Thermacell fuel

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Thermacell fuel

Post by Turkinator »

Has anyone tried refilling the Thermacell fuel cylinder? Do the refills work as well?
ccleroy

Re: Thermacell fuel

Post by ccleroy »

Yep, you can YouTube the directions....they work great and save me money. I buy the pads off eBay as well.
Longspurs

Post by Longspurs »

I refilled a bunch for some reason the original plastic bottles wouldn't fill up completely only about a little over half way....but still way cheaper than the store bought.
As far as the homemade pad refills I've seen guys using permethrin which is not safe permithrin is a poison that when dry is ok but heating it and breathing in the fumes is a whole lot different. Refill the fuel buy the pads ....my advice
Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run »

I bought some inexpensive refillable lighters and cut the valves off the bottom, then shaped them as close to cylinders as I could with a dremel tool. Then, I drilled a hole the the bottom of a spent ThermaCell cartridge and epoxied the valve into the bottom of the cartridge. Once the epoxy cures, they can be filled with butane for lighters. Works well and is much less expensive than buying new replacements.

I bought a 100 pack of HIT mosquito repellent pads last year in Indonesia for less than $2.00. They're not as big & don't last quite as long as the ThermaCell pads. They have kind of a floral scent, but they definitely help keep bugs away. In Indonesia, HIT sells small in-home 220 volt plug-in heaters made for their pads to keep mosquitoes at bay. They work pretty well, kinda have to, considering that part of the World has malaria, dengue fever, and who knows what other kinds of mosquito-borne diseases.

Jim
Jbird22

Post by Jbird22 »

Refilling is quick and easy. Get a pair of pliers, wrap some blue painters tape around the brass nipple (not to damage/mar it), and pull it out. Then, take a small screw and screw in into the piece (check valve) just beneath where the brass nipple was. Pull out the check valve with the screw. Snap the brass nipple back into place. Fill with the butane of your choice. I get mine off Ebay with the nozzle tips in the cap. If the canister fills and then stalls, just take a paper clip or something of the sort and relieve some of the pressure. It should continue filling after that.
Contact Info - 4XWADSLITTER@GMAIL.COM
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by howl »

Heating permethrin? If they weren't stupid enough before they will be after.
fountain

Post by fountain »

ccleroy wrote: September 2nd, 2018, 1:01 pm Yep, you can YouTube the directions....they work great and save me money. I buy the pads off eBay as well.
You mind posting a link to the pads on Ebay? You using the little ARS pads?

Return to “Gobbler Talk”