2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 25

A general discussion area for turkey hunters.
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 25

Post by HunterGKS »

Day 25 – 05/17

For the 1st time this season, I slept until the alarm went off. I’m usually up by 04:30 at the latest. Just 4 weeks ago, I was thinking: “AW MAN!!!! 3 DAYS & A WAKEUP!!!!” Today I’m thinking: “aw man….3 days before I get to sleep in….”

It was 55, with starry, clear skies, & calm at 05:28 this morning. I did a little calling at 07:00 since there had been no roost gobbles, & got no response. I called sparingly every 30 minutes or so all morning with nothing calling back.

At 09:30, I walked to the edge & spotted a bird about 200 yards from me hauling buttocks to the woods. I think it was a hen based on the way it ran, low to the ground & really pickin’ em up & puttin’ em down.

At 10:42, I spotted another coyote trotting along the edge heading west. It got to where I had set-up yesterday & stood this morning, made an abrupt u-turn & went back the way it had come. I believe it smelled my scent & decided it wanted nothing to do with me.

By 12:00, I was bored almost to tears & decided to head home. It’s 1 thing to sit with the possibility/anticipation of some action & a whole nuther when you don't expect anything to happen. I have sat until 05:00 P.M. before but that’s when I knew there were birds around. As the Irish side of my family would say: “O’well.”

The plan for tomorrow is to go to my 2ndry woods &, at some point, take down the blind as it will be the last sit at that spot. Then Sat. & Sun. sit in my primary spot & take down the blind sometime Sun. as it is the last day of the Ohio Season.
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

MAK

Re: 2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 25

Post by MAK »

I’m petitioning Webster’s to have your picture placed next to the definition on the word Persistence

Hope springs eternal in the heart of a turkey hunter
MAK
HunterGKS
Gobbler Nation
Gobbler Nation

Re: 2018 Ohio Spring Turkey Season Day 25

Post by HunterGKS »

MAK wrote: May 18th, 2018, 4:25 pm I’m petitioning Webster’s to have your picture placed next to the definition on the word Persistence

Hope springs eternal in the heart of a turkey hunter
Well, I think that, if you weren't a masochist before you start hunting turkeys, you dang sure are after.
Then, if you introduce someone else into the "sport", you become a sadist!!
George

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR BODY STILL. YOUR HEART JUST HASN'T CAUGHT ON.

.17 = NITRO OF THE RIMFIRE WORLD USAF 1969-1973

Return to “Gobbler Talk”