there was there was no way I had done this to which he kept saying they had more than one witness. I kept trying to explain there was no way I did this and tried to tell him why but he kept cutting me off. He says he is down the road and he and another officer are going to come get me. SO I am sitting in my apartment and they come to the door and I tell them to come in. Well the look on their faces is something I will never forget, because I had just gotten in the apartment after being in the hospital from Dec.16 until the middle of March and I was sitting in a wheelchair because I could not walk! They called the hospital I had been in to confirm my statement and when he hung up the phone he looks at the his partner and says "I think we were misinformed" I started laughing and said "Ya think?!"
Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Grumpy »

I'm glad I look like I do, I never get a mistaken identity on me, yup, I'm one of a kind, see my avatar pic for proof.
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"

Return to “Gobbler Talk”