Wing Bones.

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
redarrow
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Wing Bones.

Post by redarrow »

For those of you who make wingbone callers,how do you clean the bones ? Is there a simpler way than boiling and scraping ?Also can I use bleach to whiten ?
Put you plans in the nail scarred hands.
decoykrvr

Re: Wing Bones.

Post by decoykrvr »

After cutting off the ends of the bones and cleaning out the bone marrow you can place them in a glass jar and soak the bones in a diluted mixture of dish washing liquid, clorox bleach and water in the sun for several days prior to boiling to loosen the remaining tissue. I always change out the liquid and rinse off the bones a couple of times during this process which will leach out the oils and reduces the scraping and boiling time. After boiling and for a final cleaning, I use stiff bristle stainless steel brushes on both the interior and exterior of the bones and dry/bleach them in the sun. Use the bleach sparingly, since it will actually dissolve or break down the bones. I hope this helps.
firedup

Post by firedup »

Yes, what he said. Very good description and easy to do. Cutting the ends off is critical because it lets the marrow and grease get out. I just say it again because its that important. I do boil mine pretty good because the steam and boiling forces more junk out. JMO But some others ways to approach it... Use a hydrogen pyroxide mixture. The mix they use to "bleach" hair is about perfect. Buy it a drug store I think. It will clean and brighten up the bones without bleach issues. A bronze wire brush chucked in a drill press or power drill cleans em fast. The better you clean them up front, the better color and hue you will get in the end. Its fun to build them. Good luck!
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

I boiled and scraped mine initially, then soaked in regular, brown bottle hydrogen peroxide for a day or two. I was very pleased with how they turned out considering these were the first 2 I'd ever made.

Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
jryser

Wing Bones.

Post by jryser »

I’m pretty sure I remember scraping the heck out of em and then boiling in hydrogen peroxide and water - 1:1 mix. Also used a few homemade bore snakes specific for each bone that really cleaned out the insides. I made several and gave them to friends, but my first call is the one I called my Iowa state record bird in with!!!

It’s taken on an “old bone” color which is really cool. Love the call!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
decoykrvr

Post by decoykrvr »

I too have used hydrogen peroxide, but prefer the bones to have an ivory/bone color rather than the bright white hue. I've done a lot of wing bones w/ a thread wrap, but the last few years have primarily utilized cut-off center-fire rifle cases to sleeve the radius and ulna bones for additional strength. A .257 Roberts case fitted and glued w/epoxy makes a very durable caller which will develop a nice patina. The wing bones from snow geese make a good higher pitched call and I'm getting ready to make a few utilizing the wing bones from sand hill cranes. As an aside, the diameter of the hole where suction is applied on the radius bone is critical which is why you will hear folks utilizing radius bones from jakes and hens for their smaller internal diameter. I typically will fill 1/4" of the radius (the suction portion) w/ epoxy and drill a 3/32" hole into the dried epoxy which will produce a desirable ID on radius bones obtained from mature gobblers and larger jakes. I make a lot of two bone yelpers and will utilize a Drimel tool and sand paper to fit the bones and thin-out the mouth and ID of the ulna for greater resonance.
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

Jbird22 wrote: September 27th, 2018, 9:34 pm I boiled and scraped mine initially, then soaked in regular, brown bottle hydrogen peroxide for a day or two. I was very pleased with how they turned out considering these were the first 2 I'd ever made.

what did you wrap them with?
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
jryser

Wing Bones.

Post by jryser »

guesswho wrote:
Jbird22 wrote: September 27th, 2018, 9:34 pm I boiled and scraped mine initially, then soaked in regular, brown bottle hydrogen peroxide for a day or two. I was very pleased with how they turned out considering these were the first 2 I'd ever made.

what did you wrap them with?
Mine were thread wrapped. As an old RC plane modeler, I used modeling hardner for the seams, and once that hardened then the thread, finished with epoxy on the thread only. I was going to use copper wire - which I did for a subsequent call I made for Aaron Warbritton from The Hunting Public. I’ll see if I can get a pic from him!

The bone was once pure white but it’s taking a nice ivory tone now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by jryser on September 28th, 2018, 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

I used BCY Polygrip center serving cause it's what I had on hand. I sealed the wraps with superglue.
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
crow

Post by crow »

I think getting them de-geased gives the best tonal sound. I cut the ends off, get as much marrow cleaned out first, boil in laundry detergent.
soak in peroxide for a day and let dry.

I make them to hunt with and don't leave them the white peroxide color either, a mild stain tones them down. I do leave the mouthpiece unstained to see it was degreased.
crow

Post by crow »

The coffee that is made from strained civic cat poop they are talking about on the other thread makes the best stain.

just don't tell people what it's made from.
The special coffee/cat smell will go away after a couple days of airing it out.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”