Toughest State You Ever Turkey Hunted

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: Toughest State You Ever Turkey Hunted

Post by timbrhuntr »

I would agree with the mountain bird statement if the birds aren't talkative like MKW said . In NC I hunted some mountain birds that were not very vocal and it was a tough hunt until the one morning that 2 toms sounded off and I was able to get close to them but out west I found that the birds were very vocal and not hard to find . The only hard thing was getting up high on those ridges without coughing up a lung LOL
guesswho
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by guesswho »

The toughest state I've hunted is Alabama, which is also the easiest state I've hunted.
Double Naught Spy!
RCD's Owner----------------Badonka Deke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff-------------Lighter Than HTL Shooter
The Storm Whistle Prostaff
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey Calls Prostaff
dirtnap

Post by dirtnap »

Mountains of NC.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

I will say that eastern ky was tough due to terrain but the birds were not tough to call up once you got on their level
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

guesswho wrote: July 1st, 2018, 11:50 am The toughest state I've hunted is Alabama, which is also the easiest state I've hunted.
There is so much Truth in this. Don't care of your locale.
Gobblegitr

Post by Gobblegitr »

PA public land-I got hunted myself (my wife sez I am a turkey) despite minimal calling. Any gobbling caused a stampede of guys blowing owl calls like their life depended on it.
Turkinator
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by Turkinator »

The state where you meet this guy
b87db5aa211dfc8ebe271abdba6ab1fa.jpg
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

Thats a bama bird they are toughest and smartest of any subspecies in fact I believe they are their own separate subspecies ! :D
Their only fault is their susceptibility to the badonkadeke .
poorcountrypreacher

Post by poorcountrypreacher »

A turkey doesn't know what state he is in, and state lines have nothing to do with how easy or hard a turkey might be to kill. My opinion is that it is all about the population on a particular property and the amount of pressure they have on them. Unpressured turkeys in areas that have good populations are usually pretty easy to kill. You can always mess up a hunt, but I am talking about averages.

And a pressured turkey in an area that doesn't have many in the first place is a real challenge. KS turkeys are usually regarded as being comparatively easy, but I got on a couple of gobblers one year that were as spooky as any paranoid Eastern on public land.
Gobblegitr

Post by Gobblegitr »

poorcountrypreacher wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 4:18 pm A turkey doesn't know what state he is in, and state lines have nothing to do with how easy or hard a turkey might be to kill. My opinion is that it is all about the population on a particular property and the amount of pressure they have on them. Unpressured turkeys in areas that have good populations are usually pretty easy to kill. You can always mess up a hunt, but I am talking about averages.

And a pressured turkey in an area that doesn't have many in the first place is a real challenge. KS turkeys are usually regarded as being comparatively easy, but I got on a couple of gobblers one year that were as spooky as any paranoid Eastern on public land.
Right on...pressure makes diamonds but it makes for spooky turkeys too
Fatmo

Post by Fatmo »

BumbleFoot wrote: June 29th, 2018, 11:01 pm
Fatmo wrote: June 29th, 2018, 9:42 pm Alabama - Mississippi back in the mid 80's!!!!
Interesting you say that. I don’t know a thing about MS, but that was the heyday of turkeys in the southern half of AL. I miss them days.

I’ll pick the mtns of northern GA just for the terrain. I hate steep hills...
The reason it was so tough was due to the continued pounding of the public ground by some of the countries best turkey hunters.. Very limited private ground! I killed birds while stationed down there, but it was tough.. Every state can be tough at times but those 2 stick out in my mind..
Shiloh

Post by Shiloh »

Louisiana
quavers16

Post by quavers16 »

I would say Pennsylvania. I just seem to see more Hunters on Public Land then even my home State of New York.
WoodMoose

Post by WoodMoose »

normally my "easy state" but SC this year,,,,dang birds kept kicking my butt
GobbleNut

Post by GobbleNut »

The states (and Mexico) I have hunted are, in order of amount of time hunted there (public or private land), and ranking of difficulty (hardest to easiest) based on my hunts there:

State:...................................................................................................Rank:
New Mexico (home turf..50+ years....vast majority public land).............................not ranked due to my obvious familiarity and bias
Oklahoma (many times....50/50 public/private)................................................5
Texas (many times....private)......................................................................10
Mexico (five times....private)......................................................................LAST.... Goulds are EASY
Florida (four times...almost all private)..........................................................6 (I suspect this would be #1 on public land)
Utah (twice....public)...............................................................................8 (tie)
Tennessee (once....public).........................................................................1 (only state I have hunted that I did not have an opportunity to kill a bird)
West Virginia (once...private).....................................................................7
Mississippi (once....private)........................................................................2 (tie)
Georgia (once....private)...........................................................................2 ((tie)
Alabama (once...public and private)..............................................................2 (tie)
Colorado (once...public)............................................................................8 (tie)

Now, if I was going on a general PUBLIC land hunt in any of the states I have hunted, here's the difficulty level I would anticipate (from hardest to easiest):
Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Texas, Colorado, Utah,...(Mexico is not applicable, and again, NM left off intentionally)

Return to “Gobbler Talk”