Iowa turkey season

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Iowa turkey season

Post by Hoobilly »

I have a young cousin (25) who has a awesome girlfriend

Her grandfather lives in Iowa, has property off of the river (I assume Mississippi) about 4.5 hours from here in Indiana.

she wants to take him on a surprise turkey hunt to her granddads farm. 80+ acres. She said it has turkeys.

any weird stipulations for turkey hunting Iowa???

over the counter tags etc?

Any of you from Iowa to give tips advice??
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
Longspurs

Re: Iowa turkey season

Post by Longspurs »

Advice: get on the Iowa DNR site. You have to buy a liscence to enter the drawing for a specific zone and season. You better get on it the deadline is coming up and after that it's leftover tags in leftover zones and seasons
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

and you are looking at over 200 bucks to hunt one turkey as a non res
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Longspurs wrote: January 21st, 2019, 8:51 pm Advice: get on the Iowa DNR site. You have to buy a liscence to enter the drawing for a specific zone and season. You better get on it the deadline is coming up and after that it's leftover tags in leftover zones and seasons
Got it! Thanks!

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

timbrhuntr wrote: January 21st, 2019, 10:03 pm and you are looking at over 200 bucks to hunt one turkey as a non res
Iowa and Indiana sure is proud of their turkey favs for non residents. Cost u a little more to hunt one gobbler here in the Hoosier state

jdjnicholson

Post by jdjnicholson »

It's all day hunting. You have to apply for a permit in a zone. Close to 280$.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

Brice, my wife is from Iowa(32 years married) We have hunted all over the eastern part of the state but mostly stick to their property in zone 6. It is EXPENSIVE$$$$ to hunt here as all hunting in IOWA is... The laws are pretty liberal with very short seasons 1st and 2nd( 4days) 3rd is longer Very little hunting pressure and lots of strokers.. Rivers are a gold mine!
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

Fatmo wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 10:27 pm Brice, my wife is from Iowa(32 years married) We have hunted all over the eastern part of the state but mostly stick to their property in zone 6. It is EXPENSIVE$$$$ to hunt here as all hunting in IOWA is... The laws are pretty liberal with very short seasons 1st and 2nd( 4days) 3rd is longer Very little hunting pressure and lots of strokers.. Rivers are a gold mine!
what do you think is the best time to hunt???

gobblerchsr

Post by gobblerchsr »

Brice,

I have been hunting western Iowa the last 3 years and it is awesome. I have been hunting the 3rd season. This year that is April 17-23. The deadline to apply is this Sunday January 27th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

gobblerchsr wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 6:04 pm Brice,

I have been hunting western Iowa the last 3 years and it is awesome. I have been hunting the 3rd season. This year that is April 17-23. The deadline to apply is this Sunday January 27th.

thank you! I told her to get a move on and try get her applications done :thumbup:

jryser

Post by jryser »

hoobilly wrote:
Fatmo wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 10:27 pm Brice, my wife is from Iowa(32 years married) We have hunted all over the eastern part of the state but mostly stick to their property in zone 6. It is EXPENSIVE$$$$ to hunt here as all hunting in IOWA is... The laws are pretty liberal with very short seasons 1st and 2nd( 4days) 3rd is longer Very little hunting pressure and lots of strokers.. Rivers are a gold mine!
I’ve been getting drawn every year for the past 8 years. We hunt till we score! U will love hunting Iowa. Hunt public!!

Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

jryser wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 9:54 pm
I’ve been getting drawn every year for the past 8 years. We hunt till we score! U will love hunting Iowa. Hunt public!!

[/quote]

Won’t be this go around. My young cousin has the worlds best girlfriend (fiancé) and she’s setting this up for him. She’s never killed a turkey and I aim to help them this spring here in indiana.

Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

jryser wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 9:54 pm
hoobilly wrote:

Lottery for the Eastern zones is not a problem. Tags still available after the draw and into the season. Hunt till you score???? Even with a tag you still have to pick a season!!
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Its too bad its Iowa for turkey might be worth it if it was good deer ground to me. A turkey is a turkey especially an eastern. And for $278 bucks to kill one eastern on a hunt you have to pick a zone and apply and maybe only get 5 days to hunt well there a way better opportunities in my
opinion. But I guess the prospect of free private land to hunt does take some of the sting out but I hunted public and found lots of birds to work even with competing against others with no ethics lol. I stopped several times to talk to resident hunters and when they saw the out of state plates they wouldn't even give me the time of day made me feel good to kill one of their birds when most off them seemed to be struggling lol. I have 5 points for deer but doubt I will use them as I can imagine the reception I would get in deer season after what I got in spring turkey ! Too bad because it was a nice place to hunt !
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

timbrhuntr wrote: January 24th, 2019, 11:45 am Its too bad its Iowa for turkey might be worth it if it was good deer ground to me. A turkey is a turkey especially an eastern. And for $278 bucks to kill one eastern on a hunt you have to pick a zone and apply and maybe only get 5 days to hunt well there a way better opportunities in my
opinion. But I guess the prospect of free private land to hunt does take some of the sting out but I hunted public and found lots of birds to work even with competing against others with no ethics lol. I stopped several times to talk to resident hunters and when they saw the out of state plates they wouldn't even give me the time of day made me feel good to kill one of their birds when most off them seemed to be struggling lol. I have 5 points for deer but doubt I will use them as I can imagine the reception I would get in deer season after what I got in spring turkey ! Too bad because it was a nice place to hunt !
I cant imagine how they treat out of state deer hunters :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

timbrhuntr wrote: January 24th, 2019, 11:45 am Its too bad its Iowa for turkey might be worth it if it was good deer ground to me. A turkey is a turkey especially an eastern. And for $278 bucks to kill one eastern on a hunt you have to pick a zone and apply and maybe only get 5 days to hunt well there a way better opportunities in my
It is down right a joke for deer hunting, 'Wago Beef is Cheaper"! $450.00 doe $650.00 for a buck tag if your drawn. Its all about hunting with the family for me, "Only"..
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

hoobilly wrote: January 24th, 2019, 3:28 pm
I cant imagine how they treat out of state deer hunters :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:
It is a joke for deer hunting!! Its all about hunting with the family for me...

Return to “Gobbler Talk”