David Austin Passes

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

David Austin Passes

Post by HunterGKS »

I spent a lot of time at Fisheating Creek Hunting Camp in Florida & enjoy talking with David.
He was a great proponent for the wild turkey & was part of the transplant effort of the Osceola.
He was adamant about using 7 1/2 shot for turkey hunting & always gave me what for about using
4x6 duplex loads. He finally worn me down & is the reason I tried & still use Federal 7 Heavyweight
shells. This is just 1 of many memories I have of my time spent with David.

Condolences to his family & friends. He will be missed. The turkey world has lost a great advocate.

David Arthur Austin

I am sad to inform friends of the passing of my Father. This is his obituary. Please feel free to share
this with friends. I have tagged many of you but have surely forgotten some. Thank you in advance
for any kind words. David Harold Austin passed away peacefully at his home in Lake Placid, Florida
on December 6th, he was 88. David was born September 3rd, 1930 in Sebring, Florida to Arthur E.
and Fern Austin of Lake Placid, Florida. He was an avid outdoorsman and was most comfortable when
he was in the woods. He spent his childhood hunting and fishing and joined the Air force in 1950 where
he was stationed in France and Germany as a medic during the Korean war. It was in Germany that he
met his wife Elly. He went to college at the University of Florida on the GI Bill while raising three
daughters. After College he moved to Sebring and worked as a wildlife biologist with the Florida Game
and Freshwater Fish Commission. During this time, he did field research on the Florida Wild Turkey and
was considered one of the foremost experts in the country. He retired after 26 years working for the state
of Florida. After retiring as a wildlife biologist, he started Florida Wildlife Services, a hunting lease
operation with a partner, Lovette Williams and later became sole owner. He retired in 2010 and continued
to be active raising beef cattle at his home in Lake Placid. He is preceded in death by his parents Arthur E.
and Fern Austin, his wife Elly Schuster Austin, his brother Elden Austin (Emma) and his sister Retha Sapp (AJ).
He is survived by his four children, Heidi Stivender of Sebring, Jocelyn Miller of Lakeland, Sandra (Louis)
Gomez of Tucson and David A. Austin of Sebring, five grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren. Services
will be held at the Community Church of God at 735 S Sun N Lake Blvd., Lake Placid on Wednesday, December
12th at 11 AM. The family ask that you donate to the Community Church of God building fund or St. Jude
Children’s Research Hospital, in lieu of flowers.
FECHC3 2002.jpg
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

hookspur

Re: David Austin Passes

Post by hookspur »

Definitely a pillar of the wild turkey restoration movement.
firedup

Post by firedup »

Another big part of our living history of the wild turkey passes. RIP Mr. Austin.
Hoobilly
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Hoobilly »

sorry to hear
a lot of the old timers who helped out so much have passed on their ethics so that they would still carry on
Don't start none, won't be none!

https://foxtrotammo.com/
MAK

Post by MAK »

Class act was a great contributor to our hunting heritage. RIP Mr. Austin
MAK

Return to “Gobbler Talk”