out of state hunt

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
Big Pine

out of state hunt

Post by Big Pine »

Ok fellas,I figured id try it one more time. Anyone know of a fair priced hunt that I could take my son on? Were coming from Michigan and would be interested in somewhere within a couple day drive. Cant really afford the Cabelas approved outfitter type hunt as the entire cost of the trip is on me.Id like to stick with private land,If possible.Way too many knotheads on public (ive completly quit duck and goose hunting because of it.Actually had shot rain down on the bill of my hat,people messing with my truck,ect)! I appreciate any direction.
howl
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: out of state hunt

Post by howl »

The extra cost with those booking agencies covers the headache of finding a good spot. If you can pull some extra work or something to cover the extra cost, the time spent might work out to be the same.
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

What exactly is your price range? I have places in multiple states with cheap trespass fees and I'm sure many others do, but man you take them to the grave. Only those super tight to me know them.
timbrhuntr
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by timbrhuntr »

So whats a fair price hunt almost free lol
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

For me, you are leaving us with too little information to really help. What's fair price to you? What do you want included in here that price?

Lodging, meals, guided or semi guided?
Remember license cost are extra.
Big Pine

Post by Big Pine »

timbrhuntr wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 12:15 pm So whats a fair price hunt almost free lol
You sound like an outfitter,lol.No,not at all.Just when every thing is on ya,gas licence,food ect,it could turn into 4000 grand real quick. A lot of guys go with a buddy or group and much of the traveling expenses can be split and they are responsible for just themselves.If all I had to do was pay for myself,no problem but everything is doubled .
ICDEDTURKES
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by ICDEDTURKES »

Big Pine wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 2:30 pm
timbrhuntr wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 12:15 pm So whats a fair price hunt almost free lol
You sound like an outfitter,lol.No,not at all.Just when every thing is on ya,gas licence,food ect,it could turn into 4000 grand real quick. A lot of guys go with a buddy or group and much of the traveling expenses can be split and they are responsible for just themselves.If all I had to do was pay for myself,no problem but everything is doubled .
I work for an Outfitter but before sal and I'd hit 3-4 states for 7k or so. No it's not cheap but it was our vacation, we'd see our friends laying on a beach at sandals resort and coulda done the same for what we paid.

I gave you an option, timbr did too and he's well traveled and wouldn't steer you wrong. Until I was in this business at two different Outfitter, I never realized the cost of leases, overhead and why they charge what they do.
Big Pine

Post by Big Pine »

ICDEDTURKES wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 2:47 pm
Big Pine wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 2:30 pm
I work for an Outfitter but before sal and I'd hit 3-4 states for 7k or so. No it's not cheap but it was our vacation, we'd see our friends laying on a beach at sandals resort and coulda done the same for what we paid.

I gave you an option, timbr did too and he's well traveled and wouldn't steer you wrong. Until I was in this business at two different Outfitter, I never realized the cost of leases, overhead and why they charge what they do.
Oh,I'm not questioning that at all.Ive been on
Several dozen big game hunts before I had kids.A lot of costs are beyond the outfitters control.1200 dollars for a deer licence or 750 for an antelope. I know all too well.Those days are long gone for me now.I also know ,from talking to guides,that most couldn't afford to go on the hunt they are guiding for.
Jstocks

Post by Jstocks »

I'd lean towards Nebraska or Kansas.
Reasons:
(1) reasonable enough drive from Michigan
(2) Rio hybrids are more visible in the terrain they inhabit, and they can be easier to hunt than easterns
(3) tags available over the counter
(4) you can find an outfitter likely to work something out with you on the price. From my experience I've paid from $1000 to $1400 in these areas for hunts. Those hunts included lodging/meals

I'd find a reputable outfitter in the areas you are interested in and call them to ask about options for what you are looking to do. Maybe some of them will charge you extra for room and board for your kid like a non hunter, but let you each kill one bird?

Sounds like a couple guys reached out to you with options.

You may want to check out somewhere that charges a bird fee for a kill and a daily guide fee. I believe some reservations may have guides you can get for a day fee. Then you are responsible for lodging and meals.
MKW
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by MKW »

Get yourself a Kansas WIHA map and then book a hotel near a large concentration of available land. DIY is always more rewarding and there are plenty of birds in most of KS.
Ultimate Predator
trkykilr

Post by trkykilr »

You either need to invest money or time. You will get put of that investment exactly what you put in. If you go cheap, you will get cheap. Of course you can always get lucky when taking the cheap route, but you will usually get what you pay for. If you can't afford to do it right, save for another year and do it right the following year.

With two weeks of research I could leave your house and drive 10 different directions and kill a truck full of turkeys on public land. It would cost me gas, beer, honeybuns, and TSS.

Return to “Gobbler Talk”