2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 28

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 28

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 28 – 05/20

Well, as Dandy Don used to sing: “Turn out the lights, the party’s over!!”

I got to the woods at 05:33 with the temp 61, very overcast, & calm but the air was damp. Nothing was stirring at all. I decided to change things up just a little & sent out some tree calls at 05:50, earlier than usually but just trying to let anyone that might be out there that a hen was waking up. I called every 10 minutes or so but nothing. At 08:30, a pair of squirrels showed up playing tag. They only stayed around for a few minutes. At 09:00, I could hear a lot of thunder rolling to the west. Since I didn’t want to get caught in a t-storm, I headed out at 09:30.

I tried to go out this morning with a positive attitude but it was tough. I was hoping to at least see a hen but, sadly, my expectations were low & they were met. This will be the 1st time in 10-15 years that I have been completely & totally snookered. Part of it was my fault starting with a miss of an easy shoot on opening day in Ohio followed by passing on a shot in NY & ending with letting a jake walk the middle of week 3 in Ohio. I worked 1 gobbler in Ohio & 2 in NY; saw another gobbler & a jake in Ohio, & no other gobblers in NY. You can’t shoot what you don’t see. It certainly wasn’t from lack of trying on my part. Out of 28 hunting days, I was out on 24. I didn’t hunt on 4 days, 2 were 8 hour driving days, 1 with extreme cold (for me) 30 & WC of 25, & I where the NWS called for storms all day with none developing but which I needed as an R&R day. I guess it just wasn’t meant to be.

It’s on to groundhog hunting with squirrels coming up on Sept. 1 followed by fall turkey in Oct, then deer in Dec., & YIPPEE, YAHOOEY!!!! SPRING TURKEY SEASON!!!! (Did I really just say that?? I must be outta my freakin’ mind!!!!)
I__00033.JPG
I__00034.JPG
I__00046.JPG
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Grumpy
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 28

Post by Grumpy »

By any chance did camodude mentor you on turkey hunting.............. :LMAO:
I was not his father but he was my son,,MAK IV, 10-15-1993 - 4-22-2007
"Rest in Peace my Little Buddy"
MAK

Post by MAK »

It happens streaks end, you gave it your best effort, I admire your persistence

Look out squirrel and groundhogs

Sleep in tomorrow buddy ya earned it!
MAK
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

MAK wrote: May 20th, 2018, 1:41 pm It happens streaks end, you gave it your best effort, I admire your persistence

Thx. It will be a long time before I quit kicking myself for the miss.

I've been waking up between 04:00 & 04:30 for a month now. I'll stay up later tonight
but I'd bet dollars to donuts, I wake up early tomorrow. The difference is, I hope to be
able to roll over & go back to sleep.
George

jhogue

Post by jhogue »

“There’s alway next year” doesn’t make it feel any better, but it’s all you’ve got to hold on to at this point. Can’t get those misses and decisions not to shoot back. You sure put in the work.
jryser

Post by jryser »

HunterGKS wrote:
MAK wrote: May 20th, 2018, 1:41 pm It happens streaks end, you gave it your best effort, I admire your persistence

I've been waking up between 04:00 & 04:30 for a month now. I'll stay up later tonight
but I'd bet dollars to donuts, I wake up early tomorrow. The difference is, I hope to be
We remember the misses and the mistakes until we score again! I always feel “only as confident as my last shot!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

jhogue wrote: May 20th, 2018, 5:07 pm “There’s alway next year” doesn’t make it feel any better, but it’s all you’ve got to hold on to at this point. Can’t get those misses and decisions not to shoot back. You sure put in the work.
I usually just let go of the misses within days but this 1 was just bad that it will stick with me for awhile.

Letting the jake walk & not taking the shot on a gobbler don't really bother me as it was probably the right
thing to do at the time. As we all know, hind sight is 20-20.
George

HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Post by HunterGKS »

jryser wrote: May 20th, 2018, 5:49 pm
HunterGKS wrote:

We remember the misses and the mistakes until we score again! I always feel “only as confident as my last shot!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most misses don't stick with me for very long, I don't forget but don't dwell on them
This 1 was inexcusable & will be with me for awhile.
George

Return to “Gobbler Talk”